• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone had an older AP serviced/refreshed in the US? How was the experience? Thanks.
I haven't had mine serviced yet, but I've heard great things about the service center in Clearwater, FL.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, same. My AD says they are separating the cases from the movements and selling individually. So you can get a real case with a completely fake movement in it.
That's one of the reasons if you service a Rolex in the US, they won't give you the old parts such as hands, dials, bracelets, bezels, winding crowns etc. It's sold on a trade in basis and Rolex keeps the old parts, so that owners of the old parts don't sell them on ebay were they can end up in the hands of people who make make Franken/fake watches that use some real Rolex parts.

Last edited:

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
It's true, Rolex fakes are amazing. I once got scammed after an AD told me it was good to go! Turns out it was a frankenwatch with various Rolex parts and fake ones. Real movement, real case and real crystal, random other fake parts.

I actually ended up getting my watch back, reported the guy, and sold the real movement to a local dealer here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's true, Rolex fakes are amazing. I once got scammed after an AD told me it was good to go! Turns out it was a frankenwatch with various Rolex parts and fake ones. Real movement, real case and real crystal, random other fake parts.

I actually ended up getting my watch back, reported the guy, and sold the real movement to a local dealer here.
Were they service parts installed during a Rolex services (which would be fine by me) or miscellaneous parts installed by a prior owner (not fine).

I genuinely have no problem with service parts, especially service dials if they replace something with patina damage

pasadena man

Reaction score
Yes, generally speaking, but truth is that I want to wear it on leather and would rather not pay extra for a gold bracelet that I'll never wear. Not a concern for me.
My concern was, if sold originally with a bracelet, what happened to it? Even if it was switched out for a strap, I think the average owner would save the bracelet, as it would likely help resale price. Would be a further concern to me on authenticity, along with the box and papers, as others have noted above.

Don't want to be negative on what would clearly be an important and positive emotional acquisition, but you asked for input. I think most of the posts in reply suggesting caution are from seasoned board members and Rolex owners.

If authentic, it seems like it may be an attractive price today. I haven't been following Rolex prices lately, with the crazy escalation. I seem to recall a Day-date on a bracelet might have been gotten for 10ish a few years ago.

I am sure you have an opportunity to acquire a Day-date that will give you a lot of pleasure. I was toying with getting one used on a bracelet a few years ago, realized it might be a bit too much watch for me to carry off, given my lifestyle and social circles (I also have another Rolex, so the President was definitely a want to have, not need to have for my rotation).

The model does have its own gravitational pull though, and as Jack Forster of Hondinkee has suggested, it may be the Ur Rolex model. Good hunting, post it when you get one.

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
Were they service parts installed during a Rolex services (which would be fine by me) or miscellaneous parts installed by a prior owner (not fine).

I genuinely have no problem with service parts, especially service dials if they replace something with patina damage
No, fakes/clones. Not service. Was a superfake this guy assembled, no clue why anyone would put that much into a fake. Seems weird to put in 80% of the cash for the real deal but hey.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would presume, since he said "Fake ones" they were not genuine Rolex parts. Service parts from Rolex while not original to the watch, are genuine Rolex parts. They are not fake parts. In addition, any watch that is 40 years old, most like has some service parts, crown, tube, gaskets, etc. They only thing people tend to get concerned about with service parts is the dial and hands (a watch with original is always worth more...although, we aren't taking about a double red SD where the dial is a huge part of the value on such a rare watch).

Fake parts can be aftermarket things like bezels, dials, or something else made by a company or watchmaker who is not employed by Rolex or making them for Rolex. In addition, as has been mentioned in this thread before, Rolex will not even work on a watch with an aftermarket/fake parts bezels, dials, bracelets etc., unless you authorize them to remove the aftermarket/fake parts and replace them with parts from Rolex. Rolex has no problem working on their watches that have Rolex service parts.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My concern was, if sold originally with a bracelet, what happened to it? Even if it was switched out for a strap, I think the average owner would save the bracelet, as it would likely help resale price. Would be a further concern to me on authenticity, along with the box and papers, as others have noted above.

Don't want to be negative on what would clearly be an important and positive emotional acquisition, but you asked for input. I think most of the posts in reply suggesting caution are from seasoned board members and Rolex owners.

If authentic, it seems like it may be an attractive price today. I haven't been following Rolex prices lately, with the crazy escalation. I seem to recall a Day-date on a bracelet might have been gotten for 10ish a few years ago.

I am sure you have an opportunity to acquire a Day-date that will give you a lot of pleasure. I was toying with getting one used on a bracelet a few years ago, realized it might be a bit too much watch for me to carry off, given my lifestyle and social circles (I also have another Rolex, so the President was definitely a want to have, not need to have for my rotation).

The model does have its own gravitational pull though, and as Jack Forster of Hondinkee has suggested, it may be the Ur Rolex model. Good hunting, post it when you get one.
Thanks. I don't disagree with anything you wrote, and I admit I didn't really think about the "missing bracelet" issue as a potential red flag for authenticity.

pmeis

Reaction score
Thanks. I don't disagree with anything you wrote, and I admit I didn't really think about the "missing bracelet" issue as a potential red flag for authenticity.
I don't think the missing bracelet thing is red flag. You got to remember that the majority of watches aren't purchased by people who know the importance of a complete set and maintaining it. This goes espescially for more vintage pieces. There are tons of braceletless Datejusts/Oysterdates/DayDates/etc out there from the 60s and 70s.

Last edited:

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
I don't think the missing bracelet thing is red flag. You got to remember that the majority of watches aren't purchased by people who know the importance of a complete set and maintaining it. This goes espescially for more vintage pieces. There are tons of braceletless Datejusts/Oysterdates/DayDates/etc out there from the 60s and 70s.
Rolex was also a lot more affordable until very recently. Even 10 years ago, it was completely different. When a watch is more affordable, you don't mind doing things like dial swaps or removing the bracelet and swapping it. Losing the box, etc.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Buy the seller, not the watch." Rolex fakes have gotten so good that I would not buy from anyone other than an AD or a reseller (e.g. DavidSW, European Watch) with a sterling reputation.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.