• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m still leaning toward Lange 1 for next (big for me) purchase. Patek 5196p would be my other option at this point (I know they’re completely different animals), but not feeling up to all the anxiety of properly vetting and hunting down the watch...

Having done only cursory searches, how hard is it it find these in really good shape? View attachment 1740126
I own four watches (including two Pateks). But if I were limited to one watch, this would be it. It is gorgeous and uber versatile.

RobinMA

Reaction score
5196P is serious peak Patek IB/PE baller territory because of anecdotal content of the watch, you can tell so many stories about platinum, Breguet numbers how suddenly the petite size of the movement does not matter because P.

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is how I feel about it’s SBGW267 brother that I habe.
Can you post another picture of your SBGW267?

Yeah, this model was never on my radar but the case is stellar and is GS doing what it does best.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snowy Thursday : PAM 00111: Circa 2006

Still running great. While I lean towards smaller watches this fits me well.

Perfect example of you should try watches on. At 44 feels just right.

Meanwhile I just sold a 43mm IWC because it felt giant.
IMG_6001.jpeg

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you replace "I think I might grow a beard" with "I think I might buy a Speedmaster" then this clip sums up a lot...

pmeis

Reaction score
Can you post another picture of your SBGW267?

Yeah, this model was never on my radar but the case is stellar and is GS doing what it does best.
Last picture is the 267 next to the SBGM241 which is a GMT model in the same case but 2mm bigger in diameter and thickness. Even though the GMT is way fatter than it needs to be, it still wears very nicely. The case being bigger/fatter in some ways highlights how nice it is.

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last picture is the 267 next to the SBGM241 which is a GMT model in the same case but 2mm bigger in diameter and thicker. Even though the GMT is way fatter than it needs to be, but still wears very nicely. The case being bigger/fatter in some ways highlights how nice it is.

Nice. I've noticed for some time that most of "non-sport" Grand Seikos look really good on casual straps like the one in your first photo.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agreed. I really dig how that looks on a casual strap.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The SBGW231 is the Grand Seiko I'd get if I were to get a Grand Seiko. Exemplifies all the stuff they do best without overreaching into areas where other makers are more interesting or better-executed.

pmeis

Reaction score
Nice. I've noticed for some time that most of "non-sport" Grand Seikos look really good on casual straps like the one in your first photo.
I have a decent variety of 19mm straps now, so its been fun experimenting with different looks. These waxed canvas ones from Delugs might be my favorite right now. Still haven't tried out a recent ostrich strap I bought though.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
I have the Forstner contemp flatlink in brushed on the way. Will post pics with my gen2 Seamaster when it arrives.
Well, it arrived and I thought it was disappointing, so I sent it back.

Instead purchased this one from Strapcode, which turned out to be more along the lines of what I was looking for -- more comparable to the original OEM bracelet in terms of thickness and presence:

It's not at the level of quality as the OEM bracelet, but for the money it's not bad at all, and it has an adjuster built into the buckle which is nice. Here are a couple pictures:

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found this on the internet and made an impulse purchase. It hasn't arrived yet so I may be jumping the gun ... but got this for so little that I've crossposted in the poor man's watch thread. The dial is restored, the buckle is not original, the calibre is the 852 and the case is 35mm in steel and dates from the 60's (so acrylic crystal) ... but darn I'm attached already. Then again, I am an IWC fan and love the simplicity of their "dress" watches from that era.

It has an elegance and is understated. Okay, the black dial is a tad dramatic but it's hardly ostentatious. Few people are going to look twice. And it's pre-Richement and even pre-LVMH Group. ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics