• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the full gold, a contrast shot:

4338AF1C-119D-46B9-B03F-C3A1AEFE8F1D.jpeg

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 things.
Firstly that GMT is lovely, secondly **** standing on the edge of a balcony that high.

Haha. Thanks. But it is not nearly so dangerous. There is a railing just outside the picture so it is a bit deceiving. Nothing like being the first jumper on a C-130. Now that is some excitement. Not that I’ve ever done that, but I imagine it must be awesome. I ride the elevator down from most heights.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't stop myself from pointing out that it's Bulgari, not Bvlgari. Though one could argue that the latter spelling is more descriptive.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@9thsymph, I went through a similar process several years ago when I really wanted a solid gold watch on a bracelet. I was focused on the GMT Master II, but eventually went with a 36mm Day-Date. Although the GMT is super cool, I felt at the time it was a bit too chunky, especially in the maxi case. The DD in the Oyster case is slimmer and doesn‘t seem as much in-your-face. With that said, I find I don‘t wear the DD that much and am back to searching for something different and sportier. But as Foo pointed out, there are not that many options for gold watches on a bracelet.

I am a fan of the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo:

View attachment 1612112

It has some heft to it compared to the Ti model, but it‘s still lighter than other gold watches. I just wonder how the design will age.

I mentioned it a little while ago, but I love that watch. Excited to try it out at some point.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 things.
Firstly that GMT is lovely, secondly **** standing on the edge of a balcony that high.
I am deathly afraid of heights. My legs get wobbly when I walk a few feet away from the edge of a bridge near my house even though the edge has high guardrails that make it impossible to fall off. Interestingly, this bodily reaction only occurs when one is standing on something affixed to the ground. It does not happen, for example, when one is in a hot-air balloon.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For just $10,000 more than the gold AP you could be the only only guy on your block with one of these.
1621430447320.png

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like you I am looking for a (full?) gold watch. First I wanted a day date too, but I think I will be bored after a while. So now I am torn between these two daytonas:

View attachment 1611959 View attachment 1611960

I like both equally; the sportiness of the oysterflex and ceramic bezel, but also the luxurious look of the full gold bezel and bracelet.

Help me out guys, convince me why one would be "better" than the other. You decide the context.

The answer is really quite simple. This watch is one should get on a matching gold bracelet. It was how Daytonas were intended as early as when they were first released in the 1960s. The bracelet looks fantastic, and if you ever want to take the gold Oyster bracelet off, you can always get various calf, exotic skin, or aftermarket rubber straps for it. If you get the Daytona with Oysterflex rubber bracelet, you can NEVER add a bracelet to it at a later date. The center piece between the lugs, is permanent and prevents one from attaching a gold Oyster bracelet to it at a later date.

I've owned various Daytonas and still have a few, including an all gold Daytona. Around 1999 I bought a white gold Daytona on a leather strap ref 16519, and aside from it seeming too much like the steel model, but having a lot more money tied up in it, the inability to add a white gold Oyster bracelet to it at a later time really detracted from its appeal and how much I wore it. So in the end I let it go. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:

thuhoan

Reaction score
The answer is really quite simple. This watch is one should get on a matching gold bracelet. It was how Daytonas were intended as early as when they were first released in the 1960s. The bracelet looks fantastic, and if you ever want to take the gold Oyster bracelet off, you can always get various calf, exotic skin, or aftermarket rubber straps for it. If you get the Daytona with Oysterflex rubber bracelet, you can NEVER add a bracelet to it at a later date. The center piece between the lugs, is permanent and prevents one from attaching a gold Oyster bracelet to it at a later date.

I've owned various Daytonas and still have a few, including an all gold Daytona. Around 1999 I bought a white gold Daytona on a leather strap ref 16519, and aside from it seeming too much like the steel model, but having a lot more money tied up in it, the inability to add a white gold Oyster bracelet to it at a later time really detracted from its appeal and how much I wore it. So in the end I let it go. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Outstanding answer. It has been decided! Full gold it is. Thanks a lot!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outstanding answer. It has been decided! Full gold it is. Thanks a lot!

You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help you with your decision. Don't forget to post a wrist shot here once you get it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads