• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

But how high is the watch?  I'm guessing around 38mm?

Overall size of the case (including lugs) is 23 x 39 mm, while the actual watch measures 23 x 27.5 mm.
That's the size of the original 1930s model. The recent '1931 Tribute' was a size bigger at 27.5 x 46 mm.

I do like the small size. It's my 'chic and simple' dress watch.

Last edited:

IGotId

Reaction score
That's a beautiful team right there.

So, you want to flip the Speedy for a more glamorous chrono on a bracelet. That seems to be the summary.

Your choices are a 15202, the new VCOC, a Daytona or a used 15300. The last two are not far apart in price. The VCOC is a significant step up, and the 15202 significantly more again.

The fact that you're thinking about the 15202 despite its seeming to be over budget, suggests that you lust for the RO more. A used 15300 is your joint-cheapest option, and it will not depreciate a bit - just in case you get the urge to flip again. If you can find a nice clean one, and I'm sure they're out there, that would seem to be the logical answer. Of course the Daytona is great too, but as you already have a great Rolex and balance seems to be your thing, I think the 15300 is probably where you're going.

I would throw in a wild card though: as you like the VCOC, and you are happy conceptually with the used watch idea, how about an older one? A late 49140 can easily be found under $10k, it's the same size more or less as the Jumbo or the Daytona, it's cheaper than any of them and you can keep your Speedy. And although it's hardly celebrated on TWAT, you saved quite a bit (a Speedy at least), and you are less likely to see another one at the golf club.

Thanks for the compliment!

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear; I'm not interested in the VCOC, rather the VC Overseas 3-hander...I've found the 2nd gen VC to be a bit too large (fully realizing that it's only 1mm larger than the current version).

I suspect you're correct, I am favoring an AP however I'm leaning towards the 15202.

First, very nice collection of watches. You definitely have good variety in terms of brands, designs, and function. All of the watches you mentioned have their pros and cons, but all are very good choices. I think where you are considering this as a piece to "Complete your collection" and as a so called "Final Purchase"...that you really need to try to see and try on as many of these watches as possible in order to determine which one makes you smile the most.

Perhaps since you already own a BLNR and a chronograph, maybe something other than the Daytona will add additional variety to your collection (although, I do like the Daytona a lot). Also, ask yourself if there are certain factors that are deal breakers for your so called "Final purchase." You mentioned the 15300 isn't available NIB. Does the watch need to be BNIB...if so the 15300 is out of the running (they have been out of production for almost 5 years).

In addition, while to the casual observer the 15202 and 15300 look the same, they are vastly different watches. Without trying them on in person, you might be second guessing yourself as to which is the right one for you.

I like VCs a lot, but prefer their dress watches to their sports watches...so the Overseas wouldn't be my first choice in this bunch, but maybe it would be for you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks Dino!

I've only been able to try on a 15202 which was exquisite. I haven't been able to try on the 15300, Daytona, or the new VC...

Great collection you have there. I think if you go with a Daytona you might also think about flipping the Speedy in that instance as well. As for your list, I'd go the Daytona route or maybe the RO route, but while I definitely can appreciate the RO it's not entirely my cup of tea. I also think that in some ways it's like the BLNR in that it's a tool watch.

What I think you're "missing" if you will is a dress watch. That immediately came to mind reading your post. An 1815 or a Saxonia come to mind, but there are of course other options out there. At the end of the day though I think you just need to go with your gut. The best thing about soliciting advice is maybe getting a new idea or two, but I'd go with the watch that excites you the most not matter it is.

I don't dress up enough to justify a proper dress watch. The Reverso fits that role for me at this point.

I suspect that if I do go w/ the 15202 or 15300 I may end up flipping the panda Speedy for a new Daytona at some point.

LOL @ the bolded. I think you've come to the wrong group with that sort of attitude
smile.gif

I agree with mimo's thoughts re: 15300. Also think BLAUGRANA may be on to something regarding a dress watch, *IF* you'll get a lot of use out of it. I often think of getting a pure dress watch, then I come to my senses and realize the times I'd personally need something dressier than your Reverso are very few and far between. But, hard for me to ever go against a suggestion of an 1815.

Great collection you've got. Also, I am mortified at some of the above suggestions to flip that beautiful Speedy!

Thanks!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh hai guize.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a GRUT like Keith T's but in stainless steel. Does that mean I will not be getting a Tank Louis Cartier in the future. No. But if and when I do I will keep my Reverso, I do not see them as substitutes for each other.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a preferred Rolex Submariner reference guide online? It is a family watch, two-tone, blue and gold, from maybe the 80s or early 90s. When comparing it to another two-tone watch from the same period, the watch faces are different colors. I am just looking to find out some more information.

