• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. The dial color is very rich and its a classic look for Day-Dates of the 1970s and 80s. As @mak1277 suggested, I'd probably try to find one with a "Bark" finished bracelet and bezel. If these are going for less than the ones with onyx, lapis, tiger's eye etc, then it could be a real bargain.
I haven't found the bark/wood combo. The watch in the photo I posted is in the neighborhood of 15k (I think...). Need to see the condition in person of course, but...

pasadena man

Reaction score
What do you folks think of vintage DD - particularly this 18038 with wood dial (there just aren’t any current 36 chocolate dials without diamonds...in looking for alternatives, the wood dial iterations caught my attention...thoughts?):

View attachment 1605724
I think it is a wonderful watch. I don’t think you would lose money if it turned out to be a “phase” watch.

I remember having a boss’s boss who had the bark bracelet. I looked forward to meetings with him to watch the light’s play on the bracelet.

An experienced watch reviewer did a review on the DD 36 and DD 41. He said that more people noticed the DD 36 than any other watch he’d ever worn. In contrast, they didn’t pay much attention to the larger 41 mm because they assumed it was a fake.

Re: wood dials, I would reference my perception of wood finishes on fountain pens. In theory they should be great: each unique, textured, warm feel, rich color. In practice, for most brands they do not seem to be highly valued.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it’s interesting, though, because Stella dials go for way above current msrp, while the wood dials generally go for way less, which has made me question if there is something about those dials that I need to consider (aside from resale - I couldn’t care less about resale...)
Probably the cost of the termite bond.

Drek Galloche

Reaction score
it’s interesting, though, because Stella dials go for way above current msrp, while the wood dials generally go for way less, which has made me question if there is something about those dials that I need to consider (aside from resale - I couldn’t care less about resale...)
One of my fav. rolex dials. Unfortunately there are too many wooden dials sold on Ebay which makes me think there is a flourishing dial swap industry. How one would know if the dial is original?

Last edited:

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Less than a week old and already taking his first flight.
20210507_081708.jpg

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the colored dial thing is sort of the flavor of the month, but there’s something really appealing about this one. At least it’s not green.

Is this the same one that was done in collaboration with Lewis Hamilton?
I don't believe so. I think this is the one.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking forward to the simplicity -- sans complications -- of summer with a bit of blue from Jean Rousseau.
JLC_Steel_UltraThin_02.jpg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.