1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

But dino that is precisely the point, its a $25k watch and all you get is a rubber strap. that's dropping some fuck u money right there. :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

While I loved your other choices...and $25K is serious money, it could be used for something a lot better than a Rubbermaster. Sorry, but for me this watch is very far from what some people call a "F@ck you" watch. Its only half of the package.

To me a gold Rolex on a gold oyster bracelet makes a hell of a statement. Sure its blingy, maybe a bit pimpy, but damn it does make a confident statement about the watch and the wearer. To me this Rubbermaster is apologetic, it hides its gold, it doesn't want to be too bold.

If someone is buying a gold Rolex..."Go big or go home!" I see this watch on someone, and my first thought is, I guess they went home.

Still, loved your other choice my friend. Cheers! [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Lol @ "I guess they went home"

1 person likes this.
  4. robw

robw Senior member

While I kind of get the appeal of this Yachtmaster standing on its own, and I do see the "baller" aspect of it (if that is what you like) it is an example of Rolex following trends already set by other watches e.g. AP rubberclad, Hublot etc. That is not Rolex's thing IMO.

Would not be my choice.

5. roomiller

roomiller Senior member

Excuse me, but I thought everyone here was supposed to be knowledgable about watches.

The Everose[​IMG] yachtmaster is not on a rubber strap. That is an Oysterflex[​IMG] Bracelet[​IMG] specially engineered by Rolex[​IMG] in Switzerland[​IMG][​IMG] .

3 people like this.
  6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Everose = Rose gold - Regardless of the high tech composition they claim to use, there have already been instances of people complaining that Everose oxidizes just like other RG products when exposed to chemicals in most showers or pools.

Oysterflex blah blah blah = Rubber strap.

Companies often come up with all sorts of fancy sounding words and phrases to sell their products. That's nothing new. I suppose it wouldn't sell as well if they called it the Rolex "Rubbermaster, Bend You Over for $25 Large and You Don't Get a Gold Bracelet and it May Still Oxidize."

So for now I'll just stick with the terms rose gold and rubber strap. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. Bower

Bower Senior member

The black bezel in contrast with rose gold looks fantastic.

8. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

:rotflmao:

agree, the contrast is really nice, and actually quite a subtle piece in the flesh :slayer:

9. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

LOL @ "Rubbermaster"

10. roomiller

roomiller Senior member

Hahah whoops - I thought the aggressively pompous attitude and numerous TM's, particularly after "bracelet" and "Switzerland", would have been sufficient to indicate sarcasm. Guess I didn't do enough to differentiate from actual crazy Rolex stans [​IMG]

11. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I find your comments very judgmental. Let’s keep the critiques only towards the watches/manufacturers but not who is wearing.

12. in stitches

Roomiller, I got your humor right off the bat and it was hilarious.

I still like that YM tho. :hide:

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sorry friend, I read your comment a few times and couldn't tell if you seriously valued the names Rolex used for those products, or if it was sort of in jest. Have a good night cheers! [​IMG]

If you re-read the full context of the posts, I don't think you would take that post all that seriously (although I realize that sometimes a bit of humor can be lost on those that don't know us so well...I know that from personal experience), and perhaps you will see its a response to other judgments about would be wearers of such a watch. The watch in question was said to be the watch of Ballers or it's a "F@ck you watch"...my post was merely to show that that I don't see it as either of those descriptions (both of which could be judgmental or a characterization of a watch owner). My post was also to save our dear friend Arigold from purchasing said watch based on the idea its a watch for Ballers or a "Fuck You Watch."

If you are the owner of the watch in question, and my statement offended you, I apologize...and as I say frequently about watches I critique unfavorably, if you put it on your wrist and it makes you smile, that's all that matters.

3 people like this.
  14. in stitches

Dino is the nicest! Of course he meant no ill will.

2 people like this.
  15. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

me too :foo:

16. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

anyone own a IWC big Pilot in the new Le Petite Prince colorway? It's a damn nice watch in person and the 2016 model has much more similarities with the original from 2001 with the return of the "9".

[​IMG]

17. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Nice watch but too big for that wrist it's on in that photo.

18. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

yeah it's definitely on the big side there. I have 6.75" wrists, but I'm also 6'2" and 195lbs so overall it doesn't look too bad. but I would say I am borderline. For some reason it looks pretty good on john mayer's wrist.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    2 people like this.
  19. mimo

mimo Senior member

Pictures taken with camera phones also make watches look bigger on the wrist - exaggerated perspective. If you take the picture from a little further away and zoom, I find it makes the proportions look a little more realistic. And the photo a bit more shit, but you make your choice. :)

Oh, that and the BP is feckin' huge.

1 person likes this.
  20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I mean. The big pilot is meant to be big, right? It's obviously not meant to look appropriately sized on any wrist.