1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wristandfeet

wristandfeet Well-Known Member

New to this thread. Have been busy over at the Alden thread to up my shoe game, but forgot about contributing here. This is one of my cherished pieces: a column wheel (cal 321) omega plain dial chrono from 1965

[​IMG]

17 people like this.
  2. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

in amazing condition too

3 people like this.
  3. wristandfeet

Thank you! Yes this one is among my favorites =)

4. apropos

apropos Senior member

That's a gorgeous example. Congratulations!

5. robw

robw Senior member

Nice. Here is mine. Gold filled case. This one doesn't really get much wrist time and I will probably let it go. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

How do you guys service your watch? Bring to Omega and they still got parts for 321?

Separate question, I know JLC service is probably going to cost like $1k these days, for JLC owner do you guys send to botique? Or there is someone in NYC you can recommend (my is new so not going to worry about for hopefully 5~7yr).

7. robw

robw Senior member

I have never had my Omega serviced so I can't say for certain, but the Omega 321 is a Lemania movement, 2310, I believe, which was not exclusive to Omega by any means. I would imagine parts would be not that difficult to come by. My guess anyway.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Its possible Omega still has the parts.

As for your JLC, bring it to JLC and have them service it. Its possible there are independent watchmakers who would be fine with it. However, I've seen far too many watches that were sent in for service to independents (to try to save some money) and they came back looking like sh*t. Also, many companies tightly restrict their parts supplies so that independent watch makers won't have access to actual JLC (or other brand parts). So IMHO, its worth it to have it serviced by the factory authorized service center (beside most will warranty their work for 1-2 years).

1 person likes this.
  9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

so you mean no service for like 30yr now?

10. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

probably a wise idea, though I suppose sending to factory is definitely a longer wait? guess more incentive to buy a second watch :p

11. robw

robw Senior member

I am not the original owner. It runs and works just fine and was serviced when I bought it some years ago, so I have not had to.

12. Viral

Viral Senior member

what is the diameter of the watch? looks like a 36mm to me..........nice piece!

13. robw

robw Senior member

Yes 36 or so.

Thanks

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Not necessarily a longer wait, but it depends on how backed up they are. To be honest, if you can get an independent to get a watch back to you in a really short time frame, I tend to wonder if they cut some corners (didn't fully disassemble the movement prior to cleaning and just put the movement in cleaning solution as several larger pieces), or if the guy isn't good enough to really have much of a clientele that need his services. Most places I've dealt with tend to say you will have the watch back in 10-12 weeks, however, the last time we sent my wife's automatic Cartier in for service we had it back in less than 6 weeks, and I think the last Rolex I sent in for service was back to me in 8 weeks. I will also mention, I did hear of one independent (who is supposedly really good and very sought after), I believe who specializes in older Rolex & Patek, etc...and he won't touch a watch for less than a service charge of something like $2K.

Anyway, good luck with whoever you decide to use for service.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  15. wristandfeet

Here is the fatter younger brother (grandson?) of the 321 chrono. The CK2998 LE Reissue. My favorite weekend wear.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  16. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Sweet.

Nice job of capturing the lume.

17. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

^ on my short list for this year. Omega is so ridiculous with the variants on that model (feels like 10 a year, minimum) but they get them right sometimes, this being one

18. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Has there been a year in the past 10 that Omega didn't have some limited edition variant of the speedmaster?

19. double00

double00 Senior member

The nike school of marketing, re-release with 'ltd ed' flavor

20. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

I think there is a moon watch limited edition every year.

Some good....like the FOIS...some bad....like the Apollo 17 40th anniversary watch

[​IMG]