Also at some point the watch was serviced from a jewelry store....will a RSC service the watch now?

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dial archive on vintagerolexforum.com is one of the better resources out there, but you might not find much on the 16803 and 16613 variations.

Service is no problem; they won't care if it's been done by an independent. If there were any off-brand components installed, expect them to be replaced, though.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Does anyone have a preferred Rolex Submariner reference guide online?  It is a family watch, two-tone, blue and gold, from maybe the 80s or early 90s.  When comparing it to another two-tone watch from the same period, the watch faces are different colors.  I am just looking to find out some more information.

Also at some point the watch was serviced from a jewelry store....will a RSC service the watch now?

I think there may be more than a few people here that can help if you post some pics. There are also quite a few knowledgeable people over on TheRolexForums that could help. If you didn't feel like setting up an account over there, I could help you out. Just let me know.

RSC will service the watch, but as Belli said, any non-Rolex parts will be replaced at your cost.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dial archive on vintagerolexforum.com is one of the better resources out there, but you might not find much on the 16803 and 16613 variations.

Service is no problem; they won't care if it's been done by an independent. If there were any off-brand components installed, expect them to be replaced, though.

Thanks! Seems the watch is a 16803 as it is not a nipple dial but we know it is not new circa 2000s. Hoping boxes and papers are at another house but we will not know for another week.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Thanks!  Seems the watch is a 16803 as it is not a nipple dial but we know it is not new circa 2000s.  Hoping boxes and papers are at another house but we will not know for another week.

If the watch is old enough to have lug holes where the bracelet attaches to the case, it would be quite easy to pop off the 12 o'clock side and have a look at the model number. Serial number is on the 6 o'clock side and will let you approximate the age.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are the few pictures I took of the watch. It is sentimental to my wife as it reminds her of her grandfather. Watch is back in a safe for now and we haven't brought up the subject of potentially purchasing it. Just looking for more information currently. Sorry for the bad pics.

b959825a5dcc3b127f5aeca0309b8c9f.jpg

7ac2e86a8a38e0a12db80b0bf340a169.jpg

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Dial looks alright to me. Looks like the normal, usual sunray dial. As I said you'll gain the most info by looking at the numbers engraved between the lugs on the case (or just wait till you get the papers).

Edit: Looks like this watch has solid bracelet end links. Does the clasp also have gold running through the middle to match the bracelet?

Last edited:

Dachshund

Reaction score
Did someone say Reverso?

My two cents as an owner of a steel GT and the above RG GD.

I wear the GT on a black strap and exclusively with suits or black tie (shirt studs are silver). It is too small and dressy to wear casually, even on the brown strap I originally bought it on.

The GD is chunkier and on a brown strap and can be worn more casually. As I've posted before, I love the size of the case and the balance of the dial. I have quite a flat wrist and it wears very comfortably. I wouldn't wear it with a suit, but I do wear it with separates when I am wearing brown shoes.

Mrs Dachshund has a RG Duetto which she can dress up or down - it works really well. I'll try to post a family shot some time.

I understand the criticism of there being too many variations. Even if you forget about the Squadra, which is an abomination in my view, there are a lot of different choices and they keep changing things - for example, the current mid tier complications don't excite me at all. I'm also luke warm on the various vintage re-editions. I'm just glad to own a couple of examples from the range. Would I add another? Perhaps the tourbillon they did in RG a few years ago, which is beautiful. Perhaps one of the hyper-complications if I won the lottery, although they are very thick. Otherwise I'm probably done with my two examples.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love dat!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ordered a couple of straps from Bulang and Sons for my Metro on Saturday. They were shipped Monday from The Netherlands and were delivered to me in Chicago at 845am this morning.. I liked the black shell trap quite a bit, but really needed something brown to better match the majority of my clothing preferences. Only bother was the tang is pretty wide on these straps and the holes aren't, so it took a good deal of work to buckle the strap. Also didn't realize that the OEM strap was such a slim taper from 19mm to 18mm, so I couldn't use the Nomos buckle with the 16mm tapered end on these.
I really like the texture on that strap on the top. How would you rate the quality of the leather on these?

pmeis

Reaction score
I really like the texture on that strap on the top. How would you rate the quality of the leather on these?

The Lusso strap (i.e. the one that is installed in that picture) is very soft and supple. The stitching and edge finishing is about as nice as I've seen. The Saffiano strap with the crosshatch finish is a bit more interesting as it has a wax finish so the surface feels a bit "plasticy", which sounds worse than it is. The strap itself is a bit stiffer than Lusso strap but I'm sure will be fine after it gets some wear. The backs of both straps feature a very soft leather.

After buying thicker CXL leather straps for my Panerai, these are a very interesting change for not that much more money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads