• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...but prices are always on the high side when I visit.
If you are truly in the market and willing to plunk down the cash ... the price can get better.

Some years back I was in Boston and shared with them I was looking for a particular Breguet but was having a hard time finding it. I got a call a few weeks later. They'd found it. I was willing to pay a premium for that kind of service.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a tendency to put things away and forget about them. Just found this one that I'd put away -- shortly after I got it -- in the bottom drawer of a watch box.

I was always a fan of this piece. Given my age, I guess I'd better start wearing it.View attachment 1604520
I have always really loved this watch for some reason. Back in 2016, I bid on an 18k gold version in a Sotheby's auction to commemorate my daughter's birth. Since the auction was overseas, I placed a standing high bid and let it ride. The watch sold for $150 over my max bid, which irked me, but you never know what it would have gone for if I had raised my bid. As it happens, our house was burgled a few months later and all my watches were stolen, so I would have lost it anyway.

These days, the prices of the steel ones are out of range for me with our house build ongoing, and a gold one seems laughable. I'm glad you shared yours as its always nice seeing them in the "wild". I hope you get it back in rotation and enjoy it as its too nice a piece to leave in the watch box!

Reactions: RSS

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are truly in the market and willing to plunk down the cash ... the price can get better.

Some years back I was in Boston and shared with them I was looking for a particular Breguet but was having a hard time finding it. I got a call a few weeks later. They'd found it. I was willing to pay a premium for that kind of service.
They are nice people, and yes they will negotiate. I've sold them one or two watches in the past. Nothing wrong with charging top dollar if the condition justifies it. However, their definition of "Like new" and my definition of "Like new" are drastically different ...hence I think their prices are on the high side.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know DeBeer and Hadley-Roma make very flat alligator or croco straps, probably at least several others, maybe check RIOS etc.

At much higher price point, the ABP Paris "Milano" is very flat.

I think that all non-custom straps have at least some interlining.
What I was hoping to find is something like this:

1620244566120.png

- in what I assume is a two piece construction. With classic tone-on-tone stitching like in the photo. But you may be right that no one offers this type as a ready made strap, leaving custom as the only way.

If anyone do come across something like this, please share.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like that watch a lot, and the date doesn't bother me. I'd be curious to see how the bracelet looks and feels in person.
I'm commemorating this post. I think it may be the first time you and I have agreed about a watch's desirability. :fistbump:

I'm still going to work on you about the GO Pano. :crackup:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I was hoping to find is something like this:

View attachment 1605175

- in what I assume is a two piece construction. With classic tone-on-tone stitching like in the photo. But you may be right that no one offers this type as a ready made strap, leaving custom as the only way.

If anyone do come across something like this, please share.
I know the author and he is a big fan of Jean Rousseau straps. So it is possible that he got it there, if that is his own watch.

I'm commemorating this post. I think it may be the first time you and I have agreed about a watch's desirability. :fistbump:

I'm still going to work on you about the GO Pano. :crackup:
:rotflmao: Cheers to us for finally being in agreement on a watch! :cheers:

As for changing my opinion on the GO Pano, you might have better luck getting blood from a stone, but I wish you all the best on that arduous task my friend!

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the author and he is a big fan of Jean Rousseau straps. So it is possible that he got it there, if that is his own watch.
Thanks. JR was one of the sites I already checked; apparently their ready made gator straps only comes in two different thickness : 3.5mm or 5.0mm, both lined.

It seems a bit strange that unpadded gators (with traditional stitching) only are possible as a bespoke option (from this or any other makers), but so far it looks like it is.

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friend of my wife’s from school married a charismatic wannabe rockstar. His glamorous career never really took off, but her boring one did and she ended up as a senior partner in a very white shoe national law firm, while he gave guitar lessons to teenagers. Long story short, he found a 20-something girlfriend, gave her the shove and she had to write him an eight figure check that he’s using to open a bar/club where she presumes he will also fuck all the waitresses.

I like to occasionally mention this to my Mrs. when she nags me about taking laundry out of the dryer to wear and not folding the rest …

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friend of my wife’s from school married a charismatic wannabe rockstar. His glamorous career never really took off, but her boring one did and she ended up as a senior partner in a very white shoe national law firm, while he gave guitar lessons to teenagers. Long story short, he found a 20-something girlfriend, gave her the shove and she had to write him an eight figure check that he’s using to open a bar/club where she presumes he will also fuck all the waitresses.

I like to occasionally mention this to my Mrs. when she nags me about taking laundry out of the dryer to wear and not folding the rest …
He’s living the dream, no?

😂

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
l
Thanks. JR was one of the sites I already checked; apparently their ready made gator straps only comes in two different thickness : 3.5mm or 5.0mm, both lined.

It seems a bit strange that unpadded gators (with traditional stitching) only are possible as a bespoke option (from this or any other makers), but so far it looks like it is.
Virtually all OEM straps are padded these days. For whatever reason, it’s come to be what people expect. Also, I suspect unlined straps made with thicker hides are simply costlier. Even the tippy-top watch brands don’t spec the highest end options from strap makers, so clearly they believe it is an area they can slip by with lower quality.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So... she's single?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.