• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See my previous comments. There is no list. Just money.
Maybe. I have a GMT incoming from an AD I’ve been dealing with for about three months - bought one watch. The AD “game” is more than money...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe. I have a GMT incoming from an AD I’ve been dealing with for about three months - bought one watch. The AD “game” is more than money...
Like I said—it can happen. But rarely. Vast majority of these watches are not going to people who simply put their name down.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Money certainly helps but you do have history with the AD since you bought one watch. If I tried to walk in with no history, I'd expect no traction.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said—it can happen. But rarely. Vast majority of these watches are not going to people who simply put their name down.
True. I text with my AD at least a few times a week, but mostly to just shoot the shit (we’re friends at this point, even though we haven’t known each other that long ...I know their hobbies, interests, etc. They know all about me in the same ways - why I’m into watches, etc...we trade watch articles and discuss various “trade talk” matters among other things...Basically just typical good relationship between people on two sides of a common interest...). Money is still a topic, but I’ve been fairly open about what I intend to spend year-to-year (we talk yearly “goals”...)

Last edited:

Drek Galloche

Reaction score
Have there been any historical precedents of consumers forced to buy shit they don't want in order to be rewarded with an opportunity to spend even more money on some other shit? I am afraid this is unique situation of consumptia hysterica.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have there been any historical precedents of consumers forced to buy shit they don't want in order to be rewarded with an opportunity to spend even more money on some other shit? I am afraid this is unique situation of consumptia hysterica.
Hermes Birkin and Kelly bags
New Ferrari cars

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Money certainly helps but you do have history with the AD since you bought one watch. If I tried to walk in with no history, I'd expect no traction.
Well at least I’m (allegedly) on a list somewhere even if being on said list is next to worthless. I called another dealer around the same time and was told by some snooty voiced woman that they wouldn’t even consider selling a Pepsi to someone who wasn’t an established customer. I suppose there’s some merit in their honesty!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been on the “list” for a Hermes Kelly for six years. Last time I dropped by, they suggested building a “relationship” by showing “commitment” to the brand through purchases of handbags already in stock.

There is no list.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The contemporary art market at the high end works like this, only even worse. Money alone is not enough to buy access, because gallerists want to place works of hot artists with the "right" collectors. Fortunately, I will never have enough money for this to be an issue.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to like every Omega that isn't a Speedmaster iteration but am struggling..........who else feels the same?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well at least I’m (allegedly) on a list somewhere even if being on said list is next to worthless. I called another dealer around the same time and was told by some snooty voiced woman that they wouldn’t even consider selling a Pepsi to someone who wasn’t an established customer. I suppose there’s some merit in their honesty!
Again, it’s not that it literally never happens. It’s just that it almost certainly never will. Unless you grease the wheels with spending and negotiation.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I want to like every Omega that isn't a Speedmaster iteration but am struggling..........who else feels the same?
It’s the only Omega I like. The rest smack of 90’s mall watch.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, it’s not that it literally never happens. It’s just that is almost certainly never will. Unless you grease the wheels with spending and negotiation.
Yeah like I said I’m resigned to the situation and not getting anxious about it. Maybe I walk into the shop one day and he just needs to meet his monthly quota that day. Or maybe there’s some sort of unforeseen sea change in the watch world. Or maybe Rolex will stop fucking about and increase production. I would guess if it’s all about them making money they would make more money if they sold more watches rather than squeezing off production to falsely create demand but this has been discussed on here ad nauseum and I’m still not clear on their motives.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, it’s not that it literally never happens. It’s just that it almost certainly never will. Unless you grease the wheels with spending and negotiation.
I think location plays into it as well major city/small AD. Also just being in general a good dude and not some giant douche.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.