• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sake of argument, say there are the effortful and effortless when it comes to style. Then, within each of those categories, there are those who benefit from discourse and those who do not.
"Then" is ambiguous. If it's supposed to indicate an inference, what follows it is a non sequitur. If it just indicates a conjunction, what follows it is an unsupported assertion.

I also think there's reason to think the assertion is false: as I understand it, the effortless-recherché distinction is meant to indicate precisely that one type of stylish person typically doesn't need or benefit from discourse, whereas the other one does. I make no claims about whether one is superior.

The above position is neutral on the question whether style is subjective or objective--a distinction which, like the one between fact and opinion and other similar ones, is too complex to be usefully deployed in this kind of conversation.

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as that is an actual photograph made by an actual owner of their actual watch👍, and not just more typically tedious predictably pedantic pompous philosophical sputtering by yooknowhoo and his infinite obsession with self-centered thread derailment 👎, I’ll take it, whole-cloth and such relief, without question or judgment
I wonder whether, from a hygiene perspective, a separate thread for abstract watch discussions wouldn't indeed be better than the intermittent fights on here. I made such a thread: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/the-watch-discussion-thread.683883/

To kick it off I asked the classic one-watch collection question, and made a suggestion. It's a watch I've not seen discussed here.

Shall we move the quasi-philosophical discussions there?

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Nice. Is that a suede strap? How do you like it?
Yessir. It’s suede, from B & R Bands. 19 mm size, which can occasionally be more difficult to find. And yeah I have been quite pleased with it so far...it’s been in place for several months. I tend to rotate multiple watches (and even straps amongst those watches!) so it won't ever get super-heavy wear.

Still loving the Polerouter too 😁 The next combo I will probably try on that one is a vintage-style beads of rice.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Do you believe a person’s style can be improved by outside influences and ideas, such as what one might discuss on an internet forum? Then you don’t actually believe style is subjective.
No, I do not think that one's sense of style can be influenced by the opinion of others.
But influences can be adopted by those whom have seen something they like and are impressed enough to add said influence to their style skill set.

Style is something. But "subjective"? No,I would say it's an abstract construct.
They way we dress and adorn ourselves with trinkets either displays our own personality or it displays conformity to the point of a lack of individuality.
The need to adopt a uniform to "fit in" is a lack of style.
While the need to impress your choices upon others belies insecurity.

Last edited:

dan'l

Reaction score
Yessir. It’s suede, from B & R Bands. 19 mm size, which can occasionally be more difficult to find. And yeah I have been quite pleased with it so far...it’s been in place for several months. I tend to rotate multiple watches (and even straps amongst those watches!) so it won't ever get super-heavy wear.

Still loving the Polerouter too 😁 The next combo I will probably try on that one is a vintage-style beads of rice.
Cool, I really like the look!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some of you are overcomplicating @UnFacconable's point. Consider the following statements:

"Patek is one of the best watch brands in the world for the following reasons."

"Patek is the best watch brand in the world for the following reasons and anyone who believes otherwise is ignorant and knows nothing about watches."

Statement #1 is something on which most people can agree and a useful jumping-off point for discussion. Statement #2 is opinion masquerading as absolute fact with an undertone of condescension.

smsodhi

Reaction score
What did you think of it?
I really liked it. Definitely one to add to my collection. This is the sapphire sandwich. They also had the heselite model with solid back. My preference is this one. I like the bracelet more in this version as it tapers. I'll have to find a way to add this to my growing list of must haves to the wife. So many watches so little time 🤔

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really liked it. Definitely one to add to my collection. This is the sapphire sandwich. They also had the heselite model with solid back. My preference is this one. I like the bracelet more in this version as it tapers. I'll have to find a way to add this to my growing list of must haves to the wife. So many watches so little time 🤔
On the 1861 Speedmasters, the hesalite was the overwhelming favorite for everyone. With the 3861 Speedmasters, it seems like it's 50/50 between hesalite vs sapphire sandwich. Omega really did a good job upselling the sapphire for the 3861.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Went to the shops and tried this on. View attachment 1595095
I tried this on recently as well. I think I noted here that the bracelet is a game changer. Previously, I would have wanted any modern Speedy on a strap, but this bracelet is so phenomenally comfortable and good-looking that it would be silly to pass it up.

On the 1861 Speedmasters, the hesalite was the overwhelming favorite for everyone. With the 3861 Speedmasters, it seems like it's 50/50 between hesalite vs sapphire sandwich. Omega really did a good job upselling the sapphire for the 3861.
I still prefer Hesalite. The all-brushed bracelet that comes with it is much more tool-like. Plus, I prefer a solid case back on this sort of watch, particularly given the history.

The only plus to me for the sapphire version is the applied Omega logo on the dial.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The bracelet tapers the exact same in both sapphire and Hesalite versions of the 3861. It’s the same bracelet—only difference is that the Hesalite version is entirely brushed. They must have showed you a 1861 Hesalite.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy