• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can respect that, but I'd like to hear your reasoning. They often end up being my casual watch on an animal skin strap (no metal precious or otherwise). Not looking for a debate ... just why from your point of view.

I've always liked them because they are beautiful and sufficiently -- if not completely -- understated. They come off as under the radar in many ways.
I think I discussed before, but I view the Art Deco styling to be very specific. It tends to demand a dressier and more traditional overall aesthetic. In other words, while I’d have no issue wearing a Reverso with a polo shirt, I have trouble imagining it with anything more casual (like t-shirt and jeans).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes but to a far lesser extent. There were a lot of watch nerds drawn to the Nautilus due to the Genta connection. The aquanaut was universally disliked (with a few exceptions) until very, very recently.

When you see a Nautilus, the owner may be a huge watch nerd (pre 2015 owner), or a massive douche (post 2015 owner).
I don’t 100% agree. Yes, watch nerds have long acknowledged the importance of the model, but thinking back to Timezone days in the late 90’s and early 00’s, they also viewed it as an ugly, dated design and considered Genta more of a curious footnote than a celebrated designer. Similar story with the Royal Oak.

It wasn’t until after ~2015 that things shifted decisively the other way.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I discussed before, but I view the Art Deco styling to be very specific. It tends to demand a dressier and more traditional overall aesthetic. In other words, while I’d have no issue wearing a Reverso with a polo shirt, I have trouble imagining it with anything more casual (like t-shirt and jeans).
I get it. I must admit, a polo shirt is about as casual as I get (outside the house). Of course, I'm pushing "grandpa" status per another thread.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
genuinely curious - how many new watches do you purchase a year, and how many do you sell?
Honestly, it depends. News releases have a lot to do with purchase habits. I usually buy a watch every four months. Lately, I haven’t really adhered to that. I try never to sell anything unless and until I’ve had my fair share of time with a piece and I’m “over it.”

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, it depends. News releases have a lot to do with purchase habits. I usually buy a watch every four months. Lately, I haven’t really adhered to that. I try never to sell anything unless and until I’ve had my fair share of time with a piece and I’m “over it.”
A couple of times ... years later ... I've wondered "why the hell did I sell that?" Once I bought the same model again. Another time I bought a newer version of same.

officine

Reaction score
Yes but to a far lesser extent. There were a lot of watch nerds drawn to the Nautilus due to the Genta connection. The aquanaut was universally disliked (with a few exceptions) until very, very recently.

When you see a Nautilus, the owner may be a huge watch nerd (pre 2015 owner), or a massive douche (post 2015 owner).
Thank goodness I purchased mine in 2012 :D

Drek Galloche

Reaction score
I had an awesome afternoon looking at watches. Here are a few pieces that are something different to the usual discussions going on in here.
The blue dial on the overseas are amazing in person. So radiant. The chronograph is gorgeous IMO. I like the overseas perpetual on the gold bracelet, yes a bit blingy and the dials are a challenge to read but I can't help the feelings of lust. The perpetual chronograph is amazing .I was lucky to be able to handle them in person. View attachment 1627317View attachment 1627321
These two are my fav. of the lot.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of times ... years later ... I've wondered "why the hell did I sell that?" Once I bought the same model again. Another time I bought a newer version of same.
Exactly. I’ve sold several pieces over the years that I seriously regret selling. Unless there’s an overriding need for it, I won’t sell.

Reactions: RSS

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to capture the dial, but this thing is really cool. Here it is in different light setting and next to my PAM2392. I like having two odd, big watches in my otherwise modestly sized collection.
8EA8E7B9-6481-431B-AD71-1CE2ACCCA79A.jpeg

E7D3DFA7-01BF-4A2E-8890-B1A3F419207E.jpeg
D5279A33-CE3F-4FF3-92AB-81F09C02BB7C.jpeg

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that the current BP 43mm? Really striking in blue. Doesn't look massive by any stretch. I thought it would wear/appear larger on the wrist.
Indeed! Hot off the press. It’s wearable and beautiful.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.