• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are we just picking out of your collection? If so, I'd go Reverso, Rolex GMT and Daytona
@George Red Out of what I've seen you post here, I'd go with Speedy, Pepsi, and Reverso. Based on the statements you've made in the past about how much you love the Speedy, I think this is really more of a question of: "What two watches would best complement my Speedy in a 3-watch collection?"
I would pick the (non-ceramic) Daytona over the Speedy, if only because the Daytona will be much more difficult to buy later at a reasonable price. You can always buy a Speedy.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would pick the (non-ceramic) Daytona over the Speedy, if only because the Daytona will be much more difficult to buy later at a reasonable price. You can always buy a Speedy.
Counterpoint to that is that currently the Daytona market is ridiculous. You could always cash in on the hot market and then pick one up again at a later time if you really wanted another Daytona. Of course who knows where they'll be in the next few years and they could inexplicably continue to increase in value even in the face of an increasingly more interesting chrono market (new zeniths, jlc, speedy, etc)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Counterpoint to that is that currently the Daytona market is ridiculous. You could always cash in on the hot market and then pick one up again at a later time if you really wanted another Daytona. Of course who knows where they'll be in the next few years and they could inexplicably continue to increase in value even in the face of an increasingly more interesting chrono market (new zeniths, jlc, speedy, etc)
Or you sell and prices continue to go up and you can never afford it again.

I know guys who have owned various watches and sports cars, sold them to buy something else made a little money when they did it, but figured prices would remain constant. Now prices are such they can't afford to get them again.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 8, which is too much. And - yes - I love them all, but sometimes I reach for a watch in the morning, see 8 options, and think to myself: "Dude, what the fuck. Too much."
Well to be fair, you were supposed to send me the Patek over a year ago so I could wear it while working in the yard...

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you sell and prices continue to go up and you can never afford it again.

I know guys who have owned various watches and sports cars, sold them to buy something else made a little money when they did it, but figured prices would remain constant. Now prices are such they can't afford to get them again.
Right, like I said prices could also increase and you're essentially taking a gamble that the current situation is a temporary bubble. If you truly loved the watch then I probably wouldn't sell regardless but if you're on the fence then the current market demand could very well sway a number of people.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Variety is a spice of life. I am not a big timer when it comes to watches (all are vinatge, mid level brands) but I am quite ok with having 13 of them on offer every day.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's that time again, folks. Name your ideal three-watch collection, please (yes, once more, I'm considering consolidating).
Basic, reasonably attainable set:
Cartier Tank LC (mechanical version)
Rolex Sub 124060
IWC Spitfire

Mid-grade, but still out of reach set:
Patek 5227R
Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO
Omega Speedster Pro (sapphire dial)

"If I hit the lotto" set:
FP Journe Octa Lune
Rolex 116500LN (black dial)
Patek Aquanaut 5968A

*all current production models, excluding any vintage models...

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I only get three, there's no way I'm picking two SS
My counterpoint is that there's no situation in which none of those two is appropriate, except of when you need a dress watch.
Right, as long as you have a dress watch, you've got the GMT for travel and a chrono for your tool watch. Don't see how those overlap in a 3 watch collection
In my view, the Pepsi and Speedy have different use cases, although in fairness they do overlap to some degree. Another part of my thought process is that the Reverso is not strictly a dress watch, and it doesn't look out of place in more casual environments. I think those the three watches that I proposed (the Pepsi, Speedy, and Reverso) are all different enough to cover nearly anyone's bases. My response was also limited by (1) only choosing watches I'd seen George Red post on this thread; and (2) beginning with the assumption that the Speedy was a lock due to his previous comments about how much he loves that watch.

All good points. Here's a valid question: Has COVID diminished the need for a dress watch? I haven't been to a wedding in over a year. My tux is collecting dust. When I go to court, I do it by Zoom. Do we need dress watches anymore?
I think need is a strong term. I also haven't been to a wedding in over a year, but I am going to a black tie event in September (yes, I usually wear a small dress watch with black tie--iGent fail). Most of our courts have gone back to in-person hearings, so I do have a use for an appropriate watch (and pants) when I appear.

Practical answer? Yes, there are very few situations where you need a "proper dress watch".

Real answer? You love watches, and you give a shit about wearing something appropriate, so you're going to want a dress watch. Just pick something that can play down more casually (e.g., your Reverso).
Yes, you will always need some form of dress watch. I know you are in a different state, and maybe you are practicing in a different area of law than I do, however our courts are moving back to having in person hearings and trials.

Perhaps your courts will eventually do the same. You may even be invited to weddings going forward. After not having any weddings to attend for a while, I have a few to attend this fall.

Not to mention, for a nice evening out with the Mrs., where you might at least wear a sport jacket - a dress watch that can be is definitely a must have. Something like Reverso or maybe a commissioned Tank (with a dial color, numerals, and hands to your specs) that one can dress up or dress down. Perhaps you have too many white metal watches. Perhaps something in rose or yellow gold to add a bit of variety in terms of color.
+1, totally agree with you both.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3 watch collection to keep it simple
1. Platinum Patek 5711 - sport
2. Patek Skymoon Tourbillion 5002 - dress
3. JLC Reverso Quadriptyque - casual

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks