• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

dan'l

Reaction score
@9thsymph, I went through a similar process several years ago when I really wanted a solid gold watch on a bracelet. I was focused on the GMT Master II, but eventually went with a 36mm Day-Date. Although the GMT is super cool, I felt at the time it was a bit too chunky, especially in the maxi case. The DD in the Oyster case is slimmer and doesn‘t seem as much in-your-face. With that said, I find I don‘t wear the DD that much and am back to searching for something different and sportier. But as Foo pointed out, there are not that many options for gold watches on a bracelet.

I am a fan of the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo:

B33CBB39-8ECC-41B8-AB08-D738270FFBF2.jpeg

It has some heft to it compared to the Ti model, but it‘s still lighter than other gold watches. I just wonder how the design will age.

chocomallo

Reaction score
@9thsymph, I went through a similar process several years ago when I really wanted a solid gold watch on a bracelet. I was focused on the GMT Master II, but eventually went with a 36mm Day-Date. Although the GMT is super cool, I felt at the time it was a bit too chunky, especially in the maxi case. The DD in the Oyster case is slimmer and doesn‘t seem as much in-your-face. With that said, I find I don‘t wear the DD that much and am back to searching for something different and sportier. But as Foo pointed out, there are not that many options for gold watches on a bracelet.

View attachment 1612112

It has some heft to it compared to the Ti model, but it‘s still lighter than other gold watches. I just wonder how the design will age.
That looks really good on you and fits your wrist well. I really like the rose gold Octo. I own the titanium. Love it. I think the design will age well. I think there are two hang ups for most buyers. First, it is really different so even though people "like" it, they won't buy it (it is often described as too wide and thin, but I think that is for lack of a better description that it is out there and unfamiliar a la Rolex or Omega). Second, Bulgari has made too many versions too fast, so people won't buy it. Bulgari already ruined the brand equity of a fantastic design trying to capitalize on it too quickly.

Plus 9thsymph has smallish wrists from what I recall him posting, so the Octo is probably out of the question for him.

But one watch not mentioned that is worth considering is the gold Alpine Eagle. It is really sharp in person and has a nicely integrated bracelet. For the all gold look 9thsymph is looking for, it might fit the bill. As I recall it comes in 36mm and 41mm. So size shouldn't be an issue.

Not sure I agree with what Foo was saying a few posts back about the Tank on a bracelet or other full gold watches. I feel like my Tank on teardrop bracelet has exactly the "fuck you" factor he said it would not have. It is so shiny that only someone who does not care or is a dandy would every think to wear. I think the same would apply to the Omega Constellation that 9thsymph posted that started this conversation. If anything, a full gold Rolex or Royal Oak or Nautilus at this point is the exact opposite of a "fuck you." Those watches don't scream "fuck you" to me, but rather "look at me," unless it is something like Dino's full gold Daytona from when that attitude was really true.

chocomallo

Reaction score
2 things.
Firstly that GMT is lovely, secondly fuck standing on the edge of a balcony that high.
Haha. Thanks. But it is not nearly so dangerous. There is a railing just outside the picture so it is a bit deceiving. Nothing like being the first jumper on a C-130. Now that is some excitement. Not that I’ve ever done that, but I imagine it must be awesome. I ride the elevator down from most heights.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't stop myself from pointing out that it's Bulgari, not Bvlgari. Though one could argue that the latter spelling is more descriptive.

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1612112

I mentioned it a little while ago, but I love that watch. Excited to try it out at some point.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2 things.
Firstly that GMT is lovely, secondly fuck standing on the edge of a balcony that high.
I am deathly afraid of heights. My legs get wobbly when I walk a few feet away from the edge of a bridge near my house even though the edge has high guardrails that make it impossible to fall off. Interestingly, this bodily reaction only occurs when one is standing on something affixed to the ground. It does not happen, for example, when one is in a hot-air balloon.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For just $10,000 more than the gold AP you could be the only only guy on your block with one of these.
1621430447320.png

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like you I am looking for a (full?) gold watch. First I wanted a day date too, but I think I will be bored after a while. So now I am torn between these two daytonas:

View attachment 1611959View attachment 1611960

I like both equally; the sportiness of the oysterflex and ceramic bezel, but also the luxurious look of the full gold bezel and bracelet.

Help me out guys, convince me why one would be "better" than the other. You decide the context.
The answer is really quite simple. This watch is one should get on a matching gold bracelet. It was how Daytonas were intended as early as when they were first released in the 1960s. The bracelet looks fantastic, and if you ever want to take the gold Oyster bracelet off, you can always get various calf, exotic skin, or aftermarket rubber straps for it. If you get the Daytona with Oysterflex rubber bracelet, you can NEVER add a bracelet to it at a later date. The center piece between the lugs, is permanent and prevents one from attaching a gold Oyster bracelet to it at a later date.

I've owned various Daytonas and still have a few, including an all gold Daytona. Around 1999 I bought a white gold Daytona on a leather strap ref 16519, and aside from it seeming too much like the steel model, but having a lot more money tied up in it, the inability to add a white gold Oyster bracelet to it at a later time really detracted from its appeal and how much I wore it. So in the end I let it go. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:

thuhoan

Reaction score
The answer is really quite simple. This watch is one should get on a matching gold bracelet. It was how Daytonas were intended as early as when they were first released in the 1960s. The bracelet looks fantastic, and if you ever want to take the gold Oyster bracelet off, you can always get various calf, exotic skin, or aftermarket rubber straps for it. If you get the Daytona with Oysterflex rubber bracelet, you can NEVER add a bracelet to it at a later date. The center piece between the lugs, is permanent and prevents one from attaching a gold Oyster bracelet to it at a later date.

I've owned various Daytonas and still have a few, including an all gold Daytona. Around 1999 I bought a white gold Daytona on a leather strap ref 16519, and aside from it seeming too much like the steel model, but having a lot more money tied up in it, the inability to add a white gold Oyster bracelet to it at a later time really detracted from its appeal and how much I wore it. So in the end I let it go. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.
Outstanding answer. It has been decided! Full gold it is. Thanks a lot!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.