1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. haTTer

haTTer Senior member

Ill be there too next week staying at Rosewood

2. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

You'll just miss Salon QP - SalonQP 2016 will see one of Europe’s best watch exhibition return to the Saatchi Gallery from 3rd – 5th November 2016

3. cchen

cchen Senior member

I'll be there on Saturday if anyone's going. Got tix to the vintage collectors talk and the Kari Voutilainen panel. SF meetup?

4. wurger

wurger Senior member

My mate from Tianjin Seagull got me this China Made tourbillon watch 818.921. Arrived in the post today.

Overall, very happy with the watch, the carousel tourbillon is very interesting to stare at, I think I spent 1/4 of my day distracted...

Time keeping is good up to now, but I only had it for 12 hours, so should be within +- 10 sec a day. The dial and 25 jewel movement are both finished nicely. I really like the blue on silver look.

Now to the 2 small things that bug me:

1. I have to use a bit of force to to close the deployant buckle.

2. while the outside of the case lugs are beveled nicely, the inside of the lugs where they meet the case is not perfect, there are a slight dimple on the edges on 2 of them. Look carefully on the inside of top left and bottom right lugs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

Interesting share. I've often wondered what the more complicated Sea-Gull stuff is like. It looks pretty great, but I think you hit on the main concern for the buyer: how well can it be made for the price (is it just the angle, or is the 9 o'clock marker not straight)?

Please keep sharing how you get on with it. I really like the concept and the look.

2 people like this.
  6. wurger

wurger Senior member

the markers are all correct, so it's just the photo angle.

Chinese watchmakers are well known for cramping useless complications onto their dials, another variant of this watch has a 24hr display with day and night indicator on top of the 2 complications on this watch, which made the dial so cramped that the sub dials overlap each other.

For me, the power reserve is very useful as it's a manual, and I use the date display everyday for dating contracts.

The rrp of this watch is 40,000 RMB from boutiques, which no one will pay that price for, it's quite easy to get big discounts in China. I paid 10,500 RMB for this, shipped direct from the factory, and there is still margin in it for the factory. This puts a good perspective on margins in the luxury industry, even after the staff, marketing, rent, and utilities.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    2 people like this.
  7. atia2

atia2 Senior member

The marker angles look a little off because the axel of the hands is not in the centre of the dial.

8. mimo

mimo Senior member

I meant the 9 ("IX") looks twisted on its own axis, slightly clockwise, relative to the big dot hour marker. But as it's three dimensional, reflective and phone pics tend to distort perspective, I'll take Wurger's word that it's not!

9. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Maybe just a top down shot to quell the perspective distortion.
    @wurger

10. mimo

mimo Senior member

So BK won't take his word for it!

I just realised why I liked the overall look of it: it's Glashuette-Chinese! The hands and markers are Langematik Perpetual, and the back of the case is Datograph, the stripes on the dial are GO Panomatic Inverse? Anyway, yeah. That's a very cool and interesting watch for a grand and a bit!

1 person likes this.
  11. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I totally get the perspective argument.
    Forgive my utter lack of proper terminology here, but the perspective of the photo gives the watch the look that the pinion (center wheel or whatever it is called that holds the watch hands) is not in the center of the watch between 6 and 12. it appears to be closer to 12, because of the turbillion taking up space, maybe. This would account for the 3 and 9 to look not centered between 6 and 12, as they would have to be closer to the 12, inline with said pinion. Therefore, the minute spacing closer to 6:00 would be greater than the minute spacing at 12:00.

Wow that is probably WAY too in depth.

12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Sea-Gull make some darn fine watches, particularly in their upper range. I've been eyeing a tourbillon from them recently, too.

13. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Shame they have to spoil it by calling it 'Sea Gull' - what's that about? Call me a snob but it could be the most beautiful watch in the world, if a daft name is on it (not a brand I don't respect, but just a silly name) I couldn't go there.

14. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Good choice - the terrace out back in the courtyard is nice and heated for cigar smoking, drinks, lunch etc. You can pick up a coffee from the cute French girl in the deli attached to the hotel and they have nice cakes and things and often some cheese for tasting.

Edit- plus you can walk to Delaunay nearby - fabulous breakfast there, lunch and dinner also great.

2 people like this.
  15. kimmo

kimmo Senior member

Can't make it but I can teach you how to say WTF in Finnish, if you want to ask Kari a question.

1 person likes this.
  16. haTTer

haTTer Senior member

Thanks for the feedback it's my go-to hotel in London for he precise reason you mentioned and being a hotel GM myself I appreciate the quality of service and recognition. Also love the atmosphere at Scarfs and breakfast in the Mirror room. They don't mind me smoking my own Partagas Series D4's at the terrace in the courtyard which is great ! Thanks again for the feedback. Where do you buy your cigars in bulk in London ?

17. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I can easily overlook the Sea-Gull name. It's a non-issue for me.

18. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

If you get time go and check out the Beaumont hotel in Mayfair - it's absolutely beautiful, and has a lovely bar. If you're in the trade and haven't seen it yet you would find it interesting. Same guys who run Delaunay, Wolseley, etc. Just perfect. Hard to believe it used to be the garages for Selfridges and after that an Avis.

I'm not a big smoker - just the odd stogie. I understand Davidoff on Jermyn St is highly regarded, and I think if you go to the Dunhill on Davies St you can smoke in there. If you know anyone who is a member of 5 Hertford or Mark's Club they have lovely cigar terraces. There's a cigar shop attached to 5 Hertford but I would assume it's top dollar.

19. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

I'm cursed with zero tolerance for anything, however minor, that I don't like.

20. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.