• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It wasn’t. I put it in the center console of my car (along with my wallet) when I was at the gym. Like a dumbass I forgot to take them out that night and, just my luck, someone broke into my car that night.
ouch man. Sorry to hear that. Any chance insurance covered it?

I’m in SF and had 2-3 car break ins over really petty shit, kid’s diaper bag. After that other than car seats and hand sanitizer nothing visible in the car.

物の哀れ

Reaction score
I think the watch industry made a strategic mistake when “in-house movement” became a meme.

Very few have the business model to support the development of in-house moments.

So many faked it.

1635029241192.png

Instead, I think they should have developed their movement maker's brands, elevated their status, and embraced the fact that they source externally.

There’s an alternative reality where customers value a watch with Manufacture Horlogère ValFleurie made and branded movement.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ouch man. Sorry to hear that. Any chance insurance covered it?

I’m in SF and had 2-3 car break ins over really petty shit, kid’s diaper bag. After that other than car seats and hand sanitizer nothing visible in the car.
Unfortunately no. But I’ve learned my lesson. All watches and wife’s jewelry are at bank’s safety deposit box. Insured. When I get back to USA, I will insure through Hodinkee or some other insurance provider. Anyone have a particularly good experience with a watch/ jewelry insurer?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no. But I’ve learned my lesson. All watches and wife’s jewelry are at bank’s safety deposit box. Insured. When I get back to USA, I will insure through Hodinkee or some other insurance provider. Anyone have a particularly good experience with a watch/ jewelry insurer?
Not to rain on your parade, but a safety deposit box isnt exactly safe. Lobbying and deregulaiton over the years basically means that the bank has almost no responsibility to actually keep your shit "safe". Jeweler's Mutual and a good house safe are probably the way to go...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the watch industry made a strategic mistake when “in-house movement” became a meme.

Very few have the business model to support the development of in-house moments.

So many faked it.
Yes, movements by a larger, group-owned company that are dressed up as "in house" for that specific watch brand.

The Perezcope blog wrote a couple of really thorough, well-written articles about it recently, with a specific focus on the Richemont Group and its associated companies ValFleurier (movements) and Panerai, IWC and Baume & Mercier (watches):

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it’s called a personal articles I believe if you don’t own a home, if you own a home you can bundle.

FYI I am working with my insurance agent to insure my 2 Rolex. If you need I can intro you, I went to high school with the guy and he’s legit so lmk.

FYI to all, I have two friends in insurance so if you guys need help there dm me. Before folks jump to conclusions (yes this has happened) no I don’t get any referral bonuses out of this, simply a polite offer.

Not to rain on your parade, but a safety deposit box isnt exactly safe. Lobbying and deregulaiton over the years basically means that the bank has almost no responsibility to actually keep your shit "safe". Jeweler's Mutual and a good house safe are probably the way to go...
true. But the safety is the bank vault think of it as renting a space on a vault.
However I think safe deposit box is unnecessary if you insure your stuff so if it gets stolen who cares

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good insurance policy plus a safe. My watches are on my household insurance and cost surprisingly little to insure each year.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I knew that. I have a policy on the contents of my safety deposit box.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good insurance policy plus a safe. My watches are on my household insurance and cost surprisingly little to insure each year.
Yep. The ultimate solution will be a heavy home safe in the basement covered by a policy.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of like a Rolex Daytona with a Zenith movement? :devil:

(The lack of an in-house "engine" would not dissuade me from either if I had the money.)
Still there is a difference. With a watch such as a vintage Rolex Daytona 16520 with a Zenth based movement, the El Primero was not simply put into a Daytona as it was. Rolex made approximately 200 modifications to the movement, so it actually had more hand workmanship by Rolex than any other movement they were making at the time. Furthermore, when the 16520 Daytona was in production, not even Patek, AP, or VC made their own chronograph movements. They all depended on others for their chronograph movements.

As for Lotus, the difference was even back in 2009 when it came to road cars its main competitors all produced their own engines. The Toyota engine did give me pause, but it wasn't the only or main reason I didn't purchase a Lotus. Several other issues such as build quality, lack of authorized dealerships for warranty issues, (dealerships constantly close or give up the franchise within 2 years), and even a lack of independent service centers.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it’s called a personal articles I believe if you don’t own a home, if you own a home you can bundle.

FYI I am working with my insurance agent to insure my 2 Rolex. If you need I can intro you, I went to high school with the guy and he’s legit so lmk.

FYI to all, I have two friends in insurance so if you guys need help there dm me. Before folks jump to conclusions (yes this has happened) no I don’t get any referral bonuses out of this, simply a polite offer.

true. But the safety is the bank vault think of it as renting a space on a vault.
However I think safe deposit box is unnecessary if you insure your stuff so if it gets stolen who cares
I took my Sub to a Rolex dealer and they gave me an appraisal for the replacement cost. I then added that appraisal to my Personal Articles addition to Renter's Insurance. Of course, the odds of finding a new Sub should mine get stolen are about zero and used ones are selling for about 40-50% more than the new ones. Ugh.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.