• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

St1X

Reaction score
Richemont trash question - if an AD carries some Richemont brands, but not others...do you think it is possible for them to order a watch from one of the other brands that they are not explicitly listed as an AD for?
Ask them, not us :)

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May just be me, but I do not understand, at all, the desire to spend that much money on one element of a watch when the rest of the watch is a $1-2k watch.
I don't disagree with you. Do you feel the same way regarding precious metals, or just things like enamel dials and other handcrafted features?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
May just be me, but I do not understand, at all, the desire to spend that much money on one element of a watch when the rest of the watch is a $1-2k watch.
Like I said, the price is stupid. But, to be fair, it’s more like a $15K watch without the engraving/enamel.

They say the engraving and enamel work takes 55 hours a piece. $85K is exceptionally lucrative money for a little more than a week’s worth of work. Let’s just leave it at that.

Richemont trash question - if an AD carries some Richemont brands, but not others...do you think it is possible for them to order a watch from one of the other brands that they are not explicitly listed as an AD for?
Generally no. The ADs deal with the individual brands, not the conglomerate.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you. Do you feel the same way regarding precious metals, or just things like enamel dials and other handcrafted features?
Depends on the premium for the precious metal.

RobinMA

Reaction score

RobinMA

Reaction score
I hate to tell you but your TheFoo ship has set sail.

You’ve got to let that lost love sail off into the sunset.

He’s embarked on moving the goal post once again after all.

An explorer without an Explorer if you will.

The life of an IB/PE baller leaves little time to participate in something as silly as this thread.

More Richemont trash without case flaws please!
Serious question - dont you think this Foo-bashing is really bordering on mobbing?

Look. There is a guy who owns more supercar-level watches than most of us here. Upper class, top uni, IB. Prototype SF member, instead of 40,000$ millionaires with Big Pony poloshorts from the outlet village.

Just tone it down a bit, will you?

RobinMA

Reaction score
Like I said, the price is stupid. But, to be fair, it’s more like a $15K watch without the engraving/enamel.
Arent many of PP's enamel handcrafts with Lake Gevener scenes also based on a pedestrian 5196/5296 minus date window?

Now, the ultimate Fuckology the Fuckmeister would be.....

....a Quartz Aquanaut, no: a Quartz Epillipse d'Or with an enamel dial.

Platinum Quarz Aquanaut with enamel Disney dial.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a "no" when I was in Vacheron and got into a side convo about Lange. The SA had previously worked at the Lange boutique and seemed happy to help me with them - if I decided on that direction - but could only really order Vacheron (I believe...it's possible I misunderstood...). There seems to be a lot of overlap between the boutiques, but ultimately still in their own lanes. Not sure if this is specifically regional or pervasive...

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a "no" when I was in Vacheron and got into a side convo about Lange. The SA had previously worked at the Lange boutique and seemed happy to help me with them - if I decided on that direction - but could only really order Vacheron (I believe...it's possible I misunderstood...). There seems to be a lot of overlap between the boutiques, but ultimately still in their own lanes. Not sure if this is specifically regional or pervasive...
Ah, gotcha...yea the one AD I pop into every now and then has all the brands that I like with the exception of ALS but they do carry a number of other Richemont brands but with the current state of Rolex, I'd hate to break up my any potential spend across different ADs

thuhoan

Reaction score
My AD couldn't. Dropped the deal with Cartier and JLC and was not able to order a Santos for me.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Arent many of PP's enamel handcrafts with Lake Gevener scenes also based on a pedestrian 5196/5296 minus date window?

Now, the ultimate Fuckology the Fuckmeister would be.....

....a Quartz Aquanaut, no: a Quartz Epillipse d'Or with an enamel dial.

Platinum Quarz Aquanaut with enamel Disney dial.
They are generally based on a 5296 case, yes, but they also use the caliber 240 micro-rotor movement. The 5296 was a ~$30K watch. With the thinner caliber 240, it could easily have been in the ~$35K range. In other words, a completely different universe versus a basic Reverso in gold.

But more important is the difference in enamel work! What Patek does is in a different stratosphere versus the simple tiger on the $100K Reverso in question. Plus, these enameled Calatravas go for $80-100K (last I checked).

The JLC folks are either high on something or hoping enough people are super stupid with both their eyes and wallets.

B21F642B-ADA7-4BBB-95F6-46FAFEC06F6A.jpeg

FBA9D421-8AB6-417C-B946-2A59A0A35747.jpeg

F8B4EFAD-CF98-4FED-B3D0-4333C1EE121C.jpeg

D5B9A6D4-D315-4089-AE36-A30967537E50.jpeg

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the premium for the precious metal.
Pretty much what Foo said. Depends on the premium. I do struggle to find value in a JLC gold watch, for example.

For me, the distinction between JLC and Patek RHC is, while they are the same price ($80k plus), the underlying watch is much nicer with the Patek RHC. If the JLC reverso was finished to a different, higher standard I could easily change my mind. (Note: it would be awesome if JLC had a higher end reverso).

I think the Oris is a better example with my beef. An enamel, artisan dial when the remainder is like 1/26 of the total price of the watch. At least with Patek RHC the dial is 2/3 or less of the total price of the watch.

And yes, I understand this is arbitrary. And I have zero interest in buying a Patek RHC when I could buy something more horologically, yet less artistically, interesting.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pretty much what Foo said. Depends on the premium. I do struggle to find value in a JLC gold watch, for example.

For me, the distinction between JLC and Patek RHC is, while they are the same price ($80k plus), the underlying watch is much nicer with the Patek RHC. If the JLC reverso was finished to a different, higher standard I could easily change my mind. (Note: it would be awesome if JLC had a higher end reverso).

I think the Oris is a better example with my beef. An enamel, artisan dial when the remainder is like 1/26 of the total price of the watch. At least with Patek RHC the dial is 2/3 or less of the total price of the watch.

And yes, I understand this is arbitrary. And I have zero interest in buying a Patek RHC when I could buy something more horologically, yet less artistically, interesting.
I kind of want the bald eagle Calatrava.

Featured Sponsor

What's the biggest deciding factor for you when making a clothing purchase?

• Style of an item

• Price of an item

• Material of an item

• Brand

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahoyo1