• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not even necessarily sure that I want a diver. I am really craving something with water resistance, that is fun. My rotation right now is the MUT Moon, which is not fun, and the Speedmaster, which I love but is also not that fun.
You want something fun? Check out the Gorilla Outlaw Drift. Yes, the name is horrible and the design is not everyone's cup of tea. But I kind of like it.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
... in my early days I spent time with a NY firm that had been described by Tom Wolfe as creating houses with all the charm of an insecticide factory. I'm sure a shrink could have a field day with that range.
So you were a stormtrooper in Le Corbusier Wehrmacht. Tsk, tsk.

• Haha
Reactions: RSS

pmeis

Reaction score
I am not even necessarily sure that I want a diver. I am really craving something with water resistance, that is fun. My rotation right now is the MUT Moon, which is not fun, and the Speedmaster, which I love but is also not that fun.

Yeah, I am definitely interested in watches in different categories. In addition to the BB58 and Seamaster, I'm also pretty interested in the Santos, the H08, and the Bulgari OF (although I want to try the OF). In short, I'm kind of all over the map.
To me it doesn't sounds like you actually want a dive watch and it seems like you'd end up not particularly satisfied even if you think the BB58 is a "damn fine watch".

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want something fun? Check out the Gorilla Outlaw Drift. Yes, the name is horrible and the design is not everyone's cup of tea. But I kind of like it.
I hadn't heard of the Gorilla brand before, but it was interesting to read that he Mr. Garcia had worked for AP where he fell in love with the "Star Wheel" design. I first saw an AP Star Wheel at a local AD back in 1996, and it was really groundbreaking in its day.

While I like the concept and the price is very affordable, I'm not loving the overall appearance.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a “fun” [dive] watch under 5k - maybe a doxa or zodiac? I mean, I’m still in camp BB58 (or sub), but the recent doxa posts piqued my curiosity and I love some of the more quirky zodiacs...

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the goal is a “fun” dive watch, this one has been on my wrist most of the summer.

4DB3BF8E-4888-46F2-B808-BAB87DD8B523.jpeg

Homage to the Doxa Army by the guy who resuscitated and managed Doxa for 20 years and recently left. Limited edition and sold out, but pretty easy to find second hand right now for under $1,500. ETA 2824-2 movement, if that matters.

yls2012

Reaction score
Specific inquiry here: I have a Glashutte Senator Navigator (the pilot's watch) with a solid case back. These also were produced with display backs (in fact it was possible for a time to have Glashutte do this). No luck getting Swatch/Glashutte to do this now, or to give me a case back to install separately. Any ideas on how to source one or get this done?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm more drawn to the Reversos, which are a completely different style. I guess my taste in dress watches tends to be something a bit more romantic or whimsical. So in the past I was more interested in pieces from VC. In addition, the few dress watches I have are not round.
You have some beautiful watches!

I too am a fan of the Reverso and have what I call the day/date ... and one of my PP's is a Gondolo. I'm giving serious thought to a Cartier Tank. The Reverso is in steel and I think of it as a dressy casual. I have a desire for one in gold.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.