• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not a fan. The new 6119G is nice though, if anyone still buys dress watches.

View attachment 1591726
To possibly approach the issue from a different angle - I think _having_ a dress watch vs _buying_ a "new" one is something that will become more of a thing, insofar as the move away from situational dress-watch attire proliferates, dress watches (to an even larger extent than at present) will remain as heirloom pieces, or vintage acquisitions?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This all reminds me of a lesson my father taught me about wine when he opened a bottle of DRC Montrachet to share a couple years ago. He said: “When you drink most wines, you are learning about your own preferences. When you drink this wine, you are learning about what good wine should be, regardless of what you prefer.”
damn that's a 5-10k bottle - did you like it ?

thuhoan

Reaction score
Yeah, not a fan. The new 6119G is nice though, if anyone still buys dress watches.

View attachment 1591726
I do still. Got myself the VC Traditionnelle. I have a weak spot for small seconds, so I really like this Calatrava.
maxresdefault.jpg

Edit: now I don't know which one I like more. Oh well, can't have everything. They look alike, but also very different.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Am I the only person who wears dress my dress watch in casual settings? I have zero qualms wearing my MUT moon with Patagonia baggies and an OC t-shirt.
Like I said, depends on the dress watch. I wear my Calatrava with pretty much anything.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A whopper of news for some of us:

“[...] a brand representative has confirmed to aBlogtoWatch that for the first time ever, Rolex will be selling its bracelets to consumers independent of watch purchases.”

Not clear what the constraints may be. You might be limited to bracelets for a model you own or have to swap your old bracelet. Sounds like details will be forthcoming over the next several months.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentleman,

I was hoping for a little advice.
Background: I have inherited a few watches, none of which seem to fit our lifestyle/wants/needs. My wife and I have decided to move on from these and use the proceeds to start fresh. While we determine how best to move these watches and determine our budget for future purchases, I have started doing research so we will be ready.
Our plan is to each end up with one daily wearer and one dress watch.
For my dress watch I am thinking of going with a very simple SS watch with Alligator band. I have found four similar dress watches I like n the $4,000 to $8,000 range.
  1. IWC Portofino (40mm), (IW356501), MSRP $4,700
  2. Omega Deville Tresor (40mm), (435-13-40-21-02-001), MSRP $6,500
  3. Jaeger Le-Coultre Master Ultrathin (39mm), (1218420), MSRP $7,650
  4. Ulysse Nardin Classico Manfacturer (40 mm), (3203-136-2/30), MSRP $8,300

I believe that all of these could easily be worn with a suit but would also work well with trousers and a sweater or sportcoat if I wanted to wear it to the office.
I would like to purchase new if possible but I have no problem going with a grey dealer if I can save significant money. Initial research indicates each of these watches can be found discounted at a grey dealer (the UN with significant discount.)
This discussion does not involve similar price point watches: Reverso, Tank, or Rolex OP (assuming I could even get one in SS) as these will most likely be heavy players for my wife’s dress watch.
Appreciate any information or advise you can give me regarding these watches or brands overall. I would also be interested in additional options you may have.

Thank you

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only person who wears dress my dress watch in casual settings? I have zero qualms wearing my MUT moon with Patagonia baggies and an OC t-shirt.
No. I used to wear a dress watch with shorts, a polo and sandals. Then a band snapped and the only reason that I didn't lose my watch is because it happened to fall as my arm was swinging forward while walking, and it fell forward vs. back, which let me see it go flying.

My key takeaway: spring, summer is rubber, nato or metal. Only.

Gentleman,

I was hoping for a little advice.
Background: I have inherited a few watches, none of which seem to fit our lifestyle/wants/needs. My wife and I have decided to move on from these and use the proceeds to start fresh. While we determine how best to move these watches and determine our budget for future purchases, I have started doing research so we will be ready.
Our plan is to each end up with one daily wearer and one dress watch.
For my dress watch I am thinking of going with a very simple SS watch with Alligator band. I have found four similar dress watches I like n the $4,000 to $8,000 range.

I believe that all of these could easily be worn with a suit but would also work well with trousers and a sweater or sportcoat if I wanted to wear it to the office.
I would like to purchase new if possible but I have no problem going with a grey dealer if I can save significant money. Initial research indicates each of these watches can be found discounted at a grey dealer (the UN with significant discount.)
This discussion does not involve similar price point watches: Reverso, Tank, or Rolex OP (assuming I could even get one in SS) as these will most likely be heavy players for my wife’s dress watch.
Appreciate any information or advise you can give me regarding these watches or brands overall. I would also be interested in additional options you may have.

Thank you
With that list, I'd go with the JLC moon. I've had all of them on wrist, and I enjoyed the JLC the most. I have friends who own it and their professions are all over the place, and it's never looked out of place.

My wife is eying the JLC rendez vous, which is another great everyday piece for women.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A whopper of news for some of us:

“[...] a brand representative has confirmed to aBlogtoWatch that for the first time ever, Rolex will be selling its bracelets to consumers independent of watch purchases.”

Not clear what the constraints may be. You might be limited to bracelets for a model you own or have to swap your old bracelet. Sounds like details will be forthcoming over the next several months.
Copying the Omega model of selling accessories!

For once Rolex is being customer friendly.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go for the JLC MUT. If your budget were a little higher, I would vote for the moon phase version, ref. 1368420. That is a seriously beautiful watch.

I will also say that I am not familiar with many Ulysse Nardin pieces, so I looked up the one that you listed. That is a very nice piece. I almost never like Roman numerals on watches, but that one is very, very nice especially with the blue dial. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy