• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
interesting point. Somewhat ironic given the current fad of slim fit.

Something should also be said of the slow but steady revolution of tool watches displacing a true dress watch. The tool watch seems to now be the king of the hill.
Yet, as much as this is a fashion site? we probably all look like a character from king of the hill.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there is a town in florida called celebration, it was built by disney in the 1990s.

there are other notable, ambitious (even utopian) planning developments including Unwin's garden cities and of course Irvine CA, the mother of american planning/design export.

it's an interesting comparison, i find irvine super distasteful but is an undeniable success.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An interesting article - I wasn't aware of it. I'm not sure whether I'd want to live in a master-planned community such as that, but I do wish that we could be more protective of architectural heritage, and try to ensure that development is more sympathetic to it.

However, of course, that's all subjective - some people strenuously dislike older designs and love newer designs and so would vehemently disagree!

Where I live, the "traditional" housing (much of which was built from the 1880s through to the 1930s-1940s is predominantly timber. Our local council planning provisions state that pre-1946 houses cannot be torn down (unless they are derelict and permission is obtained). However, there's no provision against cutting them up and taking them away. Being timber, and usually sitting on timber piers, it's possible to cut them into two or three pieces, load them onto trucks, and take them away. As population density increases and so does land value, this has been happening more and more frequently - we've lost at least ten houses around my area over the past few years. In the place of these century-old or more houses which were designed for our climate with wide eaves, wrap-around verandahs and breezeways through the house, we're getting cheaply-built but very expensive blocks of apartments that are largely designed to be pumped full of air-conditioned air and have little to no protection against the sun.

It's all rather depressing... and is probably better suited to the architecture thread!

chanoch

Reaction score
A couple of (unhappy) thoughts on Nomos. Bought a Metro back in 2014. Had it cleaned and adjusted in 2019: took them two tries to get it right, as the first time they returned the watch running as slow as when I sent it to them for cleaning. After 16 months, the watch simply stopped and needed servicing again. For those three trips to and from Nomos, I was without the watch for 11 months. Email and calls to Nomos were never returned and even Tourneau couldn't find out what was happening with the watch for weeks and weeks. (I sent the Metro through Tourneau, as I wanted the additional year of post-service warranty and given that I needed to send it back after 16 months am glad I did).

Bought my wife an Orion five years ago as a 25th anniversary present, two years into my time with the Metro (when I was still happy with it). Was planning to send it in for cleaning/adjustment this year as we approached our 30th, albeit with trepidation given my experience with Nomos service. Last week she told me that the winding mechanism was broken -- just turns free, no winding at all.

I'll send it back, but at almost $500 or more for servicing am very hesitant. Still, it was an important anniversary present and feel obligated to get it fixed.

For sure, would never buy another Nomos watch: the build quality isn't there, and their customer service is awful. All well-and-good to have interesting, award-winning designs, but if the watch only lasts five years, what good is it?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.