• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re: the 5227 v. 6119 discussion

I'm curious to see what they will do with the 5196 replacement if the rumors of the discontinuation are true. A 6196 version would be interesting with the same sizing/movement as the 6119 but a more subtle case.

I hope that wouldn't jump the price too much, as $30K for the entry level piece is a bridge too far for me compared to the alternatives (ALS, FJP, Vacheron, etc.)

RobinMA

Reaction score
1. Wear them as "daily rocker" instead of an ubiquitous SS "diver" or, worse "pilot" watch. The movement is robust and should be able to take a hit, accuracy will be better than anything mechanical, pre owned prices will be far below any "Batmans" or "Cokes". And the case, strap, dial and general DNA will still be a Patek.

Think about cars. X350 XJ was available with a 2.7 diesel engine, Bentley Arnage was available with a very good 4.4 BMW engine, Maserati Ghibli is available with a diesel engine. Or think about the rare and quirky Mercedes 123 300D turbodiesel only available in the United States.

2. Yes it will not be for everybody. But the same goes for the questionable Neptune, or this one model which looks like the child of an Aquanaut and Nautilus in two-tone.

3. If a watch "aficionado" points out that you are wearing a "cheap" quartz PP, or even a "fake", either smile and say nothing, or gently engage that person in a discussion and, step by step, reveal the details of your collection of grand complications. Heffernan would say "Shutty Town".

4. In terms of obscurity, it surprised me that the Japanese have not already picked up on this.

5. They were developed during the era of Henry Stern, even before Philippe Stern took over. Historically significant, also in light of the "Quartz Crisis" of the Swiss watch industry.

6. I think it is the ultimate fuck-out for fucking all these pretentious "oh I am a man of good taste" spurting out their internet wisdom on status symbols.

7. It is for dyed in the wools collectors who collect, who do not have to prove themselves by acquiring Veblen goods.

8. Oysterquartz have developed a fan base, too.

Afterthought: How about modding a quartz PP, I am thinking about making the seconds hand going backwards (!). Haute hologerie meets 1970s meets Alice im Wonderland.

And again - if you don't "like" PP quartz, don't destroy this discussion as you would not destroy a discussion about straps in a colour you don't "like", or a brand that you don't "like".
@TheFoo
you still need to agree to these points

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re: the 5227 v. 6119 discussion

I'm curious to see what they will do with the 5196 replacement if the rumors of the discontinuation are true. A 6196 version would be interesting with the same sizing/movement as the 6119 but a more subtle case.

I hope that wouldn't jump the price too much, as $30K for the entry level piece is a bridge too far for me compared to the alternatives (ALS, FJP, Vacheron, etc.)
Not sure why everyone is saying that the 5196 has been discontinued. It is still on the Patek website while discontinued models, e.g., 5711, have been removed.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure why everyone is saying that the 5196 has been discontinued. It is still on the Patek website while discontinued models, e.g., 5711, have been removed.
Solid sources say it has been.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean I think its all hearsay and rumor at this point, but I was going off of a large-ish list that was posted on Rolex Forum's Patek board. Also, one of the large local AD SAs told me directly that it was on deck to be discontinued this upcoming year.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super special model custom made for IB/PE baller community. Regular folk need not apply.
I have 11 pairs of Alden cordovan long wings and only just realized they don’t really work for me as a One-Shoe. Can’t stress enough that I probably wouldn’t have made this discovery prior to my 11th pair...

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 11 pairs of Alden cordovan long wings and only just realized they don’t really work for me as a One-Shoe. Can’t stress enough that I probably wouldn’t have made this discovery prior to my 11th pair...
Hahahaha.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to get into shoes/boots because it's not the right place, but have you ever looked at Edward Green, Saint Crispin's, or Crockett & Jones? Feel free to PM me, if interested in this kind of stuff.
Those are all too fancy to wear with my Richemont trash...need to keep my look coherent! ;-)

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members