• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By a strange coincidence, I have the Doxa sub 300 in orange arriving tomorrow. I also have the Synchron Military, which shares the same case as an older version of the 300T. And, also having an Oris Aquis, here is what I can share (based on the Synchron Military and my research):

- It wears much smaller than the Oris Aquis. One of the things I like best about it is the 42.5 mm cushion case with the much smaller bezel and dial (I believe the dial is approximately 28 mm in diameter). Ridiculously comfortable and masculine in appearance without looking like a hockey puck on your wrist. I really like the chunkiness of this one in the 42 mm case size.

- Do your research on the current version of the 300T. The bracelet flares out significantly, is chunkier than the 300 bracelet and has a large ratchet clasp. In researching it and reading about people's experiences with it, the bracelet is pretty universally panned and there are lots of posts about trying to find alternative bracelets that fit the 300T case, such as a 1200T bracelet or using the 300T end links with a 300 bracelet.

- The beads of rice for the 300T end links are fixed (they do not articulate) and extend significantly beyond the lugs, which increases the lug to lug width and can result in a significant gap and weird angle for the bracelet as it diverges from the end links. Again, lots of posts about people filing those down or other hacks that should not be necessary on a $2K watch.

- I've got in the back of my mind that I want an aqua marine 300T to go along with the 300 professional arriving tomorrow, but the bracelet and end link issues have given me enough pause that I've got that on the back burner for now. I may eventually get one, but, if I do, it will be knowing that I'll probably wear it on an Erika's Original or rubber strap 90% of the time.

Best of luck to you.
I wonder how many Doxa owners trace their purchase back to the Dirk Pitt/Clive Cussler connection? My Dad read those books when I was a kid and I read a bunch as a teenager. It certainly had an impact on my desire to own a dive watch.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you have any concerns that Patek will refuse to service in the future due to the 3rd party case restoration?

I think @Dino944 recently talked about how Rolex will not service any watched with major mods...
No concerns. The watch hasn’t been fundamentally altered. It’s no different than if I polished it myself, which people do. It’s not like the lugs were cut into a different shape. Anyway, how would they ever know?

Rolex won’t service a watch that has been mechanically modified or where parts have been swapped or where the case shape has been purposefully altered (e.g. crown guards cut off). They won’t refuse a watch just because it’s been polished or refinished.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many Doxa owners trace their purchase back to the Dirk Pitt/Clive Cussler connection? My Dad read those books when I was a kid and I read a bunch as a teenager. It certainly had an impact on my desire to own a dive watch.
The two friends that own Doxa dive watches, got them because they read the books. Although perhaps for their taste differs from Dirk/Clive's taste or because my friends don't go scuba diving, but neither of them opted for the classic orange dial version that Dirk wore. I have another friend who isn't into watches, but has read every Clive Cussler book. He said if he were ever buying an expensive watch he would buy the classic orange dial diving watch that Dirk wore.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The two friends that own Doxa dive watches, got them because they read the books. Although perhaps for their taste differs from Dirk/Clive's taste or because my friends don't go scuba diving, but neither of them opted for the classic orange dial version that Dirk wore. I have another friend who isn't into watches, but has read every Clive Cussler book. He said if he were ever buying an expensive watch he would buy the classic orange dial diving watch that Dirk wore.
I've never read any of those Cussler books, although now I'm curious. Interesting that what I would imagine is a somewhat insignificant detail about a character's watch stuck with so many people enough that they bought the item themselves.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never read any of those Cussler books, although now I'm curious. Interesting that what I would imagine is a somewhat insignificant detail about a character's watch stuck with so many people enough that they bought the item themselves.
I've read several of the books Inca Gold, Sahara (different from the movie), Atlantis Found, and a few others and they are very entertaining. I can't remember which books I have read that reference the watch.

There is another book series (the name escapes me at the moment, I'd have to check through my books), where the fictional action hero wears a Rolex Explorer II ref 16570. EDIT- Scot Harvath wears and Explorer II in "The Lions of Lucerne."

Last edited:

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am getting myself a present , long searched for and finally found. I wanted to find one with a copper dial, but for now will scratch the itch with this one. Will switch the strap to grey or beige alligator later. Pics are of my watch from the dealer.
chopard-st-moritz-8386-pow-multiple-2.jpg

chopard-st-moritz-8386-pow-multiple-5.jpg

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I've read several of the books Inca Gold, Sahara (different from the movie), Atlantis Found, and a few others and they are very entertaining. I can't remember which books I have read that reference the watch.

There is another book series (the name escapes me at the moment, I'd have to check through my books), where the fictional action hero wears a Rolex Explorer II ref 16570.
Have you read the "Biggles" books?
It's about a pilot who flies in WW1.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am getting myself a present , long searched for and finally found. I wanted to find one with a copper dial, but for now will scratch the itch with this one. Will switch the strap to grey or beige alligator later. Pics are of my watch from the dealer.
View attachment 1646475
View attachment 1646476
Congrats!!! I haven't seen a St. Mortiz chronograph in many years. I tried one on with a bracelet, in their NYC boutique I think in the early 2000s. IIRC the base movement is very nice, an F.Piguet 1185 (same base movement used in the AP RO chronograph, the 1st and 2nd gen Overseas chronographs, and the 38mm Pasha Chronographs). Looking forward to seeing some wrist shots soon. Congrats and enjoy it! :cheers:

Have you read the "Biggles" books?
It's about a pilot who flies in WW1.
I haven't read that one. I've read a few based on WWII such as The Runner by Christopher Reich and Hornet Flight by Ken Follet.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen the trailer for the new film, "House of Gucci?" Looks like Al Pacino who plays Aldo Gucci may be wearing a Breguet based on the straight lugs and the subdial placement moonphase, power reserve and date.

Sorry for the grainy photo...it was just a quick photo from my computer monitor with an iphone.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/sOsWRLh.jpg[/img]']

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharing a couple of quick pictures of my new Sub 300. I think I like the 300T case better overall, but like the domed crystal and thin mid-case on this one too. It’s very wearable, even on a bracelet.

Oh, never read the books; just like the watch

CA907B88-CC5F-42B2-B746-533DF67FDD65.jpeg
745E085F-6121-41B7-BE68-6C4B480FD029.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharing a couple of quick pictures of my new Sub 300. I think I like the 300T case better overall, but like the domed crystal and thin mid-case on this one too. It’s very wearable, even on a bracelet.

Oh, never read the books; just like the watch

View attachment 1646553View attachment 1646554
Looks great! Congrats and enjoy them! :cheers: Also thanks for the side by side case comparison! I was wondering what the difference in cases would look like.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.