• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Nickd

Reaction score
I've posted this watch before (my late father's watch) but I recently came across the original warranty book.

View attachment 1643086

Bit of an odd one, Omega Chronostop driver's watch purchased by my mother as a gift for my Dad a the American Embassy in Germany. Mom's father was a diplomat and working at a consulate in Germany at the time while my Dad was working in Vietnam.
I’ve probably posted this before but I absolutely love these. I wish I’d bought one a few years ago when they were about half the price they are now.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've posted this watch before (my late father's watch) but I recently came across the original warranty book.

View attachment 1643086

Bit of an odd one, Omega Chronostop driver's watch purchased by my mother as a gift for my Dad a the American Embassy in Germany. Mom's father was a diplomat and working at a consulate in Germany at the time while my Dad was working in Vietnam.
Such a cool piece of family history! I love that you have the original warranty showing when and where it was purchased!

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think someone just insulted PP 3448 comparing it to a musical poseur more famous for his style and pictures than his songs.

If Robert Plant wore a watch at a time it would have been Daytona. If he was peaking today he would have wore an RM or Big Bang.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only problem with modern Patek is the size of the dress watch cases. The 5396 is not a particularly egregious example at 38.5 especially with the complication but doesn't releasing a 39mm Calatrava "diminish" both literally and figuratively the older 33-35mm watches from decades past?

The issue will be further compounded for collectors if trends swing back in the opposite direction toward smaller watches thus forcing Patek to one again release smaller dress cases. the 39mm Calatrava will look horribly dated in the same way the older 33mm ones do now.

I know trends are unavoidable at a certain point and a commercial enterprise like Patek has to keep up with these trends to sell watches and stay in business, but it seems like a truly long-term philosophy would have pumped the brakes at 37mm.
I suspect you may have missed a salient point: people are getting bigger.

pasadena man

Reaction score
I suspect you may have missed a salient point: people are getting bigger.
Precisely. American men’s weight increased from 181 in the 1980’s to 196 in 2016 (about 8%). A proportionate increase in the size of watches would increase a 36mm diameter watch to 39mm.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Precisely. American men’s weight increased from 181 in the 1980’s to 196 in 2016 (about 8%). A proportionate increase in the size of watches would increase a 36mm diameter watch to 39mm.
interesting point. Somewhat ironic given the current fad of slim fit.

Something should also be said of the slow but steady revolution of tool watches displacing a true dress watch. The tool watch seems to now be the king of the hill.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.