• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Ming saga reminds me of this cafe that opened and that minor celebrities were patronising. Through not being fully aware of that I met with a friend who had just flown 20 hours and wanted to chill by the river. Well, the place had a 45 minute timer on the table (good start), and the food was the same as the other hipster cafes, arrived slower and cost 2x. Naturally service didn't really exist, not with the crowded tables elbow to elbow. But very fashionable people.

I pop by a year later and this time all the tables are empty. Got served immediately although still with a bit of distance. Prices still exorbitant. Food worse. Didn't go again.

Couple years later: I just checked the listing on Google. Permanently Closed. Still, I can't blame the owner for milking it whilst he was in fashion.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So you were a stormtrooper in Le Corbusier Wehrmacht. Tsk, tsk.
Next generation ... American ... but the firm was run much the same. We were so poorly paid (too many top talents wanted to work there) that we joked about having to pay the firm. I quickly moved on to an All-American firm under the architect Hugh Hardy. At the time it was THE hottest place in the country ... architecturally speaking. We were still rather poorly paid but the atmosphere was so very different and exciting. Brendan Gill called Hardy "the Stanford White of our fin de siècle". In fact, one of Whites great grandsons worked there.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have some beautiful watches!

I too am a fan of the Reverso and have what I call the day/date ... and one of my PP's is a Gondolo. I'm giving serious thought to a Cartier Tank. The Reverso is in steel and I think of it as a dressy casual. I have a desire for one in gold.
Thank you! I'm sure one day I'll get a round dress watch, but I am really fascinated by dress watches that are in shapes other than round.

I've liked the Reverso for a long time. Almost bought the original manual wind Sun Moon Reverso in rose gold back in 2001, but couldn't swing that plus the VC with stepped lugs that was in the photo I posted. That VC uses a JLC Reverso movement. I like several of the older rectangular PP Gondolos, and I've tried a few on in the past. The Tank Louis Cartier is a great watch and one that I find due to is elegant but simple lines is easy to dress up or down. Wishing you luck with your next watch purchase!

Reactions: RSS

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40th birthday watch search update:

Good news - popped into the AD by my office, and they happened to have one of the rose gold mechanical Cartier Tank Louis in the case, so I finally got to try it on without having to make an appointment at a Cartier boutique. Man, this is a great watch! I love the size and color of the case, and the guilloche is a nice distinction from the rest of the quartz Tank Line. Also, I like how its firmly planted in the dress watch category and not a half-way hedge between a casual and dress category. As of right now, this is the front runner in the dress watch category although I still need to get my hands on a Patek 5022 and an ALS 1815. So far I've ruled out the JLC Reverso and the JLC MUT Moon is a coin toss if it will make the final list.

Bad news - The SA that I'd struck up a relationship with over the past 6 months when I initially 'registered my interest' for a new 124060 No Date Submariner left the store (and retail all together from what I gathered from the discussion). I did some minor business with him (resize wedding band, new updated watch appraisal for my GMT II), and we happened to be from the same town (not near the store at all), he went to the same school as my wife, and it was pretty clear he was a 'watch guy' and admired my 16710 and was very knowledgeable about the new Rolexes and showed me some fun, high end Patek stuff just for fun (let me try on the 5320G despite telling him my price point was sub 15K).

The new SA showed me the Cartier Tank, when I mentioned about the fact that I had been working with the previous SA on trying to get a ND Sub for next year and that was my #1 choice, she told me that the current waitlist was about 2 years and that she would need to check with the manager to see if I was already on the list then asked me what I was getting my wife for her birthday (her 40th is still a number of years away) and that jewelry would "help my case." I'll continue to pop into this AD since its right by work and check-in on a regular basis, but I am less hopeful than I was originally that I'd be able to successfully purchase a ND Sub on my original timeline without a significant amount of pre-watch purchases.

I'll continue to pop back into this AD from time to time, but will also start hitting the circuit of making appearances at the other ADs to increase my face time at other stores as well...

Obligatory Wrist Shot:

IMG_2227.jpg

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I learned something recently (very recently): skip the SA, and go straight to someone in ownership or, at worst, a manager. I recently started talking to the owner of my local AD, and the experience has been fantastic. He is responsive, forthright, and I know he will be with the company long term. My perspective on my AD has changed overnight.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I learned something recently (very recently): skip the SA, and go straight to someone in ownership or, at worst, a manager. I recently started talking to the owner of my local AD, and the experience has been fantastic. He is responsive, forthright, and I know he will be with the company long term. My perspective on my AD has changed overnight.
Thanks, that's a great idea...do you just ask for the owner/manager directly or try and figure it out and approach them organically.

The tough reality is that I'm a relatively small fish - outside of this watch, and an equivalent purchase (tennis bracelet, pearls, diamond earrings, etc.) for the wife for her 40th...I don't foresee myself being a habitual customer for multiple watches over the next couple of years. Although I would certainly come back to them for any sort of jewelry/nice gift needs if my experience was a positive one...

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's a great idea...do you just ask for the owner/manager directly or try and figure it out and approach them organically.

The tough reality is that I'm a relatively small fish - outside of this watch, and an equivalent purchase (tennis bracelet, pearls, diamond earrings, etc.) for the wife for her 40th...I don't foresee myself being a habitual customer for multiple watches over the next couple of years. Although I would certainly come back to them for any sort of jewelry/nice gift needs if my experience was a positive one...
Well, for me, it happened organically. He heard me discussing watches with an SA, could apparently tell I was a nerd, and struck up a conversation. Now when I go in, I ask if he is there (or text him beforehand). But I think you could kindly ask for a manager to explain your dilemma.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cartier watches are great. I plan on getting something eventually. I would love to get a Tank LC but that's a little out of my price range unless I hit some major tendies so most likely leaning towards the Americaine.

pmeis

Reaction score
I have a great relationship with an AD owner out of state, close to where my parents live. I've been buying things from him for maybe 7 years now. I think when I first visited him, it was mainly him and his wife and maybe one other sales person manning the store, so it wasn't hard to build a relationship with him. It's a bigger operation now with a larger staff, but it's nice that I don't have to worry about losing a relationship if an SA takes another job.

Sadly they don't sell Rolex or Cartier, but do carry brands I do like, so it's been quite helpful. I don't have to haggle at this point, so I generally just get the right price the first time, often with just a text. I haven't exactly been after anything that is super hard to get though, so I haven't tried to get access to something a bit more in demand. I'm not sure just how far the relationship extends. If I was into it, it would have been a good exercise to see what he could do for me on say the latest Snoopy, but that wasn't exactly my bag. For now, I'm just happy with the pricing I can get.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Random AD story - I got assigned the worst SA when I dropped into Fourtané last year. He wouldn’t stop talking and threw in some anecdotes about fraud and some not so subtle racial commentary.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random AD story - I got assigned the worst SA when I dropped into Fourtané last year. He wouldn’t stop talking and threw in some anecdotes about fraud and some not so subtle racial commentary.
maybe he was just trying to break the ice with some light banter…..Ricky Roma style!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.