• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, if you dig really deep into this thread, you would find that I have always been a big fan of the Patek 5711 and AP 15202 - and those two were always my reasonable-ish grail watches. Well, I have since given up on both of them, and am aiming for something else - which is outside of the luxury SS sports watch category.

That said, I'd like to fill that gap one day, and think that the Bulgari Octo Finissimo is pretty damn amazing and a great candidate. Unique design, looks to be solid quality, horologically interesting, and all for the price of $12k retail (looks like you can get for 15-20% less). I am kind of shocked these have not become more popular, particularly given the trajectory of the luxury SS sports watch category. In my view, it really makes you question the "value proposition" of some other options out there.

View attachment 1591415
I have a large soft spot for Bvlgari going back 20 some years and just bought a hideous Diagono travel watch everyone hates. AND, the single best retail experience I've ever had was at the Bvlgari boutique in Prague, where they treated me like royalty for a couple hours, even after I told them I wasnt buying anything. I took my wife back and bought her something the next day because of the impression they made.

I love this watch, but I dont know that I could wear it, as has been mentioned. It wears big in an odd way and in spite of it's surprising thinness. I second the idea of getting a Czapek so you can post a bunch of pictures I can vicariously enjoy...

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally unfair, but many years ago I walked past their store in Knightsbridge with this very upper-crust English friend and he was like: "Ha! More like Vulgari!" And that has remained with me ever since, although he has not -- come to think of it.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally unfair, but many years ago I walked past their store in Knightsbridge with this very upper-crust English friend and he was like: "Ha! More like Vulgari!" And that has remained with me ever since, although he has not -- come to think of it.
"Good Heavens! I was once”—he spoke as though he had fallen from the Command of a Regiment—“an Oxford Man!”
“You,” said McIntosh, slowly, “have not had that advantage; but, to outward appearance, you do not seem possessed of a craving for strong drinks. On the whole, I fancy that you are the luckier of the two. Yet I am not certain. You are—forgive my saying so even while I am smoking your excellent tobacco—painfully ignorant of many things.”

- Kipling

Plus ca change...

chocomallo

Reaction score
“In truth, I find that people in “the arts” tend to be quite myopic. They know their own thing but have limited peripheral vision. At least us “modern banksters” put our money where are mouths are when it comes to such “baubles”.

What do the tastes of people in the watch industry, like Roger Smith and Jean-Claude Biver, tell you? Or is that irrelevant compared to what a sculptor or painter thinks?”

Leonardo da Vinci = myopic artist

foo = puts money where mouth is

Y’all this shit is too funny...
I am not sure which is larger, the amount of money he spends on watches or the number of personalities he has. The latter is enough to fill a stadium. TheFoo is worthy of preservation on the UNESCO world heritage list. To be fair, bankers put other people’s money in their mouths, not their own. Judging by Foo’s prolific posting, he isn’t banking many deals, though. But he does own an intentionally mutilated Daytona (a Footona if you will) and a Patek that he apparently force feeds to his infant child (I assume the boy isn’t teething yet since Foo is not cool with even a little shop wear on his cases). Foo has so many greatest hits on this watch thread alone that his greatest hits have their own greatest hits. John Mayer would be jealous.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I should listen to the navel gazing, overthinking academic instead of the master watchmaker. Got it. Definitely time for me to reevaluate my entire life.
Complain to Foo, not to me: he's the one who suggested that Roger Smith wearing a modern Rolex was an argument in favour of wearing modern Rolex. Because see, what watch to wear is an aesthetic decision, not a watchmaking one.
Did I say all artists are good guides to aesthetics? My claim was that, typically, the best guides to aesthetics are to be found in the arts, design, and scholarly worlds.

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can't crap on the banker bubble from the art bubble. It is the perceived desire for superiority based on belonging that grates people.
I'm inclined to agree. But each bubble has its field of expertise. When one talks about horology enthusiasts who buy modern Daytonas and such one is largely talking about the banker bubble these days, which is tantamount to claiming the wrong expertise for that particular group. (Which is why, incidentally, the claim that my argument was ad hominem is ludicrous.)

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
As if poorer people have better taste. Why turn this into a class issue?
Thank goodness i'm poor. I can't imagine the stupid shit i would buy without having to take time and think about things for a while first. This process of being poor and having to aspire to things gives me the opportunity to think clearly and filter out whims for actual good taste.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile on Hodinkee: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/audemars-piguet-black-panther-watch-live-pics-pricing

I honestly didn't think they would stoop so low. The hell of tasteless rich people's baubles is deeper than I thought.
where do I begin with regard to this watch?

first, as an avid comic book reader during my childhood I can tell you that the black panther was a marginal figure in the marvel universe.

second, whenever an established company feels the need to do some sort of “collaboration” with some subject of pop culture, that company automatically loses some credibility with me. This sentiment holds true for those ridiculous “007” Omegas.

third, has HODINKEE ever written something critical of a new timepiece? They seem to have their head up every manufacturers ass. Their reviews are reminding me of those Gene Shalit movie reviews; never a bad word.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Hodinkee should do a Week On The Wrist with the Black Panther watch but film it as a recreation of The Chronic(what!)cles of Narnia" video from Lonely Island.

With their cringe worthy Submariner video, they have a good template to work with. Just needs solid creative direction on how to blend the ideas together for the AP.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
"The shrunken size is a big deal, but let's be honest: It's nothing compared to the biggest news of the day, which is that Rolex made one of these 36mm Explorers in two-tone metal, steel and gold. You simply could not have drawn up a watch more in line with my horological sensibilities. When the news broke yesterday morning, and I saw the first image of the two-tone, I let out an audible gasp. This was at 6:00 AM, and I may or may not have awakened both my wife and my dog. "

watches an Alison Roman video once. Applies to Hodinkee.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"The shrunken size is a big deal, but let's be honest: It's nothing compared to the biggest news of the day, which is that Rolex made one of these 36mm Explorers in two-tone metal, steel and gold. You simply could not have drawn up a watch more in line with my horological sensibilities. When the news broke yesterday morning, and I saw the first image of the two-tone, I let out an audible gasp. This was at 6:00 AM, and I may or may not have awakened both my wife and my dog. "

watches an Alison Roman video once. Applies to Hodinkee.
I'm waiting for Hodinkee to hire Rupi Kaur.

i know i
should crumble
for better reasons
but have you seen
that watch
it brings
the sun
to the steel
every light

1618230951637.png

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Threads of Apollo Leather Jackets: Which 2-tone colourway do you like the best?

• Blue

• Red

• Gold

• All of the Above

• None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.