• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another lazy, bullshit, overpriced design from the most has-been of has-been companies:

View attachment 1645998

In all seriousness, I didn’t really get this watch before. But learning more about the complexity of the case finishing and actually wearing it are instilling a far deeper appreciation.

I’ve been wearing my Daytona virtually daily for the past few months. It’s been an absolute joy in terms of comfort and tactility, but the experience also starkly contextualizes the greater refinement of the Aquanaut, which is substantially more comfortable due to being much thinner. It is almost surreal for a watch so sporty in character and wide in diameter to feel so flat on the wrist.

Woe unto me if I ever get a serious ding. This case is clearly a pain in the ass to work with. As on my 5296, the bezel is a single piece with the mid case. Further, there are no straight lines—everything is at least slightly curved. Add to all that the mix of brushed versus polished surfaces and you have a case more difficult to finish than a Royal Oak’s. Plus, the polished areas are done by hand, as exemplified by the subtle roundness in the reflections.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, this watch absolutely needs to be handled and worn to be properly understood. In photos, I always thought it looked awkward and even a bit clunky. How wrong was I! In real life, the whole piece feels organic and pre-determined. Also, learning some added history didn’t hurt my appreciation for the looks. Rumor is that the Aquanaut was originally designed for use by officers in an unidentified Middle Eastern military, at the request of that country’s monarch. Patek will not confirm or deny.

The critical problem with the Aquanaut is that it is too preciously crafted for me to feel good about banging it around. It will take time to get comfortable treating this as a beater, even though that is the life it’s meant to have.
Congrats on your new watch! I never really understood the attraction to a rubber strap on a watch until I tried one on one of my watches. So I can definitely see it being a nice alternative and more comfortable than a steel bracelet in the summer. Plus one never has to worry about scratching a rubber strap and getting it polished. I've always favored the Nautilus, but I would find the rubber strap of the Aquanaut easier to wear as a beater or beach watch because I hate scratches. Congrats and enjoy it! :cheers:

kongmw

Reaction score
Does anyone have recs for places to get case back engravings done in NYC? Since I'm nowhere close to the spending at my AD for sports steel Rolexes, I thought at least I could get the ones I have engraved. Thanks!

Strog

Reaction score
Now here's a Patek with font choice (if you can call it a font choice) that I can get behind:

View attachment 1646065

Not my picture. But I want one.
This watch works for me. I agree that the weekly calendar is a quirky complication and the visual results are polarizing. I haven't encountered a lot of "fence straddlers" with the 5212A. In my experience, people either like it or they don't. Consequently, I'm not at all surprised that opinions here seem to be so strong. For those who favor the design, the 5212A is a very easy watch to live with if you can locate one.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm on the busy and ugly AF side. I find myself generally not liking calendar watches now.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
The alligator band on my Mark XVI is on its last leg. While I think the gator makes for a nice juxtaposition with the classic pilot face/design, I'm wondering if anyone's seen a Mark with a band other than gator that looked good? The standard IWC metal band looks kinda off to my eye.

I'm flirting with a rubber band or maybe even a woven option (I wore a 214270 with a black woven nylon band for years) but I haven't seen an example that I'm thrilled with.

At any rate, any suggestions for alternative bands? The XVI design is pretty versatile, so open to any and all thoughts.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The alligator band on my Mark XVI is on its last leg. While I think the gator makes for a nice juxtaposition with the classic pilot face/design, I'm wondering if anyone's seen a Mark with a band other than gator that looked good? The standard IWC metal band looks kinda off to my eye.

I'm flirting with a rubber band or maybe even a woven option (I wore a 214270 with a black woven nylon band for years) but I haven't seen an example that I'm thrilled with.

At any rate, any suggestions for alternative bands? The XVI design is pretty versatile, so open to any and all thoughts.
The most classic strap on an IWC pilot watch is buffalo. The original Mark XI was issued with a black buffalo strap and off-white stitching. Looks fantastic.

Alternatively, you could do a brown buffalo strap. Or a NATO.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone have recs for places to get case back engravings done in NYC? Since I'm nowhere close to the spending at my AD for sports steel Rolexes, I thought at least I could get the ones I have engraved. Thanks!
On a watch I care about, I’d send it out to the best person for engraving rather than be constrained by locale. Not to say there isn’t someone really good in NYC—I just don’t know and would be willing to go further afield.

Fourtane in California had this done for Eric Ku on a Rolex Submariner:

210F7EC8-D88F-4CA7-B9C3-1EDB623AF8BA.jpeg

Maybe if you call and ask nicely, they’ll direct you to the engraver who did the work.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.