• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of my friends that have one, have the 300T. Neither has complained about the bracelet and the non-articulating first links, but they have large wrists so it's probably not an issue for them.

It's also interesting to see in the first photo the domed crystal of the 300. I hadn't noticed that previously. Looking forward to seeing wrist shots of yours soon.
It's incredible the amount of information complied on Doxa subs by fans. From what I understand, the current 300T with this bracelet, clasp and end link configuration started in roughly 2019. Prior to that, the "Marei era" 300T had normal end links, bracelet and clasp. It may be that your friends have the prior version or simply don't have the small wrist problem.

I'm looking forward to trying on the 300 as it shares the same case diameter and lug to lug as the 300T, but is much thinner. Will post pictures once I get the bracelet sized.

pmeis

Reaction score
As mentioned yesterday, had some quick work to do in the city and then was able to do a bit of in person watch browsing that outside of a trip to the Cartier boutique, I hadn't really done since right before the pandemic started. I hit up the Worn & Wound Pop Up shop, Watches of Switzerland (SoHo), one of the Tourneaus and stopped in a few brand boutiqes. Had a very attentive saleswoman at WoS who I think would have shown me anything in the store I wanted to see for as long as I wanted, but I wasn't really motivated by much of what I saw to try on and I didn't really want to waste her time. Overall, was a nice day to be in the city as the temp hovered under 80.Highlight might have been the dynamite egg sandwich and hash brown from Egg Shop which was around the corner from the Pop Up. While I didn't buy any watches, I did by a couple knick-knacks from the Pop Up shop that I had previously contemplated buying. Fun day overall!

Anyway, here is a random assortment of some crappy phone pics:

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Seiko GS psoriasis dial is the best.
Ingenious and highly artistic Japanese rendition of unfrotunate skin disease.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As mentioned yesterday, had some quick work to do in the city and then was able to do a bit of in person watch browsing that outside of a trip to the Cartier boutique, I hadn't really done since right before the pandemic started. I hit up the Worn & Wound Pop Up shop, Watches of Switzerland (SoHo), one of the Tourneaus and stopped in a few brand boutiqes. Had a very attentive saleswoman at WoS who I think would have shown me anything in the store I wanted to see for as long as I wanted, but I wasn't really motivated by much of what I saw to try on and I didn't really want to waste her time. Overall, was a nice day to be in the city as the temp hovered under 80.Highlight might have been the dynamite egg sandwich and hash brown from Egg Shop which was around the corner from the Pop Up. While I didn't buy any watches, I did by a couple knick-knacks from the Pop Up shop that I had previously contemplated buying. Fun day overall!

Anyway, here is a random assortment of some crappy phone pics:

What did you think of the anOrdain Model 1? Is the dial and finishing as nice as I keep hearing it is?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another lazy, bullshit, overpriced design from the most has-been of has-been companies:

05C9604A-84BE-4BC6-A60D-990D03063C7C.jpeg

In all seriousness, I didn’t really get this watch before. But learning more about the complexity of the case finishing and actually wearing it are instilling a far deeper appreciation.

I’ve been wearing my Daytona virtually daily for the past few months. It’s been an absolute joy in terms of comfort and tactility, but the experience also starkly contextualizes the greater refinement of the Aquanaut, which is substantially more comfortable due to being much thinner. It is almost surreal for a watch so sporty in character and wide in diameter to feel so flat on the wrist.

Woe unto me if I ever get a serious ding. This case is clearly a pain in the ass to work with. As on my 5296, the bezel is a single piece with the mid case. Further, there are no straight lines—everything is at least slightly curved. Add to all that the mix of brushed versus polished surfaces and you have a case more difficult to finish than a Royal Oak’s. Plus, the polished areas are done by hand, as exemplified by the subtle roundness in the reflections.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, this watch absolutely needs to be handled and worn to be properly understood. In photos, I always thought it looked awkward and even a bit clunky. How wrong was I! In real life, the whole piece feels organic and pre-determined. Also, learning some added history didn’t hurt my appreciation for the looks. Rumor is that the Aquanaut was originally designed for use by officers in an unidentified Middle Eastern military, at the request of that country’s monarch. Patek will not confirm or deny.

The critical problem with the Aquanaut is that it is too preciously crafted for me to feel good about banging it around. It will take time to get comfortable treating this as a beater, even though that is the life it’s meant to have.

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another lazy, bullshit, overpriced design from the most has-been of has-been companies:

View attachment 1645998

In all seriousness, I didn’t really get this watch before. But learning more about the complexity of the case finishing and actually wearing it are instilling a far deeper appreciation.

I’ve been wearing my Daytona virtually daily for the past few months. It’s been an absolute joy in terms of comfort and tactility, but the experience also starkly contextualizes the greater refinement of the Aquanaut, which is substantially more comfortable due to being much thinner. It is almost surreal for a watch so sporty in character and wide in diameter to feel so flat on the wrist.

Woe unto me if I ever get a serious ding. This case is clearly a pain in the ass to work with. As on my 5296, the bezel is a single piece with the mid case. Further, there are no straight lines—everything is at least slightly curved. Add to all that the mix of brushed versus polished surfaces and you have a case more difficult to finish than a Royal Oak’s. Plus, the polished areas are done by hand, as exemplified by the subtle roundness in the reflections.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, this watch absolutely needs to be handled and worn to be properly understood. In photos, I always thought it looked awkward and even a bit clunky. How wrong was I! In real life, the whole piece feels organic and pre-determined. Also, learning some added history didn’t hurt my appreciation for the looks. Rumor is that the Aquanaut was originally designed for use by officers in an unidentified Middle Eastern military, at the request of that country’s monarch. Patek will not confirm or deny.

The critical problem with the Aquanaut is that it is too preciously crafted for me to feel good about banging it around. It will take time to get comfortable treating this as a beater, even though that is the life it’s meant to have.
Feel free to send it my way, I'll have no trouble treating it as a beater

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I treated my RO as a beater so you'll easily learn to treat an Aquanaut on a rubber strap as a beater.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1645998

Cool watch, bro.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
I go back and forth on the Aquanaut. Some days I love it, some days it's just meh. I do know that I prefer it to a Nautilus.

pmeis

Reaction score
What did you think of the anOrdain Model 1? Is the dial and finishing as nice as I keep hearing it is?
For me it's missing a couple of things. The case is a bit too simple, but that's not exactly unexpected in this price range. While not absurdly thick by any means, a little extra bit of rounding of the profile would make a nice difference in the feel of the watch to me.

The main thing is I find the dial to be a bit too plain. The dial is beautifully done, it just has too much negative space to my eye. The goal of course is to make the dial treatment the star, so they place the logo along the rehaut to keep it out of the way, but it creates too much negative space to my eye. It works a bit better in the fume enamel versions as they have a bit more of a looser dial texture going. The logo in the prototypical dial location would work much better to my eye. This is not a unique issue for me though as I've had issues with other watches with similar approach. While I'm certainly not a huge fan of the wall of text, the super sterile approach doesn't quite work for me either, just a little bit of something below the 12 o'clock marker goes a long way to my eye.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.