• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ecerratic

Reaction score
I’ve been eyeing up a used quartz Omega Seamaster 300 Professional as a back up or work watch. I like the ability of it just being ready whenever without worrying about power reserves or winding. It doesn’t break the bank too bad and looks so much better than a lot of the dive watches in that price bracket.

If I wanted to nerd out, the Tudor BB58 scratches that itch for me.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, most quartz movements are nothing special. Most times if given the option, watch enthusiasts will choose the automatic over the quartz model. Whether or not you like the Nautilus or RO, if given a choice between a quartz version from the 1980s and an automatic one, I'm sure most of us will choose the automatic.
I don't mean to contradict you, I just had a thought in my head of a scenario where the watch's current market value didn't matter (for example, borrowing either from a friend for an evening) and I definitely would choose the quartz, just to shock watch types a little. If one says "wait, that's a fake" I would consider it successful and for this I'd pick the quartz over the auto :D

... come to think of it I should probably have googled the market value before speaking.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of a bummer! Had really, really been enjoying my OF, but noticed the second hand has been acting wonky. Has anyone seen anything like this? Start paying attention at the 35 second mark. The second hand sweeps from 0-35 seconds, and then stutters all the way from 35-60 seconds. I uploaded the following video to Vimeo:

Magnetized? See if there is an old CRT monitor in your office and press the deGauss button while holding your watch next to it. Or take it to a watchmaker and have them do it. Hopefully that resolves it and it isnt something more serious.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I the only one who finds the asymmetrical stitching pattern on the strap distracting? Is there a reason that they dont match or was it a stylistic choice?

Also, I have the blue dial Petite Prince IWC that I was given as a gift. Apart from the date window and the big crown, it appears to be very similar to this watch, but is considerably less expensive and I am having trouble squaring that.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to contradict you, I just had a thought in my head of a scenario where the watch's current market value didn't matter (for example, borrowing either from a friend for an evening) and I definitely would choose the quartz, just to shock watch types a little. If one says "wait, that's a fake" I would consider it successful and for this I'd pick the quartz over the auto :D

... come to think of it I should probably have googled the market value before speaking.

Well, my stating most would choose the automatic had nothing to do with market value. Merely, the movements are more impressive, if not close to iconic if speaking of a RO Jumbo or Nautilus 3700. The shock value might be entertaining for you, however, I wouldn't be shocked. I'd more likely think it's a shame it doesn't have an automatic movement.

Furthermore, even though these quartz watches are basic time only pieces, it's my understanding is a service is about $1,000 or more. Not sure I'd want to spend that to service a quartz watch.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only quartz watch I like is the FPJ Elegante. Prices on that watch have gone insane, however. I suspect that people who have been priced out of the Chronometre Blue are turning to the Elegante as an alternative.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd want to spend $100k+ on a 3800, let alone $200-600k on a 3700! There are so many amazing watches with amazing movements available for that money. One has to really prize the connection with the brand and history (and I know you do for good reason). So given the choice between the two, if market value matters, I'd pick the auto, sell it and get something else.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd want to spend $100k+ on a 3800, let alone $200-600k on a 3700! There are so many amazing watches with amazing movements available for that money. One has to really prize the connection with the brand and history (and I know you do for good reason). So given the choice between the two, if market value matters, I'd pick the auto, sell it and get something else.

I certainly understand your point. My point was never based on pricing. Simply the general idea of quartz vs. auto/mechanical.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only quartz watch I like is the FPJ Elegante. Prices on that watch have gone insane, however. I suspect that people who have been priced out of the Chronometre Blue are turning to the Elegante as an alternative.
The only quartz I would get is the Tank Must solar beat. I've never been a big fan of the FPJ Elegante.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received this quick shot from Benzinger today. The parts aren't actually assembled yet, just overlaid for an idea of what the final watch will look like. The cutout on the bottom left will expose the balance wheel.

IMG_5656.JPG

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only quartz I would get is the Tank Must solar beat.
I'm very interested in this as well and plan to buy one once they are finally released. People on WUS are saying they've spoken with Cartier customer service, and their official word is that there is a supply chain issue and it may be another couple of months before it is available in the US, although apparently it is available already in Europe.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in this as well and plan to buy one once they are finally released. People on WUS are saying they've spoken with Cartier customer service, and their official word is that there is a supply chain issue and it may be another couple of months before it is available in the US, although apparently it is available already in Europe.
I saw one at an AD a month or 2 ago in Houston. It was part of their first shipment they received.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw one at an AD a month or 2 ago in Houston.
Wow, really? I think even Cartier's original announcement from back in April said that they'd be shipping starting in September. Interesting.

Did you try it on or look at it up close? If so, anything of interest to report?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's basically a standard Tank. I couldn't tell the difference between the Solar Beat vs the standard quartz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads