• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on now. Finance guys are no worse dressed than any other job or profession.

If you do want to rely on stereotypes or cliches: jeezus, give me bankers over lawyers any day. Patagonia vests are a million times better than box-cut Jos A. Bank suits worn with short black socks and discount Allen Edmonds.

What about IT and engineering folks? Dear lord.

Come to think of it: is there any profession that dresses particularly well? I’m stumped.

I was really referring to “finance bros” as the term is commonly used, rather than anyone who works in finance. It’s not just the fact that they dress badly but that it’s combined with obnoxious behaviour, arrogance, megalomania and often a pathological need to constantly signal their wealth.

My vote for best dressed profession would probably be architects. Not that they are all well dressed but they have the best batting average in my observed experience.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what about the fact that the DD is actually very beautiful? Is that not reason enough?

Oh wait.....I need to worry if others feel the same or maybe don't??

WTF :confused:

I’m surprised this needs to be explained, but when you walk into an art gallery do you think it’s enough to walk from painting to painting and say to yourself “this painting looks nice” and “that painting doesn’t look nice” without any further thought?

The surface level beauty of a thing is only one small component of what makes it interesting.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in Electric Kool-Aid wolfe was already doing the white suit thing, he explains a bit of how on the east coast everyone thought he was kind of a bohemian dude for his clothes.

and then he meets the merry pranksters and realizes on the west coast he's just another square

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m surprised this needs to be explained, but when you walk into an art gallery do you think it’s enough to walk from painting to painting and say to yourself “this painting looks nice” and “that painting doesn’t look nice” without any further thought?

The surface level beauty of a thing is only one small component of what makes it interesting.
This is basically what happens when I go to an art museum to look at paintings.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't follow your example, but to be clear and remain on-topic, we're talking about watches. You would be hard pressed to find a person into watches (and perhaps not) who does not like the looks of the DD.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't follow your example, but to be clear and remain on-topic, we're talking about watches. You would be hard pressed to find a person into watches (and perhaps not) who does not like the looks of the DD.

It was an analogy that was intended to help illustrate the point that things have meaning and purpose beyond their surface level prettiness. The point applies to watches in exactly the same way.

thuhoan

Reaction score
Still in pursuit of a full gold piece. After trying a few day dates I'm starting to feel they might be too bold (as an identifiable icon) for my taste. I had the rose gold aqua terra on my radar as well, but now I've stumbled upon this 38mm constellation. What do you folks think of this guy (assuming too that I could get it at a pretty deep discount...):

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/...ion-co-axial-chronometer-38-mm-12350382113001

Like you I am looking for a (full?) gold watch. First I wanted a day date too, but I think I will be bored after a while. So now I am torn between these two daytonas:

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-19 at 01.04.55 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-19 at 01.04.55.jpeg

I like both equally; the sportiness of the oysterflex and ceramic bezel, but also the luxurious look of the full gold bezel and bracelet.

Help me out guys, convince me why one would be "better" than the other. You decide the context.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like you I am looking for a (full?) gold watch. First I wanted a day date too, but I think I will be bored after a while. So now I am torn between these two daytonas:

View attachment 1611959 View attachment 1611960

I like both equally; the sportiness of the oysterflex and ceramic bezel, but also the luxurious look of the full gold bezel and bracelet.

Help me out guys, convince me why one would be "better" than the other. You decide the context.
I prefer the oysterflex Daytona.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was really referring to “finance bros” as the term is commonly used, rather than anyone who works in finance. It’s not just the fact that they dress badly but that it’s combined with obnoxious behaviour, arrogance, megalomania and often a pathological need to constantly signal their wealth.

My vote for best dressed profession would probably be architects. Not that they are all well dressed but they have the best batting average in my observed experience.
Black roll neck jumpers and a Saab. It’s definitely a look.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
motation, sure. but indeed helprin (and his entire office) get naked in iirc 'rsvp cycles' and 'taking part'

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads