• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kimmo

Reaction score

I remember days when there (in Russia, Ukraine) Franck Muller was on top, then Uysse Nardin made its way to be the best choice to show the status and only truly brave people could wear Rolex ))

But this is truth about lack of watch knowledge among people in Russia sporting PP or VC.

Breguet is also a hit there, maybe for more historical brand reasons.

BenLeaman

Reaction score

Yeah, I see a lovely vintage Explorer every day at work (where I'm a hired consultant), on the wrist of a guy in management. I rarely speak to him about work stuff even, and I've yet to find myself next to him at lunch. Maybe it's his fathers old watch, maybe he just bought it on a whim, or maybe he's a commited watch geek just like myself :embar:

I'll have to bait him with my old Daytona I guess, he ought to bite if the latter :satisfied:

I saw your follow up comment, this is a 35mm Daytona? What reference is it? I am interested in hearing more about it and of course if you have more photos I implore you to share! TIA!

NonServiam

Reaction score

Likewise; one of the other office mates has a 1655 Explorer II. When I asked about it, he said he'd bought it sometime in the '70s, and wore it until it stopped running. After about a decade of it sitting in a drawer, he decided to take it in for a service, and was very pleasantly surprised to find out what he had. He's been wearing it daily for the past few years, and though he likes it just fine and is now aware of what he could sell it for if he wanted to, he's not particularly interested in watches.

And damn, is that Daytona ever nice. Thanks for the photo!

Thank you my friend! There are plenty of old Rolexes out there just being used, and not gushed over on internet forums. The way it should be :slayer:

I saw your follow up comment, this is a 35mm Daytona? What reference is it? I am interested in hearing more about it and of course if you have more photos I implore you to share! TIA!

I think that was a comment on the Nomos, and not by me ;) My Daytona is a 1972 6263, measuring 37mm as they all are.

Here a picture with the old (and wrong) endlinks it came on when I bought it. The bracelet is from 1980-something, I might have to source a 1972 folded bracelet. Which will be even more rattly, hah. I gotta say I like modern bracelets better. But the watch itself is a wonder :satisfied:

Last edited:

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Breguet is also a hit there, maybe for more historical brand reasons.

Yes, I think Breguet was the most famous watch in old Russia: Tsars, Pushkin, Tolstoy... Short, tragic story by Russian writer Alexander Kuprin calls Breguet.

Last edited:

McWu

Reaction score
I kick myself for passing on a couple 6263s when they were "affordable". :(

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a few months of waffling between a newer 114060 and an older 16600, finally decided to increase the budget and spring for the watch I really wanted:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

source: http://watchesbysjx.com/2016/10/int...utilus-40th-anniversary-limited-editions.html

40th anniversary Nautilii are out, and they're already being called the Graveyard versions, though I'd say Tombstone is a bit more apropos.

Looks like they've finally ditched that embarrassing Arial on the chrono, though copying Rolex by using Eurostile doesn't really do them much credit.

Oh, and I wonder where they plagiarized that minute track numbering (plus some inept type distortion) from?

Not their most impressive work, that's for sure.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
It's always just a tiny bit uncomfortable when I like a watch and Belligero comes and kicks it to pieces. At least they tend to be things I was only thinking of buying one day - most of what I actually own is well beneath his bothering.

But that is a truly spectacular and instructive takedown. Those numbers! DAMN! It's almost laughable - unless you're the guy who just pre-ordered for six figures.

Get that white gold Pepsi Rolex instead, and a used platinum Datograph with the change.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given their use of platinum and those baguette diamonds in the markers - this will for sure be marketed as +$100K pieces.

I am unimpressed, @Belligero .

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A watch by Epos recently bought at Bonhams auction for very little, with Unitas 6497 movement nicely finished with Geneva stripes.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sometimes more is more.

Flawless kop.

Thank you. As someone who didn't "get" the Rolex hype for many years, I can say that I am now firmly in love. Looking forward to many years with this one.

Truth be told, if they'd slimmed down the lugs on the 114060, I'd probably have one of those on my wrist and an extra couple thousand bucks in my pocket invested in some other watch. A bit counter intuitive that (at least to me) the SD works better on a 6.5" wrist than the sub, but this current version is near perfection. Not going to hold my breath for Rolex to reintroduce lug holes or move that date window a few mm to the right :).

With regard to the Nautilus examples above - are there examples out there of anniversary edition watches that are "better" than the standard model? (honest question) The silver snoopy Speedmaster is one rare special edition that jumps out in my mind as one outlier that I really like. Patek distorting the minute track numbering but not having it align with the ends of the batons just seems sloppy.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Thank you. As someone who didn't "get" the Rolex hype for many years, I can say that I am now firmly in love. Looking forward to many years with this one.

Truth be told, if they'd slimmed down the lugs on the 114060, I'd probably have one of those on my wrist and an extra couple thousand bucks in my pocket invested in some other watch. A bit counter intuitive that (at least to me) the SD works better on a 6.5" wrist than the sub, but this current version is near perfection. Not going to hold my breath for Rolex to reintroduce lug holes or move that date window a few mm to the right
smile.gif
I'm in complete agreement. Congrats man!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads