• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Heavyweight Tees Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's popular heavyweight tees are now restocked, in three styles, so there is something for every style. They are available in three classic colors: white, black, and the heather grey featured here.. These high quality tees are staples that work in every seasons. Check them out here here

If you have any questions for the designer, please, he is a valued and active member and sponsor of the community, and can be found here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! In terms of dealing with magnetic forces associated with flying: Wouldn’t the soft inner casings be a completely antiquated way to make a watch resist magnetism (these days)?

Antiquated or not, it may still be a good system of making a watch antimagnetic. Two watches that illustrate that are the modern Rolex Milgauss and the modern Santos de Cartier. Both are highly antimagnetic. As many people here know, modern Rolex watches use a blue parachrom hairspring. Blue parachrom is a paramagnetic alloy (Niobium and Zirconium) and it is unaffected by magnetic fields. Yet, Rolex still encases the movement in a 2 piece ferromagnetic shield. In addition, Cartier's movement in the Santos de Cartier's movement has nickel phosphorus components that make it very resistant to magnetism, and the the movement is covered by a paramagnetic alloy inside the case. So it seems these two watch making giants are still covering their anti-magnetic movements with anti-magnetic shields.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Antiquated or not, it may still be a good system of making a watch antimagnetic. Two watches that illustrate that are the modern Rolex Milgauss and the modern Santos de Cartier. Both are highly antimagnetic. As many people here know, modern Rolex watches use a blue parachrom hairspring. Blue parachrom is a paramagnetic alloy (Niobium and Zirconium) and it is unaffected by magnetic fields. Yet, Rolex still encases the movement in a 2 piece ferromagnetic shield. In addition, Cartier's movement in the Santos de Cartier's movement has nickel phosphorus components that make it very resistant to magnetism, and the the movement is covered by a paramagnetic alloy inside the case. So it seems these two watch making giants are still covering their anti-magnetic movements with anti-magnetic shields.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t the entire line of Omega watches using their current (after 2014ish?) master co-ax escapement antimagnetic beyond 15k gauss (or at least various sports models), by dint of the movement alone (silicon, etc...)?

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t the entire line of Omega watches using their current (after 2014ish?) co-ax escapement antimagnetic beyond 15k gauss (or at least various sports models), by dint of the movement alone (silicon, etc...)?

TBH, I can't comment on that. While I like the Speedy Pro, in general I'm not that interested in most Omegas so I haven't read much about their other watches.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t the entire line of Omega watches using their current (after 2014ish?) master co-ax escapement antimagnetic beyond 15k gauss (or at least various sports models), by dint of the movement alone (silicon, etc...)?
Yes, pretty much.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBH, I can't comment on that. While I like the Speedy Pro, in general I'm not that interested in most Omegas so I haven't read much about their other watches.
I only bring it up because watches like the Milgauss are pretty antiquated in terms of antimagnetic abilities since current technology allows cosc + metas certified movements to be manufactured using new materials. The idea of NOT having a closed case-back and NOT having the iron coil/casing were used as an accusation against functionality, when, in fact, it would seem that achieving better functionality is achievable via innovation?

edit: I’m basically saying foo is wrong for insisting that a pilot watch needs to look and be built in the same manner it was in the 20th century to function properly. Innovation.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

side note - current speedy pro is as anti-magnetic as Milgauss.(crazy, right?)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only bring it up because watches like the Milgauss are pretty antiquated in terms of antimagnetic abilities since current technology allows cosc + metas certified movements to be manufactured using new materials. I only bring this up because the idea of NOT having a closed case-back and NOT having the iron coil/casing were used as an accusation against functionality, when, in fact, it would seem that achieving better functionality is achievable via innovation?

Well, unless you place your watch regularly on floor standing speakers, a standard watch even without a paramagnetic movement will probably be just fine in most average circumstances. The only time a family member's watch has been magnetized on more than one occasion, was when Mrs. Dino's office at the hospital was near the MRI department. Once her department moved to a different part of the hospital, this stopped happening to her automatic Cartier Tank Francaise.

The Milgauss may seem antiquated in terms of technology, but in a comparison with Omega's 15000 Gauss both suffered no ill effects from being placed on a 4,000 Gauss magnet . https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a...15000-gauss-and-a-4000-gauss-neodymium-magnet

Neither are my favorite offerings from either brand, but I'd still prefer the Milgauss.

ronscuba

Reaction score
........I'd still prefer the Milgauss.

Yeah, I like that character too.

millhouse_by_alexkidd2_d4klctz-fullview.png

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I like that character too.

millhouse_by_alexkidd2_d4klctz-fullview.png
Sorry don't get it.

Speedy all day

Speedy over the 15,000 Gauss every day and twice on Sundays.

Sub, GMT, Daytona, Explorer II, Explorer over the Milgauss, because in the grand scheme of things I've never had magnetism issues with my watches.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry don't get it.

Speedy over the 15,000 Gauss every day and twice on Sundays.

Sub, GMT, Daytona, Explorer II, Explorer over the Milgauss, because in the grand scheme of th no ings because I've never had magnetism issues with my watches.

pun= Milhouse vs Milgauss

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScentedClown