• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

dan'l

Reaction score
A question about customs forms for shipment via DHL -

I have a watch incoming to the US from abroad which is being shipped by DHL. I got a text to say it’s on the way. Then I got a text with a form attached for me to complete, estimating the separate values of movement, case, strap and battery / automatic / windup.

I’m assuming that this is so they can calculate how much to sting me for on import duties. Does anyone have experience of this and if so, any advice on how to complete the form. Value of the entire watch (lightly used) is of course flexible but how on earth would you separate the value of the case from the movement?

Even the overall value? This detailed at around $6800 but on the used market I e seen them range from around 3500 to 6000 so it’s not even easy to estimate the ‘actual’ value of a lightly used watch (as opposed to what I paid). I am waiting to hear back from the seller if he specified a $$ value when he shipped and insured.

Anyone know even roughly their formula, ie if a watch is declared at a total value of $5k they’ll charge me 10 percent = $500 or something?

Advice / thoughts / experiences most welcome. Thanks.
I‘ve done this before. You need to refer to the harmonized tariff schedule and it is quite detailed, based on country of origin, auto vs. manual wind, number of jewels, etc. Some watches have a very high tariff based on the factors mentioned, whereas others have almost none. The case, movement and bracelet (or strap) are separately calculated.

With all that said, I searched a long time for a watch I wanted and after locating one overseas, did a rough calculation of the anticipated tariffs, based on that doc I linked. In the end, I actually paid a bit less than what I anticipated, so it was a pleasant surprise.

harveyrabbit

Reaction score
Yesterday I moved my daughter into her dorm, and just like that the nest was empty. While sitting in the lot and waiting our turn to load out at the dorm, I had an unexpected call from my AD to let me know he had something for me at the store. Like with many things, the timing with timepieces can be everything. Stopped by today to pick up this memento:
6DC9A351-935D-421F-8A52-D95A2817C1B2.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I moved my daughter into her dorm, and just like that the nest was empty. While sitting in the lot and waiting our turn to load out at the dorm, I had an unexpected call from my AD to let me know he had something for me at the store. Like with many things, the timing with timepieces can be everything. Stopped by today to pick up this memento:
View attachment 1673497
Very nice! So your patience paid off.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
do you have a link for his stuff? I tried to google the name but did not come up with anything...
All in German:

BTW he will do quite a bit of custom work for a small upcharge. I'm thinking about the model I posted but with an off-white or cream dial + printed numerals. No diamonds. Asking about a bit more finishing on the back too.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m most likely going to have an incoming tomorrow.

Cartier should have it in stock since it’s not a special one year run model.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I‘ve done this before. You need to refer to the harmonized tariff schedule and it is quite detailed, based on country of origin, auto vs. manual wind, number of jewels, etc. Some watches have a very high tariff based on the factors mentioned, whereas others have almost none. The case, movement and bracelet (or strap) are separately calculated.

With all that said, I searched a long time for a watch I wanted and after locating one overseas, did a rough calculation of the anticipated tariffs, based on that doc I linked. In the end, I actually paid a bit less than what I anticipated, so it was a pleasant surprise.
I got the same bullshit when buying a $500 Bamford from London. In the end it was not worth the trouble, purely in the time wasted in e-mails and phone calls. Haven't these Muppets got something better to do like catching Coke Importers, Human smugglers , Donuts to eat etc?.....
'

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone had an older AP serviced/refreshed in the US? How was the experience? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.