• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
analog/shift has Submariner 16610 going for $14,500. Crazy fad-related pricing. I have mine insured for retail replacement value but that's likely a pipe dream. Can't remember the last time I actually saw a Sub in a store.

Last edited:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
analog/shift has Submariner 16610 going for $14,500. Crazy fad-related pricing. I have mine insured for retail replacement value but that's likely a pipe dream. Can't remember the last time I actually saw a Sub in a store.

Analog/Shift is related to Watches of Switzerland…when I popped in the soho store to inquire about a new 41mm sub this spring I was told point blank “a Rolex will never be one of our clients first or second purchase”…quickly followed up with but we have this 15 year old, not great shape, no box/papers,
used one for the same price of the new one you just asked about. So I thanked them for their time and then left.

The only good news in this is that Rolex will never discontinue the Submariner. Also, I feel like the market of people who are willing to pay 1.5-3x MSRP for a used watch has to dry up at some point which should bring the prices back down to normalcy

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Analog/Shift is related to Watches of Switzerland…when I popped in the soho store to inquire about a new 41mm sub this spring I was told point blank “a Rolex will never be one of our clients first or second purchase”…quickly followed up with but we have this 15 year old, not great shape, no box/papers,
used one for the same price of the new one you just asked about. So I thanked them for their time and then left.

The only good news in this is that Rolex will never discontinue the Submariner. Also, I feel like the market of people who are willing to pay 1.5-3x MSRP for a used watch has to dry up at some point which should bring the prices back down to normalcy
I don't know if that will hold true. There is a whole generation who are use to paying over retail for sneakers, playstations; t shirts you name it. I could never envision people paying thousands of dollars for sneakers but they do it one after another.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if that will hold true. There is a whole generation who are use to paying over retail for sneakers, playstations; t shirts you name it. I could never envision people paying thousands of dollars for sneakers but they do it one after another.
Agree. Barring major economic recession this isn’t going to stop.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fair…I’m not a sneaker head, but what type of numbers are they producing for the models that people line up for at midnight? Also, aren’t those lines and sky high prices just for limited runs? Or this particular years colorway?

PS prices are high when the platform drops, but even out a year or so later…never paid over MSRP for any of my video game systems, just waited a few years for the madness to drop.

Watches, particularly a perennial model like the Submariner, seem a bit different. A) the models stay active for years on end (likely forever with the Sub), and B)while they get updated here and there it’s not a fundamental technological shift like with a new PS release

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time I see grown men wearing sneakers while not exercising I get heart palpitations.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't suggest an AP chronograph. But, yes I am aware of the price and difficulty getting ROs. Also, I just meant in general there are watches I'd rather have over most of Zeniths offerings, not necessarily chronographs...be it from Bvlgari, Omega, Cartier...but if that's your thing, they each offer chronographs such as the Bvlgari OF chronograph, various Omega Speedys, Cartier's Pasha chronograph and Santos chronograph (although that last one would be a bit large for me).
I was just curious where you were going with a chrono and AP feels like a natural progression from Rolex to me. I know you didn’t say it.

re omega, I’ve trie the speedy and it just didn’t feel right.

bvlgari / cartier both have always felt maybe seemed as fashion watches. Maybe educate me, are they as highly regarded as the classic makers (RO,AP, omega)? I def know both the companies for jewelry

This is a tough situation as usually I would advise to wait and buy what you want however paying 3x retail isn't an option I would endorse either.
I am just exploring there is no watch on my radar this year.

I generally agree with you on waiting but j did buy a Batman because I got tired and really wanted the watch. At this point I don’t think the prices will come down like before. Rolex should just do a price hike and supply the ADs.

pmeis

Reaction score
I was just curious where you were going with a chrono and AP feels like a natural progression from Rolex to me. I know you didn’t say it.

re omega, I’ve trie the speedy and it just didn’t feel right.

bvlgari / cartier both have always felt maybe seemed as fashion watches. Maybe educate me, are they as highly regarded as the classic makers (RO,AP, omega)? I def know both the companies for jewelry
Bvlgari traditionally has been thought of this way for sure, but over the last five years or so they have been bringing the horological firepower. Designs are not for all, but what they've been doing should not be taken lightly.

Cartier on the other hand has a long and storied history of making watches and while there will always be some that dismiss them due to their jewelry background (something that I've been guilty of in the past myself), they are generally thought of quite well, though maybe not regarded as the same as AP or Rolex, but almost as kind of their own thing.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.