• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

chocomallo

Reaction score
Chopard makes busy dials that do not look like a daytona mess. Also, thank god for no crown guards.
Yes! The Mille Miglia dial is busy in a way that works. Breguet is also a master of busy dials that still look good. It is an art that Patek sucks at. For example, Patek calendar complications with Breguet numerals almost always look worse than the baton dial versions.

dan'l

Reaction score
Edit: I would add Parmigiani. Really nice watches up close. And quite stylish.
Speaking of Parmigiani, I read that the Octo designer at Bvlgari jumped ship and moved to Parmigiani. Looking forward to what he comes up with there.

WiseMenOfGotham

Reaction score
I had no idea you were present on this website Vijo. It is always a pleasure speaking/corresponding with you. I just want to say 'Thank you' for your past advice and help again, here.👍
Appreciate the kind words, thank you! I’m not active on forums anymore, but this particular one has always been one of my favorites 😀

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired by @TheFoo 's post a while back, I snagged my very first 'real' watch (right) from my old room while visiting my parents recently. I got this probably somewhere in 97-99 and wore it daily up until I graduated college. Didn't have the foresight to save any box or paper (can't even remember if it came with anything of note to be honest. Unfortunately, it has kicked the bucket so I ordered a replacement one off of ebay (left).

Its interesting to see some of the slight changes in case size and branding. Going to throw it on a fun NATO strap for my summertime beater

IMG_1821.jpg
IMG_1822.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really wish Chopard would leave the date off the Mille Miglia. It‘s the only thing detracting from an otherwise nice watch. Same goes for AP and the RO chronograph. Great watch, but I dislike date windows in general and even more so when at the 4:30 mark.
Agree with this.
Date windows at 4.30 always look wrong to me.
The Blanc Pain Fifty Fathoms has a very sparse dial but they still put it there and it looks all wrong.
The Alpine Eagle even seems to have theirs misaligned.
On a chrono it always seems to look forced.
If a chrono must have a date window the best place is within the 6:00 dial like on my Heuer Autavia.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a chrono must have a date window the best place is within the 6:00 dial like on my Heuer Autavia.
Sorry, I guess we hall have different preferences when it comes to a date on a chronograph...I prefer none...butI can live with it at 4:30. I really dislike it at 6 o'clock.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I guess we hall have different preferences when it comes to a date on a chronograph...I prefer none...butI can live with it at 4:30. I really dislike it at 6 o'clock.
Oh sure it’s all about opinions! Just mine is right!!

When they did the voting contest for the Autavia some people lost their shit when pics of the prototype were released with a date window, as the original on which it was based didn’t have one. I don’t mind it and it’s very discreet within the running seconds of the six o’ clock subdial which to me looks much less obtrusive than wedging one in at 4.30.
Problem is my close-up vision is not what it was (“Blind? Don’t be ridiculous! I can see ... that pin - over there!”😎😀) so it’s hard for me to read the date anyway!
They came up with a bicompax Heuer Autavia a couple of years later which has more room for a more readable date window and I’ve been tempted to try and pull off a swap but haven’t done anything about it yet. The new ones don’t come with the ‘grains of rice’ bracelet mine has which is a shame.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Zenith does the 4:30 date window very well with its El Primero models.

Regarding the polarizing Date/No Date debate, my preference is "Sometimes." I like a date window for watches I might be wearing to work for several days in a row, as I often forget the date. For watches I primarily wear on the weekends, I don't need to know the date and prefer the cleaner no-date look.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the store while we were making our purchases I was fortunate to see up close a Ressence type 3 oil filled watch. While I will not be buying one at a little over 40k, this was a very cool looking watch especially in black when the dial turns.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy