• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

pasadena man

Reaction score
Zenith does the 4:30 date window very well with its El Primero models.

Regarding the polarizing Date/No Date debate, my preference is "Sometimes." I like a date window for watches I might be wearing to work for several days in a row, as I often forget the date. For watches I primarily wear on the weekends, I don't need to know the date and prefer the cleaner no-date look.
Agree on "Sometimes". As The White Duke does, I like a tasteful 6:00 placement. Unfortunately I can't read the tasteful ones.

Believe I read somewhere that Rolex put the date at 3:00 so that it could be read without pulling one's sleeve back.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was my first adult watch. A gift from parents. it’s beat to shit because what dumb kid knows how to take care of a watch - but I still wear it regularly

View attachment 1603980
My wife has a very similar watch that she wears nearly every single day. She wears it for everything--riding her horse, going to the beach, etc.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big date is most distracting and hyperbolic date.

It is the watch dial date equivalent of riding some loud huge Harley Hog up the side streets of some tiny Tuscan hill town, when a Vespa or even an Ape is much better suited to the terrain.
:wink:
I think it really depends on the watch. There are a few like the Lange 1 and its variations, where it just looks appropriate and it is part of the watch's DNA. But it seemed like after Lange and JLC started using it, several other brands jumped on the bandwagon making watches with this new tacked on complication, simply to be able to say... "We have one too...look at us!."

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And a lot of the other big dates are superior to JLC/Lange. :teach: (It's actually JLC's big date that Lange is using.)

mebiuspower

Reaction score
I just can't get over the idea that it's a budget Lange though. I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy the GO big dates.
There are other GO big date models that are not the Pano series aka Lange 1 copy...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Threads of Apollo Leather Jackets: Which 2-tone colourway do you like the best?

• Blue

• Red

• Gold

• All of the Above

• None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.