• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thanks man 👍

I came into these because I pounced on respective opportunities. The tank I got a sick deal on and the sub was offered to me by my AD sooner than expected, although the timing was still right and so I pulled the trigger.

I have other watches and am trying to figure out the next move. Ideally, I want a 3-4 watch collection which will be my watch wardrobe. I'd like to add a 36MM DD to my collection but am not quite sure about which permutation.

This is in fact a nuanced proposition since many other watches could fit the bill. But like others have stated, the 2 in question are the archetypical models in our society. So do I veer from that or stay content?
I personally don’t like the “wardrobe” approach. Unlike clothing, you can wear the same watch every day without social or hygienic concerns. Plus, watches are purely optional! There should be little to no consideration for what you “should” buy.

I’d buy what you love but take the time to learn what you are likely to love the most enduringly.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. And yes, I'm extremely happy with these choices, both are here to stay (unlike a PAM 177 that I sold on after a few years). And I totally agree with your description of post Mk XV IWC.
I should add that my Sub is also here to stay =)

Glad you are content.....I need to get there someday!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you. And yes, I'm extremely happy with these choices, both are here to stay (unlike a PAM 177 that I sold on after a few years). And I totally agree with your description of post Mk XV IWC.
Any other want-to-haves?

I should add that my Sub is also here to stay =)

Glad you are content.....I need to get there someday!
There is no watch better than that Submariner, just ones that might be better at different things. It could be a one-watch collection all on its own.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally don’t like the “wardrobe” approach. Unlike clothing, you can wear the same watch every day without social or hygienic concerns. Plus, watches are purely optional! There should be little to no consideration for what you “should” buy.

I’d buy what you love but take the time to learn what you are likely to love the most enduringly.
wardrobe might be a strong word, more like rotation.

Yes, I'm learning to be patient and get exactly what I want and nothing less - no more consolation purchases. However, time and $$$ are key factors.......

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have not been the biggest Nautilus fan, but then I tried one on. It feels amazing on the wrist. Something about the way the case sits just right, the relatively thin profile, and the suppleness of the bracelet. Now, whenever I see a Nautilus, I just remember that feel and secretly want one.

pmeis

Reaction score
Despite my recent purchase, out of what I have now, my two watch collection take would probably be the below. Even though it’s a sportier Tangente, at 36.5mm on the right leather strap, it‘ll work well enough for any dressier occasion I might have, while still having 100m wr allowing for utility all around. Then you just have the Shadow as the second watch basically because it’s awesome. Could sub out the Shadow for the new Hermes of course.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite my recent purchase, out of what I have now, my two watch collection take would probably be the below. Even though it’s a sportier Tangente, at 36.5mm on the right leather strap, it‘ll work well enough for any dressier occasion I might have, while still having 100m wr allowing for utility all around. Then you just have the Shadow as the second watch basically because it’s awesome. Could sub out the Shadow for the new Hermes of course.

What shadow is that? I thought it was in all black?!? That one looks awesome!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The Shadow really is killer. I realize that all black, tactical-looking watches are very trendy right now, but this one has a timeless design and does not at all feel gimmicky. It just looks like a serious tool watch, somewhat reminiscent of the IWC 3705 in its black ceramic case. I can see this becoming a a classic.

I am not as big a fan of Nomos in general. I find their aesthetic very . . . specific. Often they feel like the sort of watch people buy when they want to very desperately signal that they are into design or architecture. That said, it’s a fantastic value for money. Also I really, really like the grey dial on yours, particularly combined with the white minute markers and darker grey strap. It’s really quite nice.

As a combo, I enjoy the greyscale theme. Both watches exhibit a lot of texture and layered detail that are highlighted by being monochromatic. This is a cool way to cohere your collection.

I would not dare lose either of these for the Hermes, particularly the Shadow.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since the Sub and Tank, and the Daytona and Calatrava have both been done already...If I could add one more to make my ideal 2 watch collection it would be

View attachment 1593220View attachment 1593224
Okay, okay—I will relinquish my Lange hate for the purposes of this exercise. Excellent combo and slightly less obvious than the other two you mention.

The GMT needs no validation. It is another potential one-watch candidate and doesn’t even really need a partner. Aesthetically, the Pepsi is a standout. No other watch expresses so much color so well. You can wear this with anything short of black tie. Personally, I would never bother actually using the GMT function, but I do love the romance of travel that it expresses.

Although I don’t like Langes, I cannot deny that the 1815 is great value for money, very high quality, and one of the more versatile dress watches around. You can more easily wear this casually than a Tank, yet it does pretty much everything else a Tank can do. It’s only real de-merit is that it is not a Patek Calatrava :devil:

Together, you have a fantastic pair. Between the two, so much ground covered: steel and precious metal, bracelet and strap, complicated and simple, sport and dress, Swiss and German, etc. Very well thought out (or fortuitous!).

pmeis

Reaction score
Must be my screen. It looks dark blue and grey to me
Time to recalibrate your screen then. It’s basically all grey except for the main dial and the strap that are black (and the text being white of course). The subdials And the tachymeter basically match the case color.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to recalibrate your screen then. It’s basically all grey except for the main dial and the strap that are black (and the text being white of course). The subdials And the tachymeter basically match the case color.
Thanks!😂

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo - I share your mehness on Nomos. I keep wanting to like them, but they just leave me feeling ambivalent. I respect the hell out of the product and the work behind it, but I have yet to see something from Nomos that makes me happy. If I'm spending thousands of dollars on a luxury purchase, my emotional state better start at happy and go straight through euphoria.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.