• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A big issue on this thread seems to revolve around (semantic?) conflations of the term “value”. Whenever I hear someone mention the term “value“ on this thread, I regularly feel that what follows are a collection of specific biases relative to price, but unfortunately too often articulated as some sort of regulated, mutually agreed upon set of metrics relative to price...fucking yawn. Can we stop with this shit? It’s completely circular since there are no mutually agreed upon biases relative to price. Also, there aren’t even agreed upon functions for ANY type of watch (no matter the intended design function or marketing), thus price becomes a fairly relative/situational metric (see grey market Rolex...). This is some cultural relativism 101...

It would seem to me that the folks who talk most about value propositions might be trying to convince themselves. The loudest “value” shouters are likely the most insecure with their own decisions/calculations. Fine. All the “research” (after a certain point?) as “education” simply ends up being a way of repurposing/explaining away various mental disorders? (Jk!)

(nk)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A big issue on this thread seems to revolve around (semantic?) conflations of the term “value”. Whenever I hear someone mention the term “value“ on this thread, I regularly feel that what follows are a collection of specific biases relative to price, but unfortunately too often articulated as some sort of regulated, mutually agreed upon set of metrics relative to price...fucking yawn. Can we stop with this shit? It’s completely circular since there are no mutually agreed upon biases relative to price. Also, there aren’t even agreed upon functions for ANY type of watch (no matter the intended design function or marketing), thus price becomes a fairly relative/situational metric (see grey market Rolex...). This is some cultural relativism 101...

It would seem to me that the folks who talk most about value propositions might be trying to convince themselves. The loudest “value” shouters are likely the most insecure with their own decisions/calculations. Fine. All the “research” (after a certain point?) as “education” simply ends up being a way of repurposing/explaining away various mental disorders? (Jk!)

(nk)
You'd probably sleep better if you just accepted that everything anyone says here is just an opinion. Even the people who say it's a "fact" know it's an opinion. Just relax, look at pictures of watches, and don't worry so much.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd probably sleep better if you just accepted that everything anyone says here is just an opinion. Even the people who say it's a "fact" know it's an opinion. Just relax, look at pictures of watches, and don't worry so much.
Not worried about watches. I do worry about the broader social implications of the rhetorical tactics on display here. Just kind of sad...

Deeky

Reaction score
If two watches are the same (or very close price), and one has hand finishing and the other does not, the one with hand finishing is better value.

This is not subjective, and should be completely obvious. But then again, after the last few pages I wouldn't be surprised if someone now jumps out in favour of machine over hand finishing

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If two watches are the same (or very close price), and one has hand finishing and the other does not, the one with hand finishing is better value.

This is not subjective, and should be completely obvious. But then again, after the last few pages I wouldn't be surprised if someone now jumps out in favour of machine over hand finishing
Are both gold at the same price?

Deeky

Reaction score

(nk)
Are both gold at the same price?
Might be :)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.