• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For sure, would never buy another Nomos watch: the build quality isn't there, and their customer service is awful. All well-and-good to have interesting, award-winning designs, but if the watch only lasts five years, what good is it?
Very clever of them on implementing planned obsolescence

mebiuspower

Reaction score
A couple of (unhappy) thoughts on Nomos. Bought a Metro back in 2014. Had it cleaned and adjusted in 2019: took them two tries to get it right, as the first time they returned the watch running as slow as when I sent it to them for cleaning. After 16 months, the watch simply stopped and needed servicing again. For those three trips to and from Nomos, I was without the watch for 11 months. Email and calls to Nomos were never returned and even Tourneau couldn't find out what was happening with the watch for weeks and weeks. (I sent the Metro through Tourneau, as I wanted the additional year of post-service warranty and given that I needed to send it back after 16 months am glad I did).

Bought my wife an Orion five years ago as a 25th anniversary present, two years into my time with the Metro (when I was still happy with it). Was planning to send it in for cleaning/adjustment this year as we approached our 30th, albeit with trepidation given my experience with Nomos service. Last week she told me that the winding mechanism was broken -- just turns free, no winding at all.

I'll send it back, but at almost $500 or more for servicing am very hesitant. Still, it was an important anniversary present and feel obligated to get it fixed.

For sure, would never buy another Nomos watch: the build quality isn't there, and their customer service is awful. All well-and-good to have interesting, award-winning designs, but if the watch only lasts five years, what good is it?
That sucks.

But this does bring back the argument if in-house movement is better than ETA/Selita. If Nomos use ETA (or even modified ETA) they probably wouldn't have those issues.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of all the case restorers in Italy (who are responsible for the world’s seemingly impossible supply of “unpolished”/NOS vintage watches)
Can you share which case restorers can bring a watch back to a NOS-like state?

I like a few vintage watches, but I also want the watch to be "mine" and I think that a service and a restoration to NOS-like status would be an interesting way to hit 'reset' on a watch. Also for what it is worth, I don't intend on ever reselling any of my watches, so this would just be for me and not any sort of NOS "forgery" for re-sale

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sucks.

But this does bring back the argument if in-house movement is better than ETA/Selita. If Nomos use ETA (or even modified ETA) they probably wouldn't have those issues.
Some of it may speak to the quality of lack thereof, but also what I find disturbing is the customer service - lack of contact/lack of follow up - essentially leaving the owner in the dark. Any watch (or other product) can have a problem/and or need a repair, but it is how the company handles it, and how good their repair department is at dealing with it that helps me determine if I would ever buy another product from them.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I like a few vintage watches, but I also want the watch to be "mine" and I think that a service and a restoration to NOS-like status would be an interesting way to hit 'reset' on a watch. Also for what it is worth, I don't intend on ever reselling any of my watches, so this would just be for me and not any sort of NOS "forgery" for re-sale

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If a Rolex, LAWW and Rolliworks in California are two of the best for a straight-up restoration. However, they pretty much only do Rolex and have a specific process for doing everything, with little to no hand work. That means you can get a Rolex from any vintage brought back to factory spec, but if you have any more specialized job (e.g. take out a ding on one lug but leave the rest of the watch untouched), they won’t be able to do it. Think of them as all or nothing and limited to largely machine-finished cases

For case work that requires detailed hand polishing, you’ll need one of the Italians or the firm I used in California (PM me). The best Italians include Time Lab (Milan), Il Menzerno (Rome), and Martini Gian Carlo (Parma). They do intensive, meticulous work on high-dollar Pateks. As you’ve seen from my experience with even a relatively pedestrian, modern Calatrava, Patek cases are a bitch to work on. Expect to pay in the four figures for any meaningful job.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's that time again, folks. Name your ideal three-watch collection, please (yes, once more, I'm considering consolidating).
George, you seem to love what you have. Short of maybe trading in towards higher end/ more expensive watches when you know that one of the issues you are going to run into on a three watch collection is getting rid of multiple watch which serve the same function, ie.chronograph.Would you be willing to trade in either your Speedy or your Daytona?

Out of curiosity, how many watches do you have? Maybe a 6 watch collection...maybe 8.

In my opinion, while times have changed, my three watch h collection would include an everyday watch, a weekend/vacation watch and a dressier watch for special occasions.
I am happy with my rail master for everyday (although I am working on a new strap waiting for my deployment clasp from Omega - over 2 months now) to send it to David lane to get a casual leather strap. At the same time I am in the market for a relatively inexpensive fun dive watch for weekends, etc. I am pretty close and hope to have a second watch by the fall to show you all. I might just stop there as my lifestyle really does not require a dressier watch. But there are many I like.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realistic trio:

1. Sub

2. ALS 1815 up/down in yellow gold

3. Third one is tough because there's nothing I like as much as the two above. I'd probably use this as a rotating spot for the flavor of the month if I was to actually do this.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
George, you seem to love what you have. Short of maybe trading in towards higher end/ more expensive watches when you know that one of the issues you are going to run into on a three watch collection is getting rid of multiple watch which serve the same function, ie.chronograph.Would you be willing to trade in either your Speedy or your Daytona?

Out of curiosity, how many watches do you have? Maybe a 6 watch collection...maybe 8.

In my opinion, while times have changed, my three watch h collection would include an everyday watch, a weekend/vacation watch and a dressier watch for special occasions.
I am happy with my rail master for everyday (although I am working on a new strap waiting for my deployment clasp from Omega - over 2 months now) to send it to David lane to get a casual leather strap. At the same time I am in the market for a relatively inexpensive fun dive watch for weekends, etc. I am pretty close and hope to have a second watch by the fall to show you all. I might just stop there as my lifestyle really does not require a dressier watch. But there are many I like.
I have 8, which is too much. And - yes - I love them all, but sometimes I reach for a watch in the morning, see 8 options, and think to myself: "Dude, what the fuck. Too much."

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.