• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all of this in-house movement talk - how are in-house JLC movements regarded?
Very high quality movements. Not quite on the level of PP, AP, and VC as far as finishing, but one would generally pay a lot more for a watch from the big three with similar case material and functions. JLC has supplied movements to PP, AP, VC, and Cartier, but they all finish the movements to their own standard. AP did own 40% of JLC years, ago, but they since sold their interest in the company.

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of JLC’s movements - I’ve had my MUT moon for nearly a decade, it has been subjected to significant use and mild abuse, and it is STILL running within a second or two per day. People can pick on JLC for design, but JLC makes a hell of a watch.

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took my Sub to a Rolex dealer and they gave me an appraisal for the replacement cost. I then added that appraisal to my Personal Articles addition to Renter's Insurance. Of course, the odds of finding a new Sub should mine get stolen are about zero and used ones are selling for about 40-50% more than the new ones. Ugh.
I had to increase the insured value of my Nautilus by so much that the broker expected the carrier to require a re-appraisal but luckily they just accepted it. I don't even know how one would go about getting a grey-market value substantiated in cases where it differs so much from MSRP?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had to increase the insured value of my Nautilus by so much that the broker expected the carrier to require a re-appraisal but luckily they just accepted it. I don't even know how one would go about getting a grey-market value substantiated in cases where it differs so much from MSRP?
At a certain point the watch isn't just worth owning anymore. I really wanted the white dial 5711 a few years ago but with the way values of the 5711 (and every other Nautilus variant) exploded the past few years, I probably wouldn't enjoy owning it. Same with the yellow gold AP RO 15202.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, not difficult to do. You simply go to a gray dealer that does appraisals. They have no problem appraising it for the "Market value", which is what they would sell it for, and the insurance company accepts their appraisal. I've done this with watches that were selling at over MSRP.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, not difficult to do. You simply go to a gray dealer that does appraisals. They have no problem appraising it for the "Market value", which is what they would sell it for, and the insurance company accepts their appraisal. I've done this with watches that were selling at over MSRP.
That sounds right. For items under a certain value they probably accept the appraisers findings. But if it’s over, I’m sure they want to appraise it independently so they can calculate the appropriate risk.

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
That sounds right. For items under a certain value they probably accept the appraisers findings. But if it’s over, I’m sure they want to appraise it independently so they can calculate the appropriate risk.
Can anyone pm me a gray that can do this? Looking to add a rider myself.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I bought my IWC, I asked the AD to provide me an appraisal at the same time. I then sent the appraisal along with pictures to the insurance company.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
I think most reputable places will do this…recently got one done for my GMT II…you want to ask for a fair market value appraisal
Hodinkee will generally insure your watches with no appraisal — unless you are trying to add a $100k watch or something. Just send a picture and the info and they make it super easy. It’s not expensive either, relative to others I’ve priced.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hodinkee will generally insure your watches with no appraisal — unless you are trying to add a $100k watch or something. Just send a picture and the info and they make it super easy. It’s not expensive either, relative to others I’ve priced.
yea, as of now I only have one watch insured and its wrapped up with my wife's engagement and wedding rings at Jewelers Mutual, who required an appraisal to increase my coverage to market value (approx 1.5x MSRP)

Once I get another significant watch, I may split off an do Hodinkee/Chubb

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
any tips on finding an IWC 3711?

chrono24 usually has like 2, the rest are 3713's or some other random IWC with a split seconds chrono.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.