• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I learned something recently (very recently): skip the SA, and go straight to someone in ownership or, at worst, a manager. I recently started talking to the owner of my local AD, and the experience has been fantastic. He is responsive, forthright, and I know he will be with the company long term. My perspective on my AD has changed overnight.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I learned something recently (very recently): skip the SA, and go straight to someone in ownership or, at worst, a manager. I recently started talking to the owner of my local AD, and the experience has been fantastic. He is responsive, forthright, and I know he will be with the company long term. My perspective on my AD has changed overnight.

Thanks, that's a great idea...do you just ask for the owner/manager directly or try and figure it out and approach them organically.

The tough reality is that I'm a relatively small fish - outside of this watch, and an equivalent purchase (tennis bracelet, pearls, diamond earrings, etc.) for the wife for her 40th...I don't foresee myself being a habitual customer for multiple watches over the next couple of years. Although I would certainly come back to them for any sort of jewelry/nice gift needs if my experience was a positive one...

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's a great idea...do you just ask for the owner/manager directly or try and figure it out and approach them organically.

The tough reality is that I'm a relatively small fish - outside of this watch, and an equivalent purchase (tennis bracelet, pearls, diamond earrings, etc.) for the wife for her 40th...I don't foresee myself being a habitual customer for multiple watches over the next couple of years. Although I would certainly come back to them for any sort of jewelry/nice gift needs if my experience was a positive one...

Well, for me, it happened organically. He heard me discussing watches with an SA, could apparently tell I was a nerd, and struck up a conversation. Now when I go in, I ask if he is there (or text him beforehand). But I think you could kindly ask for a manager to explain your dilemma.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cartier watches are great. I plan on getting something eventually. I would love to get a Tank LC but that's a little out of my price range unless I hit some major tendies so most likely leaning towards the Americaine.

pmeis

Reaction score

I have a great relationship with an AD owner out of state, close to where my parents live. I've been buying things from him for maybe 7 years now. I think when I first visited him, it was mainly him and his wife and maybe one other sales person manning the store, so it wasn't hard to build a relationship with him. It's a bigger operation now with a larger staff, but it's nice that I don't have to worry about losing a relationship if an SA takes another job.

Sadly they don't sell Rolex or Cartier, but do carry brands I do like, so it's been quite helpful. I don't have to haggle at this point, so I generally just get the right price the first time, often with just a text. I haven't exactly been after anything that is super hard to get though, so I haven't tried to get access to something a bit more in demand. I'm not sure just how far the relationship extends. If I was into it, it would have been a good exercise to see what he could do for me on say the latest Snoopy, but that wasn't exactly my bag. For now, I'm just happy with the pricing I can get.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Random AD story - I got assigned the worst SA when I dropped into Fourtané last year. He wouldn’t stop talking and threw in some anecdotes about fraud and some not so subtle racial commentary.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kurono arrived today, I'll take some pics of it later.

Here's an okish pic of the movement on the Pro Pilot X. THICC mainspring.

IMG_4073.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random AD story - I got assigned the worst SA when I dropped into Fourtané last year. He wouldn’t stop talking and threw in some anecdotes about fraud and some not so subtle racial commentary.

maybe he was just trying to break the ice with some light banter…..Ricky Roma style!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40th birthday watch search update:

Good news - popped into the AD by my office, and they happened to have one of the rose gold mechanical Cartier Tank Louis in the case, so I finally got to try it on without having to make an appointment at a Cartier boutique. Man, this is a great watch! I love the size and color of the case, and the guilloche is a nice distinction from the rest of the quartz Tank Line. Also, I like how its firmly planted in the dress watch category and not a half-way hedge between a casual and dress category. As of right now, this is the front runner in the dress watch category although I still need to get my hands on a Patek 5022 and an ALS 1815. So far I've ruled out the JLC Reverso and the JLC MUT Moon is a coin toss if it will make the final list.

