• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's actually a big sized watch, I'm leaning towards it being a Rolex Sea-Dweller

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Rolex experts that want to tell me if they see a glaring weakness in this watch? I'm looking for a retirement watch (soon!) and something like this seems to be at the top of the current list, but I haven't bought vintage Rolex before and am hesitant.

I'd love some other recommendations too. Looking (probably) for something in gold, around $15k max but could stretch for something really specific.

psb

Reaction score
Any Rolex experts that want to tell me if they see a glaring weakness in this watch? I'm looking for a retirement watch (soon!) and something like this seems to be at the top of the current list, but I haven't bought vintage Rolex before and am hesitant.

I'd love some other recommendations too. Looking (probably) for something in gold, around $15k max but could stretch for something really specific.
No papers, no box --> do not buy :rolleyes:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I realize chrono24 has been around a while, but $10k is a big gamble. I’ve seen too many YouTube videos of just how well made counterfeits are, albeit those are always the more sought after SS sport models.

A few years ago the Real Real got in trouble over its authentication practices as they were thin at best and the emphasis was on making product available.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No papers, no box --> do not buy :rolleyes:
Because of resale value or because you would question the watch itself?

I don't care about resale value, and having the box and papers means nothing to me as long as I can be confident in the legitimacy of the watch.

Reactions: psb

psb

Reaction score
Because of resale value or because you would question the watch itself?

I don't care about resale value, and having the box and papers means nothing to me as long as I can be confident in the legitimacy of the watch.
I do not trust in watches that have no original box and papers. The watch my be a
plagiarism. Only if you know the dealer personally or he has
impeccable reputation i would think about buying without any proof of authentication.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not trust in watches that have no original box and papers. The watch my be a
plagiarism. Only if you know the dealer personally or he has
impeccable reputation i would think about buying without any proof of authentication.
I just think it's tough to expect box/papers on a 40 year old watch - heck, I threw the box away the day after I bought my new Rolex. But I totally understand your point.

Reactions: psb

pasadena man

Reaction score
My longtime watch repair guy recently said that the Rolex Sub fakes had gotten so good that he could not identify that one was fake from visual examination, even when he thought it likely that it was fake. It was not until he disassembled the watch, specifically looking for discrepancies in the movement, that he could confirm that it was a forgery.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My longtime watch repair guy recently said that the Rolex Sub fakes had gotten so good that he could not identify that one was fake from visual examination, even when he thought it likely that it was fake. It was not until he disassembled the watch, specifically looking for discrepancies in the movement, that he could confirm that it was a forgery.
Yep, same. My AD says they are separating the cases from the movements and selling individually. So you can get a real case with a completely fake movement in it. On my most recent purchase, I had them open the case and double check even though it came with box and papers. Box and papers easier to forge than the watch

pasadena man

Reaction score
The other question I would have on this watch is where is the bracelet(where most of the gold would be)? Over the years, 90% + of the Day-dates I have noticed have been on a bracelet.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other question I would have on this watch is where is the bracelet(where most of the gold would be)? Over the years, 90% + of the Day-dates I have noticed have been on a bracelet.
Yes, generally speaking, but truth is that I want to wear it on leather and would rather not pay extra for a gold bracelet that I'll never wear. Not a concern for me.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.