1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Yeah, it's the specific historic based pieces of the 1966 collection (which is 50 years for them if I recall correctly) that I find look pretty nice. However the new WWTC seemed to be the one that they did the best. Here is the specific piece I'm referring to:

[​IMG]

I like that it's 40mm and that there isn't a lot of "filler". I do think the geographic track could be condensed a bit though.

I'm somewhat interested in a World Timer and this is one of the better looking ones in my price range. I also like the JLC Geophysic Universal Time, but I don't like that's bigger than 40mm. JLC Geographic's dial doesn't do it for me. I like the geographic track and how they did that, but a bit too much going on there for me. That said it looks a nice watch for what they seem to be going for (assuming memory serves me correctly on that latter bit). At the end of the day I'll probably just get a GMT Pepsi. [​IMG]

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I'm unclear as to what you man when you said the 1966 (which is 50 years for them)? Did you mean that the company is 50 years old? The company is much older than that dating back to 1791. The 1966 collection actually was released several years ago...but I guess today they can say its a tribute to pieces from 50 years ago (their website isn't so clear about that. I know it mentioned the release of high precision movement with 36,600 vph).

Anyway, the piece you posted is better looking than this mess they did several years ago.

I'm not really a world time kind of guy, so most of these pieces don't do a lot for me. If I were getting a GP I'd probably seek out a pre-owned dress watch and use the rest on a GMT Master. Cheers!

3. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

I thought it was the 50 year anniversary of the original watches this collection is "a tribute to", but having a look at their site I can see the numerous pieces and it sounds like more of an inspiration. I agree, it's not so clear and I personally wasn't aware they've been releasing pieces for this collection for some time. I've only just been hearing about GP so it's all rather new to me.

Yes, mess indeed. No comparison really.

I want to be a World time guy, but the list at present is long with too many other pieces ahead of a World timer.

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Needs to be more world time watches with San Francisco instead of Los Angeles. :uhoh:

1 person likes this.
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

SF, LA, whatever. Shouldn't it be Sacramento anyway? My GUB Spezimatic Weltzeit has Dakar instead of London. Now that's a statement.

Now, here's something fun for ol' @dino . I doubt he'd like like the offensively pimpy Friday-off-in-a-polojeansnloafers-oversized watch. But the scenery might catch his imagination.

Out to enjoy a friend's new toy for the heck of it. Ugh. I think I get the addiction some people have for these things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    2 people like this.
  6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I'm sure your watch is far too gigantic for my wrists...but you could wear a cheapo plastic Walmart watch and I would still appreciate the photo and that you thought of me as you enjoy some time with that fleet of beautiful GT3 and GT3RS Porsches! Hope you had a blast !!! There's something about having a day off with beautiful weather to enjoy some fun cars, that always puts a smile on my face! Cheers![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. mimo

mimo Senior member

I almost forgot to mention @HRoi He knows a thing or two about GT3s. And GT4s (there were a couple of those too...) I don't know how he feels about oversized poor man's watches or scruffy Camaro owners hanging out with the GT set, but I'm sure he'll appreciate the sentiment!

8. robw

robw Senior member

Wow, enjoy.

Note to self: I need a better class of friends

Now, here's something fun for ol' @dino
    .  I doubt he'd like like the offensively pimpy Friday-off-in-a-polojeansnloafers-oversized watch.  But the scenery might catch his imagination.

Out to enjoy a friend's new toy for the heck of it.  Ugh.  I think I get the addiction some people have for these things.

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

El piloto grande.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

El photo grande!

3 people like this.
  11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG]

Caught some cool light this morning.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    4 people like this.
  12. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

LOL'd.

13. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Off to deal with the final Christmas shopping...

[​IMG]

If you're doing likewise, I wish you a pain-free day.

3 people like this.
  14. JayCrabs

JayCrabs Member

[​IMG]

It's not a crazy expensive watch like some of you have but I like it. My new tissot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

4 people like this.
  15. roomiller

roomiller Senior member

And yet the IWC is somehow still smaller in that picture than it is in real life!

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

LOL'd

17. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Had a nice Cosmo and lunch with a friend at my club today:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Osmokott

Osmokott Member

19. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

I have decided to flip my Daytona for an AP RO, the only question is which one? 15202 or 15300? I've found a straight up trade for a blue 15300 & would obviously have to add cash for a 15202 trade.

My other main watches are a Rolex GMT BLNR, a Reverso duo bleu, & a Speedy Pro...

Your thoughts?

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

If you have the means to get the 15202 then it is the ONLY choice. It is the RO.

2 people like this.