• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I expressed myself badly. I meant to say that I did opt for one of the existing case materials. It's basically a Tank Cintrée on a platinum case. It's on the dial and the hands that I asked for some changes.

Gotcha. So I’m going to likely get hit with a premium far in excess of 20% if I’m upgrading from rose gold to platinum.

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
Gotcha. So I’m going to likely get hit with a premium far in excess of 20% if I’m upgrading from rose gold to platinum.
Most likely 40% rather than 20. Platinum is 15% more expensive than rose gold for the same model. It’s however exciting to create something according to one’s desires. It might be the natural choice for bespoke aficionados.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some better renders done on my desktop. Just for evaluating color combinations. With any of the below, I’d opt for a uniformly finished flat or glossy dial (no sunray, no guilloche). Also, may opt for Breguet hands. The last variation is a dark horse.

14BA8C18-C54E-4613-AEFE-7DD0097436E5.jpeg

92F2DFF5-8786-4EEB-9FF6-7611203BD5E0.jpeg

1A74DF3A-2D05-4970-9F5C-F17BF4F4CBDC.jpeg

0B0645F6-FAB3-452B-A300-7CCF0EA882B6.jpeg

RobinMA

Reaction score
Foo, I have been a "lurker" for quite a while, I have a question:

When you are talking about your purchases, e.g. clothing but also watches, you have a very strong attention to detail. I tried to follow your explanations about your recent Patek purchase and what is wrong with the watch's case (I could not see it on the pics). You seem to be in strict control of your belongings and your environment, with a laser-sharp eye for imperfections nobody else can possibly see. You also make up your mind about everything in your life, you take control over everything you can influence in terms of material good and their design and quality. Where is that coming from, this very detail-oriented view?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. Done right, nobody can.

Which raises the bigger question: if nobody can tell, what’s wrong with a proper restoration/refinishing?

This is one of the oldest philosophical questions of Western philosophy — often referred to as the Ship of Theseus. There are plenty of proposed solutions to the thought experiment but ultimately your attitude towards the question is a matter or belief that can’t be rationalised. Although the majority of the participants in markets in antiques, architecture, archeology etc. believe that untouched examples of things are more valuable than things that have been modified to restore them to their original condition. So to the extent you believe the outcomes of markets or majoritarianism represent truth of a kind, you have your answer.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I think you all need to bow in the face of watch greatness. The ultimate pinnacle of watches and my newest addition to the collection……

View attachment 1734197
I wore a GShock most of my Army career. Great field watch. Suunto fairly useful as well. Also, kindly move your plebeian backside to the Poor Man’s Watch thread. ?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foo, I have been a "lurker" for quite a while, I have a question:

When you are talking about your purchases, e.g. clothing but also watches, you have a very strong attention to detail. I tried to follow your explanations about your recent Patek purchase and what is wrong with the watch's case (I could not see it on the pics). You seem to be in strict control of your belongings and your environment, with a laser-sharp eye for imperfections nobody else can possibly see. You also make up your mind about everything in your life, you take control over everything you can influence in terms of material good and their design and quality. Where is that coming from, this very detail-oriented view?

Hmm. The short answer: probably some sort of psychosis.

The longer and more serious answer? Maybe because I like having a quasi-creative outlet. I was considered quite talented in the visual arts growing up (particularly drawing and painting), to the point where I took studio art classes in college and was encouraged to major in it. But I was also pretty good at academics and analytical thinking, and ultimately went down that path instead. So, now, I relish every opportunity to examine and fine-tune the aesthetics of a thing. Also, I was raised to appreciate and want nice stuff (blame my parents for that part).

montecristo#2

Reaction score
For full OEM checkout this thread for ideas. The lug holes should be the same on your Seamaster, the 2254, and my 2220.80

Tgank you both, super helpful!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is one of the oldest philosophical questions of Western philosophy — often referred to as the Ship of Theseus. There are plenty of proposed solutions to the thought experiment but ultimately your attitude towards the question is a matter or belief that can’t be rationalised. Although the majority of the participants in markets in antiques, architecture, archeology etc. believe that untouched examples of things are more valuable than things that have been modified to restore them to their original condition. So to the extent you believe the outcomes of markets or majoritarianism represent truth of a kind, you have your answer.

The fundamental issue with the Theseus’s ship question is that it presupposes (wrongly) that the ship is ever physically the same from moment to moment, regardless of how many planks are swapped out. In fact, physical things are always changing, however minutely, regardless of our pointed intervention. Even if no plank of the ship were ever repaired, the existing wood would nonetheless continue to dry out, rot, and be eaten by insects.

Put another way, to comment on “Theseus’s ship” without indicating at which exact moment of its existence you are referring is committing a mistake of vagueness that implies a philosophical problem when in fact there is none. Correcting for that linguistic sloppiness, it becomes quite clear: Theseus’s ship at moment zero is gone by moment zero plus one, regardless of any overt intervention. That’s all to say things are always changing and nothing is constant. What was Theseus’s ship is already gone.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maineswear