• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m browsing for a moon watch right now and somewhat torn as almost all my kit is on SS bracelets but that watch in particular seems to lend itself to a black or brown calf or croc strap. I remember Clooney wearing his on a black calf strap in ‘The American’ which may have subversively wormed its way into my subconscious and influenced my attraction for that look.
Dude, never watch “The American” if you don’t want to become addicted to speedy pro acquisition! Haha!

I bought mine on the bracelet, but have worn it almost exclusively on brown leather strap. Love this watch!!!

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
Dude, never watch “The American” if you don’t want to become addicted to speedy pro acquisition! Haha!

I bought mine on the bracelet, but have worn it almost exclusively on brown leather strap. Love this watch!!!
Since getting my speedy hesalite last week, it literally hasnt left my wrist except to sleep.

jmbb

Reaction score
First post! Picked this up some months ago after a long time deliberating on a first nice watch, and found this thread incredibly helpful during the process.

The aim was to go for a dress watch, something timeless to anchor an eventual set of two or three watches (famous last words). The target had been the steel MUT Moon, but after trying on the Saxonia Thin that was that---initial budget be damned. The 5196 and VCT couldn’t sway things; the 1815 Up/Down nearly did, before deciding that it would read too similarly to a not-yet-existing chronograph in the not-too-distant future (this is how it begins).

I love the brick-like density of the thing, how light reflects off the faceted indices, and that it’s so understated no-one will know they’re looking at a Richemont peasant.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 2.42.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 3.16.25 PM.png

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very close to the top of my shopping list, to the extent I can justify having one. Torn between rose and white gold (40mm).

The blue enamel dial is also a dark horse to consider, probably in white gold. Dunno. Navy dials seem to be more practical in nature, so perhaps best to leave that for the Omegas of the world.

ronscuba

Reaction score
My 0.02 but I don’t like to see divers on leather straps. Seems incongruent to me. You are essentially saying “I have bought this watch which is water’proof’ to a depth of 200 metres and I have ZERO intention of getting it wet!”?

I realise of course that part of the attraction of rugged tool watches is their over-engineering. Something like a speedy which was not intended for the ocean seems to pair better with leather straps.
Well, the whole dive watch category is about looks. Depth ratings 100m or more ? Helium escape valves ? Kind of silly.

As a diver, if I am going to wear a dive watch, it will be vintage style with a leather strap or mesh bracelet.

If I am going diving, I wear a dive computer.

mebiuspower

Reaction score
First post! Picked this up some months ago after a long time deliberating on a first nice watch, and found this thread incredibly helpful during the process.

The aim was to go for a dress watch, something timeless to anchor an eventual set of two or three watches (famous last words). The target had been the steel MUT Moon, but after trying on the Saxonia Thin that was that---initial budget be damned. The 5196 and VCT couldn’t sway things; the 1815 Up/Down nearly did, before deciding that it would read too similarly to a not-yet-existing chronograph in the not-too-distant future (this is how it begins).

I love the brick-like density of the thing, how light reflects off the faceted indices, and that it’s so understated no-one will know they’re looking at a Richemont peasant.

View attachment 1742443
View attachment 1742458
Nice score! Yes the other two are not even close. I also have the chorno as my grail...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1742443
View attachment 1742458
Love this watch so much!!!!

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1742443
View attachment 1742458
Hell of a first post.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It’s too late matey. I’ve seen the film a few times and the fix is in. I’m not that fussed about the minutia I just want a weekend hesalite beater. Seems like approx $4k is the threshold on the grey market but if anyone looking in has a contact that can hook a brutha up please PM me!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the whole dive watch category is about looks. Depth ratings 100m or more ? Helium escape valves ? Kind of silly.

As a diver, if I am going to wear a dive watch, it will be vintage style with a leather strap or mesh bracelet.

If I am going diving, I wear a dive computer.
Yeah we’ve had this before. I’m old school and actually do wear and use a dive watch when I’m diving. I have the most basic hose computer I could get and was half considering just getting analogue gauges!

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
It’s too late matey. I’ve seen the film a few times and the fix is in. I’m not that fussed about the minutia I just want a weekend hesalite beater. Seems like approx $4k is the threshold on the grey market but if anyone looking in has a contact that can hook a brutha up please PM me!
For the current reference, I found grey's right around $5200 or so. They all said not much discounting for the current versions because the rising prices on Omega's side. Happy to put you in contact with my guy.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm presently leaning hard toward Lange 1, but 1815 and Saxonia are still contenders - along with 5196p (need to see one in the metal) and VCT (going to try one on this week).

Featured Sponsor

What do you spend most of your clothing budget on?

• Outerwear

• Tailoring

• Sportswear

• Footwear

• Accessories

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philliidgesa