• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Touche
31A52144-3F84-47C0-90CB-38726F2B382D.jpeg

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great watch but the mustard corduroy suit is probably still getting the bulk of the attention!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to all who chipped in with advice and comments when I was asking about duties.
The final story is I bought this watch off chrono24 (first time buyer through them). The whole deal would have been smooth I’m sure if it was a US seller. The seller had to declare the stated purchase price ($4500) to get the shipment insured with DHL. Thus my first completion of the duties form I followed the advice from here and weighted it mostly on the movement with a total of $1400 ($1000 movement, $100 strap, $300 case). This was rejected as I had to match the declared value. I re-sent the form just moving movement value up from $1000 to $4000 thus a total of $4400. This was rejected again as in the interim currency has fluctuated and the stated value was now $4360.70 so I had to readjust my figures to match this obscure total. Lo and behold this was accepted! The total I had to pay to release the shipment was $96 which I suppose isn’t too much if I’m daft enough to splurge $4500 on a watch in the first place (the value when new was $6800 and this is a numbered LE of 285 so not easy to come by and I always liked it back to when it was released in 2016). Of the $96 some of that may be ‘admin fees’ I need to find the email with the receipt breakdown.

I post all the above in case it’s useful to anyone else to read of a real world anecdote as to how much to expect to pay for import duties when dealing with watches from abroad. Unless I come across a holy grail I’ll be unlikely to endure this ball ache again!
As for the watch itself, it’s a gorgeous (IMO) white dial Bremont OTUSA Americas Cup with titanium case.

0BA9E272-6E86-4C71-8032-D2815C982286.jpeg

Bremont doesn’t seem to get a lot of love on here.

I became interested in this brand several years ago when I read an article about Britain being an original pioneer in the watch making business a long time ago but having been almost totally eclipsed by Swiss / German / Japanese brands more recently. Despite that that there were / are a few British brands (Christopher Ward) but it’s a bit sneaky to call some of them ‘British’ when they seem to largely use Swiss movements.
Case in point Bremont. After some research I found that one reason they lack a certain level of credibility / admiration among watch aficionados is that they use fairly basic Swiss movements but put them in a case in London to earn a ‘made in England’ merit badge, and pump up their prices to around $5k which seems like a fair enough reason for some people to give them a swerve.

Along with wanting to support my Anglophile tendencies I do generally like a lot of their designs and their standard font, but on most of their models there always seems to be at least one feature I didn’t like which prevented me from getting fully on board. (Ugly sword hands, four o clock date windows, weird heavy shrouds, ugly and oversized chrono pushers. two o clock crown positions, etc), but when this one came out about five years ago I really took a liking to it. After some patient searching I finally bagged this one in ‘as new’ condition but much less than the original RRP of $6800. It’s in barely used condition, all papers, pouches, extras etc. Seller knocked the price down to 4500, plus shipping tax snd insurance another $140 and import duties $96 so close to $2k off the original price. Authenticity confirmed. Whatever basic movement it started with, it’s had significant upgrades to add the fifteen minute countdown features. I’m not a yachtsman and I can’t think of another scenario in which I would need a fifteen minute countdown, but I don’t race cars and don’t have a use for a tach scale either and this hasn’t stopped me from getting a daytona and seeking out a Moonwatch speedy one day!
Anyway I love this - bright white dial with red and blue accents, lightweight despite the size as it’s titanium, rubber strap, easily readable hands, fonts etc and at what for me was a decent price. Now to track down that Moonwatch!
327CE8F6-9A02-492B-BB48-CA0B1990030D.jpeg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer the original with dark dial.

That’s fair. I’m just a sucker for off white anything, and light neutrals (in fairness, I almost exclusively wear whites, creams, beiges, and tans).

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to all who chipped in with advice and comments when I was asking about duties.
The final story is I bought this watch off chrono24 (first time buyer through them). The whole deal would have been smooth I’m sure if it was a US seller. The seller had to declare the stated purchase price ($4500) to get the shipment insured with DHL. Thus my first completion of the duties form I followed the advice from here and weighted it mostly on the movement with a total of $1400 ($1000 movement, $100 strap, $300 case). This was rejected as I had to match the declared value. I re-sent the form just moving movement value up from $1000 to $4000 thus a total of $4400. This was rejected again as in the interim currency has fluctuated and the stated value was now $4360.70 so I had to readjust my figures to match this obscure total. Lo and behold this was accepted! The total I had to pay to release the shipment was $96 which I suppose isn’t too much if I’m daft enough to splurge $4500 on a watch in the first place (the value when new was $6800 and this is a numbered LE of 285 so not easy to come by and I always liked it back to when it was released in 2016). Of the $96 some of that may be ‘admin fees’ I need to find the email with the receipt breakdown.

I post all the above in case it’s useful to anyone else to read of a real world anecdote as to how much to expect to pay for import duties when dealing with watches from abroad. Unless I come across a holy grail I’ll be unlikely to endure this ball ache again!
As for the watch itself, it’s a gorgeous (IMO) white dial Bremont OTUSA Americas Cup with titanium case.

View attachment 1676381

Bremont doesn’t seem to get a lot of love on here.

I became interested in this brand several years ago when I read an article about Britain being an original pioneer in the watch making business a long time ago but having been almost totally eclipsed by Swiss / German / Japanese brands more recently. Despite that that there were / are a few British brands (Christopher Ward) but it’s a bit sneaky to call some of them ‘British’ when they seem to largely use Swiss movements.
Case in point Bremont. After some research I found that one reason they lack a certain level of credibility / admiration among watch aficionados is that they use fairly basic Swiss movements but put them in a case in London to earn a ‘made in England’ merit badge, and pump up their prices to around $5k which seems like a fair enough reason for some people to give them a swerve.

Along with wanting to support my Anglophile tendencies I do generally like a lot of their designs and their standard font, but on most of their models there always seems to be at least one feature I didn’t like which prevented me from getting fully on board. (Ugly sword hands, four o clock date windows, weird heavy shrouds, ugly and oversized chrono pushers. two o clock crown positions, etc), but when this one came out about five years ago I really took a liking to it. After some patient searching I finally bagged this one in ‘as new’ condition but much less than the original RRP of $6800. It’s in barely used condition, all papers, pouches, extras etc. Seller knocked the price down to 4500, plus shipping tax snd insurance another $140 and import duties $96 so close to $2k off the original price. Authenticity confirmed. Whatever basic movement it started with, it’s had significant upgrades to add the fifteen minute countdown features. I’m not a yachtsman and I can’t think of another scenario in which I would need a fifteen minute countdown, but I don’t race cars and don’t have a use for a tach scale either and this hasn’t stopped me from getting a daytona and seeking out a Moonwatch speedy one day!
Anyway I love this - bright white dial with red and blue accents, lightweight despite the size as it’s titanium, rubber strap, easily readable hands, fonts etc and at what for me was a decent price. Now to track down that Moonwatch! View attachment 1676382

Congrats on this pickup @Thin White Duke, especially after all the acquisition troubles. Wear it in good health :)

You're right, Bremont probably doesn't get much love here, but a buddy of mine recently got one of their GMTs and he seems really smitten with it.

And I think I saw somewhere that they had opened (or were about to open) a new manufacturing site in the UK? The brand definitely has grown on me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads