• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 8, which is too much. And - yes - I love them all, but sometimes I reach for a watch in the morning, see 8 options, and think to myself: "Dude, what the fuck. Too much."
I found once I had more than 4, they all got a lot less wrist time. Still I love what I have and I haven't sold one in years.

Great looking watch, but is anyone else seeing the illusion of what looks like fractured (or otherwise fucked up) wrist shape, created by the trapezoid?
I could live with the illusion of a fractured wrist, the Tank Asymetrique is beautiful!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we just picking out of your collection? If so, I'd go Reverso, Rolex GMT and Daytona

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good trio.
(granted I would never stop at 3...I think 5 is as low is I would go, as I would want at least two watches on the dressier end of the spectrum: one in a yellow or rose gold and the other in a white metal...)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
5296G, 5170G, Daytona.

Plus 5164A, 5711R, and/or Day-Date for extra credit.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@George Red Out of what I've seen you post here, I'd go with Speedy, Pepsi, and Reverso. Based on the statements you've made in the past about how much you love the Speedy, I think this is really more of a question of: "What two watches would best complement my Speedy in a 3-watch collection?"

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the purpose of having both a Sub/GMT and a Speedy in a 3-watch collection? As I see it, the "use case" for those watches is almost identical (excluding the limited situations when Speedy's WR isn't enough).

If I only get three, there's no way I'm picking two SS sport watches that, for all intents and purposes, look the same and serve the same purpose. They're all great watches, don't get me wrong. I just think they're too similar to include in such a small collection.

garigo

Reaction score
My counterpoint is that there's no situation in which none of those two is appropriate, except of when you need a dress watch.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, as long as you have a dress watch, you've got the GMT for travel and a chrono for your tool watch. Don't see how those overlap in a 3 watch collection

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My counterpoint is that there's no situation in which at least one of those two is appropriate, except of when you need a dress watch.
But they're appropriate in exactly the same situations. The Venn diagram between a Sub and Speedy is basically just a single circle with a sliver for the Sub when you're at the pool or beach.

garigo

Reaction score
But they're appropriate in exactly the same situations. The Venn diagram between a Sub and Speedy is basically just a single circle with a sliver for the Sub when you're at the pool or beach.
To me they can complement the outfit / occasion in different ways, so they're not interchangeable. What would you sub in for one of them to make it more appealing?

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All good points. Here's a valid question: Has COVID diminished the need for a dress watch? I haven't been to a wedding in over a year. My tux is collecting dust. When I go to court, I do it by Zoom. Do we need dress watches anymore?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me they can complement the outfit / occasion in different ways, so they're not interchangeable. What would you sub in for one of them to make it more appealing?
You may be right. I have a Sub and I just know that I'd never wear a Speedy or an Explorer if I had one because I would just always default to the Sub. At least with the Speedy you know it's a strap monster so you could mix it up that way.

If I went with a chrono, I'd want something with a lighter dial (white or silver).

If I wanted another SS sports watch, I'd get something with a different shape (maybe a Santos) or dial color.

garigo

Reaction score
All good points. Here's a valid question: Has COVID diminished the need for a dress watch? I haven't been to a wedding in over a year. My tux is collecting dust. When I go to court, I do it by Zoom. Do we need dress watches anymore?
You need a dress watch that looks good dressed down.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.