• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leaning toward buying. My thoughts are that 1) probably paying an NYC premium which, whatever but 2) I want to actually try on the watch before I buy it and 3) I'm gonna guess NYC probably has more used watches than other markets so it's worth exploring while I'm there
Try on what you want in NYC, then buy them somewhere else. NYC has plenty of watches to see, but many I see there are in rough shape unless brand new. In addition, their prices tend to be the highest anywhere. For those reason's I've looked at plenty of watches in NYC, but never purchased one there. Wishing you lots of luck.

Thanks for asking, it will be my only watch.
If keeping just one of your two Rolex watches, I'd keep the Batman. The GMT is water resistant to 100m/330ft. That's more than enough water resistance for most people, even if you go snorkeling or scuba diving. The GMT function is more versatile for traveling (be it for work or vacations). The bezel can be rotated just as on a Sub to keep track of when you started an activity, or to remind yourself when a parking meter might expire. In addition, I like the blue and black bezel, as it gives it a little color but is a little more subdued than the Pepsi bezel, and it sets it apart from most watches that have all black bezels. You can wear the GMT with anything you would wear the Sub with, as neither are true dress watches. However, if you need to maximize what you will get when selling a watch, as others mentioned the GMT is worth more than the Sub.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either would be a pretty good candidate for a "one watch collection" but I think then it boils down to two things:

1. Do you want a colorful watch that will pop (GMT), or a one that is a bit more understated (Sub)
2. Which complication do you think you will use more often (fam/business overseas or travel a lot = GMT, everything else = Sub countdown function).

Personally, I'm not a fan of the proportions of the maxi-case and smaller bracelet on the 11-series; I much prefer the 12-series or the older 5 digit references
Good post, agree with all of this.

jamesnyc

Reaction score
Either would be a pretty good candidate for a "one watch collection" but I think then it boils down to two things:

1. Do you want a colorful watch that will pop (GMT), or a one that is a bit more understated (Sub)
2. Which complication do you think you will use more often (fam/business overseas or travel a lot = GMT, everything else = Sub countdown function).

Personally, I'm not a fan of the proportions of the maxi-case and smaller bracelet on the 11-series; I much prefer the 12-series or the older 5 digit references
sorry for noob question, but could you please elaborate more about 11-series vs. 12-series? What are the big differences?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry for noob question, but could you please elaborate more about 11-series vs. 12-series? What are the big differences?
its a small difference, but the bracelet is wider on the 12-series, which gives it more of a gradual taper from the lugs to the braclet on the 11-series, which I think keeps the proportions much closer to the 5-digit references.

In my opinion the 5-digit references (14060 and 16610) are the ideal Rolex sport watch shape

82728F14-49AB-4A98-B26E-117E0CC52EA2.jpeg

C9D05D63-A3F2-4406-B5AC-E2F61C3395DA.jpeg

467A2F20-8EEE-4395-B0EF-01C3D3085C6C.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an [email protected] Red post, but here goes it - recently, I've been giving a lot of thought to this "hobby". So, here goes it, in no particular order.
  1. First, is buying watches really a hobby? Or is this mere consumption that we pass off as a hobby? As everyone in this thread is well-aware, buying watches is an expensive venture. Really, it is nothing short of absurd. And, as fast as I dove back into this hobby (head-first), I've decided to take a little time now to evaluate my next steps - including what it means to be interested in watches. I enjoy reading about watches, but I will not be happy with just reading about watches. I will never be a collector - in fact, I have zero interest in creating a watch collection (i.e., various iterations of a vintage watch, or having some thread that runs through my collection). Rather, I prefer to buy what I like. Instead, at this point, I guess I am better classified as an enthusiast as opposed to a collector. And I will say this, I find that watches are great at augmenting my other interests - specifically, I love to have a watch that I can wear when I ski, I find that I enjoy associating certain watches with playing with the kiddo, etc.
  2. The whole rat-race of this hobby is kind of exhausting right now. I like my AD a lot, but the difficulty associated with acquiring in-demand pieces is sort of outrageous. I found myself thinking about a "purchase plan", where I acquired several not-too-desired pieces to get other pieces that I do want. Then I sat back and though, this is just silly! I am sure this is all temporary, but I can see how this can wear someone out after a few years. It is hard enough to save the money, but to not be able to purchase what you want is tiring. And this goes beyond just Patek and Rolex and AP. A lot of sought after watches, whether it be the Cartier Cloche, the VC Everest, etc., are next to impossible to acquire. I hope this is not a growing trend of catering to the 1% of the 1%.
  3. In purchasing the 5205G, I feel like I am free - now that I have accomplished this "goal", i.e., Patek-ownership, I feel a massive sense of relief. However, I still do not feel wholly content. And perhaps I should have known that. In terms of my next target, whenever that might be, I am exceedingly undecided. I find myself wavering constantly, and I have far too many items on my wish-list. Spent a few days lusting over the SBGY007; then I switched over to the VC 1921; and now, I'm back on an old flame, the Lange Up/Down. I have not purchased anything, but I kind of feel like a guy who is now divorced from his first wife, and wants to dip his toes in the water. Do I go for the cheap date, who will be a fun romp with little long-term staying power (the new Aquastar II)? Do I opt for the classy, self-made woman I will have to work for (the Up/Down)? Or, do I stay single, and maybe think about how I got to where I am.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The three animating principles of our modern secular culture are consumerism, hedonism and narcissism. Buy whatever makes you feel good (about yourself) in the moment. When the effect wears off, as it tends to, buy something else. Small-timers have to sell occasionally during this process but not @George Red.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how we’re having a discussion about consumerism on a forum where we post pics of $2000 shoes, $20k watches or otherwise talk about how much we want these things.

It’s like having a discussion about asceticism and self control while in the waiting room of a whorehouse.

jamesnyc

Reaction score
its a small difference, but the bracelet is wider on the 12-series, which gives it more of a gradual taper from the lugs to the braclet on the 11-series, which I think keeps the proportions much closer to the 5-digit references.

In my opinion the 5-digit references (14060 and 16610) are the ideal Rolex sport watch shape

View attachment 1713860
View attachment 1713862
View attachment 1713863
This is very helpful, thank you. Thank you all help.
I decided to sell submariner 114060. If anyone interested in, please let me know! It’s pre-owned, purchase date is April 2020, and full set.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how we’re having a discussion about consumerism on a forum where we post pics of $2000 shoes, $20k watches or otherwise talk about how much we want these things.

It’s like having a discussion about asceticism and self control while in the waiting room of a whorehouse.
Well, to be fair, waiting in the room of a brothel demonstrates exemplary patience and self-control. Usually I just pick a room at random and barge in uninvited.

Featured Sponsor

Pocket square on a coat: yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 4 13.3%