Bad news - The SA that I'd struck up a relationship with over the past 6 months when I initially 'registered my interest' for a new 124060 No Date Submariner left the store (and retail all together from what I gathered from the discussion). I did some minor business with him (resize wedding band, new updated watch appraisal for my GMT II), and we happened to be from the same town (not near the store at all), he went to the same school as my wife, and it was pretty clear he was a 'watch guy' and admired my 16710 and was very knowledgeable about the new Rolexes and showed me some fun, high end Patek stuff just for fun (let me try on the 5320G despite telling him my price point was sub 15K).

The new SA showed me the Cartier Tank, when I mentioned about the fact that I had been working with the previous SA on trying to get a ND Sub for next year and that was my #1 choice, she told me that the current waitlist was about 2 years and that she would need to check with the manager to see if I was already on the list then asked me what I was getting my wife for her birthday (her 40th is still a number of years away) and that jewelry would "help my case." I'll continue to pop into this AD since its right by work and check-in on a regular basis, but I am less hopeful than I was originally that I'd be able to successfully purchase a ND Sub on my original timeline without a significant amount of pre-watch purchases.

I'll continue to pop back into this AD from time to time, but will also start hitting the circuit of making appearances at the other ADs to increase my face time at other stores as well...

Obligatory Wrist Shot:

View attachment 1649199

Looks great on your wrist. Its a classic that will never go out of style. I love mine and it gets a lot of wear. In addition, getting something that is a different metal and different shape will give you something completely different from your GMT (while a Sub which is a great watch, and I know the idea is give a watch to each of your kids, but it is essentially pretty close to what you already own only newer).

I wouldn't feel that bad about your previous SA leaving. At least they still carry the brand and other brands such as Cartier that you would consider. The last 4 Rolex ADs I dealt with in the last 15 years, all lost their Rolex contract and don't carry anything of interest, or they closed completely...so any purchase history I had with them is gone.

The new SA suggested that additional purchases would help your case, so although I could be wrong, that suggests to me you have to make at least a few substantial purchases for them to get you that Sub. If they don't come through on the Sub in time for your birthday, then purchasing that Tank (or other watch you like that they carry) could help your case for obtaining a Sub for a future birthday or anniversary.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great on your wrist. Its a classic that will never go out of style. I love mine and it gets a lot of wear. In addition, getting something that is a different metal and different shape will give you something completely different from your GMT (while a Sub which is a great watch, and I know the idea is give a watch to each of your kids, but it is essentially pretty close to what you already own only newer).

I wouldn't feel that bad about your previous SA leaving. At least they still carry the brand and other brands such as Cartier that you would consider. The last 4 Rolex ADs I dealt with in the last 15 years, all lost their Rolex contract and don't carry anything of interest, or they closed completely...so any purchase history I had with them is gone.

The new SA suggested that additional purchases would help your case, so although I could be wrong, that suggests to me you have to make at least a few substantial purchases for them to get you that Sub. If they don't come through on the Sub in time for your birthday, then purchasing that Tank (or other watch you like that they carry) could help your case for obtaining a Sub for a future birthday or anniversary.

Yea, I’m getting more and more used to that fact although the previous SA never really gave me that vibe in our many conversations about watches and Rolexs over the past couple of months. Maybe it’s just a change of tone that kind of caught me off guard. And your right, at least there’s a good alignment with some of the other watches I like at this AD (JLC, IWC, Cartier, Patek)…the other AD in Philly only really carries Rolex and Patek, the later of which is well out of my range at MSRP.

One of the other thoughts I have is to directly propose a deal package when I get closer - Sub plus diamond earings to stow away for the wife’s 40th in a few years time.

Honestly, I’d be very very happy if I decided buy the Tank LC for my birthday. I kept finding myself sneaking peaks and the wrist shot I took throughout the day. It’s now really the only other main contender other than the sub that I’ve been really excited about. Really my only concerns with going for the Tank LC over the Sub is a) it doesn’t align with the plan for my kids, and b) I don’t have too many excuses for extravagant purchases like this…if I forgo the subnow it’ll likely need to wait another 10 years til my 50th to revisit it and at that point who knows what the price will be (or if my prior spend will even still count).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads