• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can’t read the name moser without thinking of @edmorel

On another note one of my favorite actors is coming out with watches :https://www.instagram.com/jcvdshop/p/CZC_Yi1MuO7/?utm_medium=copy_link

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talk about having to spend extra money for the watch you really want... $200k for the car, and they're only making 750 of them. Yet, they're making only 500 of the watch but it comes with the car? I'm not a mathmagician or anything, but there seems to be a problem with those figures...
It seems there is a special edition of the Chronograph 1 for purchasers of the car.

"As a counterpart to the new sports car, Porsche Design is producing 750 Chronograph 1 – 911 Edition 50Y Porsche Design watches exclusively for purchasers of the car. The watch is a nod to the original Chronograph 1, but with modern logos and fonts as well as details that evoke the car. The design of the oscillating rotor matches the wheels of the car, and the rotor cap bears the Porsche crest like the car’s center wheel locks."

Link to the full article.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The logo on the moon phase really kills it for me.
Several makes have placed their name there, AP, VC, Breguet, GP. Doesn't bother me at all, but I can see it not appealing to everyone.

I strongly prefer the triple sub-dial layout of the 5740. The RO PC’s dial, being completely filled with sub-dials, is less comfortable to look at, somewhat disorienting, and maybe even a little disturbing. Like a human face with an extra nose coming out of its forehead.
4 subdials actually a very common layout by several other makers such as AP, VC, GP, Breguet, and Lange. I personally prefer the 4 identically sizes subdials to Patek's use of a large subdial at 6 including the date, and then smaller subdials at 3 and 9. The lack of symmetry in terms of the subdials on that Patek bothers me. It seemed less evident on their older pieces such as the 3940 and 5040.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4 subdials actually a very common layout by several other makers such as AP, VC, GP, Breguet, and Lange. I personally prefer the 4 identically sizes subdials to Patek's use of a large subdial at 6 including the date, and then smaller subdials at 3 and 9. The lack of symmetry in terms of the subdials on that Patek bothers me. It seemed less evident on their older pieces such as the 3940 and 5040.
I've come to appreciate the iconoclasm of the older VC Overseas chrono, making the registers different sizes (with the implications for orderly spacing) and giving the subdial tracks different visual weights. It nags at the eye initially but becomes almost a welcome novelty with some familiarity.

VacheronConstantinOverseasChronograph_blueDial_49150_b01a-97451_1800x1800.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've come to appreciate the iconoclasm of the older VC Overseas chrono, making the registers different sizes (with the implications for orderly spacing) and giving the subdial tracks different visual weights. It nags at the eye initially but becomes almost a welcome novelty with some familiarity.

View attachment 1742022
For me, the second generation VC Overseas didn’t work. I tried them on when looking at luxury sport watches years ago. I like VCs, but I disliked so much about this watch, the clunky design, the way the lugs look from the side and meet the bracelet, and the dial. I disliked the multiple sizes of the subdials, the different distances it creates between the continuous seconds subdial and the minute and hour subdials, the different styles of hands for the subdials, all the writing in the subdial for seconds. Those were just a few of the things I didn’t like about the watch. Overall, I prefer the original VC sports watch the 222 or the first and third generations of Overseas to second generation.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1742022
I do with they stuck with the big date complication for the third gen chrono. Big improvement over a 4:30 date IMO

Scuppers

Reaction score
For me, the second generation VC Overseas didn’t work. I tried them on when looking at luxury sport watches years ago. I like VCs, but I disliked so much about this watch, the clunky design, the way the lugs look from the side and meet the bracelet, and the dial. I disliked the multiple sizes of the subdials, the different distances it creates between the continuous seconds subdial and the minute and hour subdials, the different styles of hands for the subdials, all the writing in the subdial for seconds. Those were just a few of the things I didn’t like about the watch. Overall, I prefer the original VC sports watch the 222 or the first and third generations of Overseas to second generation.
Agree with all of that. I quite liked the Phidias.

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
8763DE08-DBA0-47EA-AD0D-8D6EA011235C.jpeg

Can’t remember if I posted it here already or not but here’s the 1968 transitional Speedmaster I picked up. Should be here Monday. Bezel is more worn than I’d like but outside of that it’s exactly what I was looking for. Recessed subdials on these look much better than the flat dials imo. Running within COSC spec which is really nice. This one has the 861 movement which isn’t a column wheel chrono, but as a result it can be serviced a lot more easily. This is important to me because I intend on using it as a daily. No OG bracelet but I hate them anyways on Speedmasters…so nice getting the discount.

Still hunting a 5513 down for the vintage end of things.

Definitely a lot more attracted to vintage Rolex and Omega than modern pieces. Love the look of aged dials specifically.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What do you spend most of your clothing budget on?

• Outerwear

• Tailoring

• Sportswear

• Footwear

• Accessories

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James1380