• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bro.....$12K is the most I'd pay for that watch so I'm not sure what target price you have in mind. As stated by others, buy what you like and enjoy it. Although, it seems like you are looking to justify the purchase by gaining consensus from other members here - also a bad reason to but a watch (expensive or otherwise).

good luck!

Honestly not looking for consensus (though I believe that's what has been delivered) to justify anything. Was genuinely curious what people knew about the watch in addition to the general-impression responses...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I put in an order for a Loden green alligator strap with off-white hand stitching from David Lane to go on my Calatrava. Psyched!

10DFEE89-7571-400D-A10B-1CA1780E80FE.jpeg

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not a good looking watch ... way too much ornamentation and flim-flam. But obviously, it attracted you for some reason. Why?

I think it might have been said already, but the universe of prime, all-gold (case + bracelet) watches is very small. Really, it comes down to a Rolex, Royal Oak, or Nautilus. These are watches that were designed solely to be worn on a bracelet and where the bracelet is integral to the overall design. Most other gold watches were primarily designed to be worn on a strap—a bracelet tends to look like an afterthought.

Also, part of the appeal of an all-gold watch is the “**** you” factor. How can it not be? You need to start with a sportier, chunkier base model to make this work. A gold Calatrava or Tank LC on a gold rice bead bracelet is the exact opposite of what I’d aim for.

1. " it attracted you for some reason. Why?"
The size, dial, integrated bracelet (but I have never seen in personal) and anonymity.

2. "Rolex, Royal Oak, or Nautilus."
Right. I guess I'm trying to test this thesis, but I think you are probably correct.

3. "How can it not be?"
I mainly want gold for the color variety (for how it will function as an accessory), but agree that I'm in a sort of no-man's land in terms of what I'm trying to "say" with the full gold. I do need to work this aspect out...

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly not looking for consensus (though I believe that's what has been delivered) to justify anything. Was genuinely curious what people knew about the watch in addition to the general-impression responses...
your posts don't come across this way, FYI.

Shoulda bought the gold DD and be done with it.......

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1. " it attracted you for some reason. Why?"
The size, dial and integrated bracelet (but I have never seen in personal) and anonymity.

2. "Rolex, Royal Oak, or Nautilus."
Right. I guess I'm trying to test this thesis, but I think you are probably correct.

3. "How can it not be?"
I mainly want gold for the color variety (for how it will function as an accessory), but agree that I'm in a sort of no-man's land in terms of what I'm trying to "say" with the full gold. I do need to work this aspect out...

If one cares about about anonymity, one would be wise to avoid wearing an all-gold watch. Personally, I could not care less about anonymity insofar as aesthetics go, but I also drive a neon blue car so take that as you will.

As for functioning as an accessory—keep in mind that an all-gold watch will always be loud and so the design should embrace this fact, not strain in the opposite direction. Forget what it “says”. You are better off not getting mired in such social tedium. Just try to maintain a coherent concept.

That last part is what will likely pull you back to the Day-Date. If is very arguably the most iconic and essential all-gold watch in existence. The genre wouldn’t even exist without it. It is awesome. Don’t hold its awesomeness against it.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All gold Cartier Santos looks much better than the all gold Constellation. I'd get that over the Omega Constellation.

I just don't think the Constellations look good in all gold. They look much better in two tone.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If one cares about about anonymity, one would be wise to avoid wearing an all-gold watch. Personally, I could not care less about anonymity insofar as aesthetics go, but I also drive a neon turquoise car so take that as you will.

As for functioning as an accessory—keep in mind that an all-gold watch will always be loud and so the design should embrace this fact, not strain in the opposite direction. Forget what it “says”. You are better off not getting mired in such social tedium. Just try to maintain a coherent concept.

This is definitely the contradiction I'm trying to work out. I guess, in my mind, the "pure" aesthetics might become apparent [to others...I feel I'm able to mute my relationships to brands rather flexibly] if the watch is decoupled from salient branding. Unfortunately, the brand-stigmatized watches just have the best designs by a long shot...I know this trip ends with a DD or a rose gold GMT, but I'm fighting that impulse for some reason...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is definitely the contradiction I'm trying to work out. I guess, in my mind, the "pure" aesthetics might become apparent [to others...I feel I'm able to mute my relationships to brands rather flexibly] if the watch is decoupled from salient branding. Unfortunately, the brand-stigmatized watches just have the best designs by a long shot...I know this trip ends with a DD or a rose gold GMT, but I'm fighting that impulse for some reason...

Again, who cares about “brand stigma”? Honestly, the sort of people who would hold it against me for wearing a Day-Date or Royal Oak are also the sort of people I’d like to avoid. Perfect. Flash my watch, clear the room of social irritants.

If you already have conviction in what the “best designs” are and can afford them, live your life the way you want and buy one. Life is too short to spend $30K+ on a watch for the sake of not offending other people whose opinions you shouldn’t give a flying **** about in the first place.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, who cares about “brand stigma”? Honestly, the sort of people who would hold it against me for wearing a Day-Date or Royal Oak are also the sort of people I’d like to avoid. Perfect. Flash my watch, clear the room of social irritants.

If you already have conviction in what the “best designs” are and can afford them, live your life the way you want and buy one. Life is too short to spend $30K+ on a watch for the sake of not offending other people whose opinions shouldn’t give a flying **** about in the first place.

I understand. It's odd, though...It's not so much that I care about what people think of me (I think I'm a confident fellow), but I am (for better or worse) sensitive to how I might make others feel uncomfortable with my appearance (to a degree). I know this will be a wildly unpopular opinion, but It's hard for me to just say "*******...I love this thing...I'm going for it" if I think it will generate something other than directed-at-me negativity ...Again...I think you've sort of hit at exactly what my hang up is...just need to ruminate more...

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, the newest member of Zenith's Revival series is the A3817. I dearly love the A385 because I own the vintage version, but I think the A3817 is the one to get if you're interested in this line.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, the newest member of Zenith's Revival series is the A3817. I dearly love the A385 because I own the vintage version, but I think the A3817 is the one to get if you're interested in this line.
Idk i really like the ladder bracelets that come with the 384 and 385. Plus no overlapping sub dials

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charming and helpful as always...

You asked for it. I was plenty nice in my original post on the subject and gave you a valid answer (i.e., the only thing that matters is whether or not you like the watch), and you came back with a snotty remark about the purpose of a watch thread.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand. It's odd, though...It's not so much that I care about what people think of me (I think I'm a confident fellow), but I am (for better or worse) sensitive to how I might make others feel uncomfortable with my appearance (to a degree). I know this will be a wildly unpopular opinion, but It's hard for me to just say "*******...I love this thing...I'm going for it" if I think it will generate a less directed-at-me type of negatively...Again...I think you've sort of hit at exactly what my hang up is...just need to ruminate more...

For me, the only time I wouldn't wear a gold watch on a bracelet, might be a jury trial. You don't want your appearance, to have a negative impact on a juror's ability to connect with you and your client. However, that can even happen with clothing or shoes. I recall years ago a prospective client looking at my suit and saying, "Judging by that suit, I'm not sure I can afford your services."

Other than that, if friends are going to have negative feelings because I am wearing a gold watch, they probably need psychiatric help to deal with their real issues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads