• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to love Sinn but the thickness of their watches (similar to the Omega Planet Oceans) becomes an issue for me. That special edition looks to come in at 14.5. A few mm thinner and I would like it so much more.
On the Sinn topic, I have a tegimented 856 UTC, it served me well as my daily wearer for a year in Iraq. It is currently on a tegimented bracelet, but I am thinking about moving it to leather strap with deployment buckle.

The Sinn is significantly thinner (11mm) than my Planet Ocean (16mm?) which was my welcome home present to myself for getting home with all limbs, fingers and toes.

Edited to add that I know there are thicker Sinn models, but many of the x56 (556, 856, etc) are in the 11mm range.

Last edited:

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the Sinn topic, I have a tegimented 856 UTC, it served me well as my daily wearer for a year in Iraq. It is currently on a tegimented bracelet, but I am thinking about moving it to leather strap with deployment buckle.

The Sinn is significantly thinner (11mm) than my Planet Ocean (16mm?) which was my welcome home present to myself for getting home with all limbs, fingers and toes.

Edited to add that I know there are thicker Sinn models, but many of the x56 (556, 856, etc) are in the 11mm range.
Thank I will take a look at those.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I think the black Sinn watches are GTG. They tegiment (harden) the surface before applying PVD.
They do, as does Damasko, so the finish is theoretically more resistant to wear. The black cases themselves do seem OK, until of course someone claims their slightly "brassed" case is even better because the case is now..."patinated!", but the black bracelets is really where the wear can get ugly quickly.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I think the black Sinn watches are GTG. They tegiment(harden) the surface before applying PVD.
So far the only process I've seen that holds up really well to day to day use is Cartier's ADLC. Other coatings, eventually start to chip away and look really bad.

A few friends have Sinn watches and they have been quite happy with them, but they don't have the black cases & bracelets.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dino944
@patrick_b
@Keith T

Thank you all for your feedback! It‘s for a family member who cannot go to an AD, so I suggested mailing it off. I‘ll tell them to look into USPS registered (hopefully it‘s available now).
My pleasure. Just have them call RUSA for current instructions, lead times, etc. This is from my email exchange.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Rolex Customer Service Department during our business hours from 9:00am-5:00pm EST, Monday through Friday at 212-758-7700 ext. 1580.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
Man, this one really is beautiful. Wish Patek made the case a little smaller.

View attachment 1596528
What is it with Patek and windows for everything? They almost never look good. Date window being the most obvious example. I guess this isn’t horrible because it’s kind of a unique big date execution, but the giant white area doesn’t look organic to the rest of the dial, and I’m not sure what to think about the font color of the date being different from the day and month.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Swatch Sistem51 just died, so this is a sign from God that I need to buy a new watch, right? I'm looking for something sporty and summer-y that is not a diver (which I already own). I'm going to look at the new Hermes H08, hopefully in the next few weeks. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have for other watches.

ronscuba

Reaction score
My Swatch Sistem51 just died, so this is a sign from God that I need to buy a new watch, right? I'm looking for something sporty and summer-y that is not a diver (which I already own). I'm going to look at the new Hermes H08, hopefully in the next few weeks. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have for other watches.
Cartier Santos comes to mind, but what else do you have ?

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yep, definitely a sign! Maybe another chrono? Something asymmetrical? 😁 (Kidding).

Let me think about it. I’m sure we can come up with something summery and non-diver.

Right off the bat, could I simply suggest just finding another Swatch that you like? Doesn’t have to be a Sistem 51 of course, although I’ve enjoyed mine and fortunately haven’t had any problems with it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.