• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

pmeis

Reaction score
There are people who say that things like cables and AC/DC "cleaners" and so on make a difference in high-end hifi.

Why not.

But then shouldn't the brand of a quartz watch's battery (looking at you, quartz Aquanaut) also make a difference in accuracy, desirability and/or authenticity of a watch?

Those who don't like quartz Aquanauts please refrain from participating in the discussion. Remember that we are discussing finishing of the inside of lugs, and other detailed details of things, too. We discuss things like antimagnetic cases, or even tourbillions, things which make no or very little difference to how a watch does its job, at least under real-life conditions.

So what is the original brand and specification or PP's quartz batteries (Japanese? hopefully Swiss?), how do you thing about "upgrading" batteries or even having them made "bespoke"?
These people are generally morons or people with entirely too much money and often both (I work in the audio industry). I have no opinions on quartz Aquanauts.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are people who say that things like cables and AC/DC "cleaners" and so on make a difference in high-end hifi.

Why not.

But then shouldn't the brand of a quartz watch's battery (looking at you, quartz Aquanaut) also make a difference in accuracy, desirability and/or authenticity of a watch?

Those who don't like quartz Aquanauts please refrain from participating in the discussion. Remember that we are discussing finishing of the inside of lugs, and other detailed details of things, too. We discuss things like antimagnetic cases, or even tourbillions, things which make no or very little difference to how a watch does its job, at least under real-life conditions.

So what is the original brand and specification or PP's quartz batteries (Japanese? hopefully Swiss?), how do you thing about "upgrading" batteries or even having them made "bespoke"?
I upgraded to a lightweight lithium battery for my car, so I suppose this isn’t the biggest stretch.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any power reserve indication on digital casios? Like, do you know how much battery life remains on the watch? I’d hate to be out in the shit, depending on my super accurate, well equipped digital watch, only to have it die unexpectedly....One benefit of old-school automatic movements?

Does temperature have any effect on the battery life?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any power reserve indication on digital casios? Like, do you know how much battery life remains on the watch? I’d hate to be out in the shit, depending on my super accurate, well equipped digital watch, only to have it die unexpectedly....One benefit of old-school automatic movements?

Does temperature have any effect on the battery life?
It was only an overnight trip, but I did have the battery die on a digital watch during a backpacking trip once. Last time I'll take anything but an automatic.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How did you chose the right one?
Off the shelf or bespoke?
Aftermarket performance parts for Porsche 911s is a well-developed but niche market (even more so with respect to GT3s)—i.e., there are only so few options. For lightweight lithium batteries, there are three choices. One is not available in the U.S. Of the other two, one is lighter and has better features for less money. If I recall, I paid something like $1,200 for mine. The other one would have been $2,000 and is a worse battery. Easy decision.

RobinMA

Reaction score
Aftermarket performance parts for Porsche 911s is a well-developed but niche market (even more so with respect to GT3s)—i.e., there are only so few options. For lightweight lithium batteries, there are three choices. One is not available in the U.S. Of the other two, one is lighter and has better features for less money. If I recall, I paid something like $1,200 for mine. The other one would have been $2,000 and is a worse battery. Easy decision.
Why didn't you let them build a custom battery for you? Given how batteries are constructed, customization should be fairly easy.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why didn't you let them build a custom battery for you? Given how batteries are constructed, customization should be fairly easy.
Not sure if you're really that stupid or just trolling. It's hard to tell with you sometimes.

RobinMA

Reaction score
I don’t like quartz anything, but vibes around high-end quartz watches are certainly building up.
I am ONLY talking quartz PPs here

Think about their rareness

How quirky they are

The reverse-reverse snobbery (let this sink in)

How to customize one (think: platinum battery etc)

You have something noone has

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads