• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

chocomallo

Reaction score
Who’s being cynical? There is always more to want and desire that is out of reach for whatever reason. Don’t convince yourself that any luxury item “should” be yours and you’ll be a lot more happy and rational about life.

Ultimately, watches are baubles and nothing of any real importance. Proceed accordingly.
LOL. Says the man obsessing over some shop wear on a special bauble he wants for his big birthday.

chocomallo

Reaction score
Let me get this straight:

1. Spend $$$$$$$$$ on AD relationship so that you can buy a S/C Daytona for $$$
2. Sell for $$$$
3. Tell people if they want a Daytona they need to have enough money to spend on the AD relationship, but not enough money to actually want the watch they spent the money to acquire.

Ok...
I believe TheFoo is self identifying as watch rich, cash poor. Not to be confused with house rich, cash poor, but that could be the case as well.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree, but how many different watches command over msrp ? Specific brands and specific models ? These particular brands and models seem to have appeal beyond just the watch. The Daytona is a nice chrono, but there are a lot of nice chronos from other brands. The Submariner. What is it about the watch that makes it command above msrp ? I can get a Seamaster or Planet Ocean just walking into the store.

If people are willing to defy logic and pay substantially above msrp just because they want a specific watch from a specific brand and cannot wait, well, that might bring along someone who sees a $ making opportunity.
you can't do this with every commodity. not just any sweatshirt or sports watch. there has to be a corner of value.

so you find a corner. paragon steel sports watch. paragon skate brand. paragon whatever. southern stoneware is interesting! dave drake. paragon. *value*.

and it gets cornered. by *enthusiasts*. *collectors*, *hobbyists*, *middlemen*. *speculators*. *hypebeasts*. and finally, *suckers*.

the wheel will stop. value will out.

dan'l

Reaction score
Speaking of making things true that're on the net, can we put our wish list for what models our favourite makers should do next here, and then have somebody make sure they get that info?
Lately I‘ve been lusting after gold watches. It‘d be great if Rolex introduces a PM watch without a date. So far the only one is the Daytona. I‘d be keen in something along the lines of an Explorer in YG (brushed, since I‘m dreaming) or an OP in 39mm in gold. Of course then I‘d have to wait until they are available used, since I can hardly afford a PM watch new.

I realize that PM watches are at the higher end of most brand‘s catalogs, so it makes sense that the top-of-the-line models are the ones eligible for gold, platinum, etc., versus the „base“ models. But how cool would it be to have a simple watch like the OP in YG?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Threads of Apollo Leather Jackets: Which 2-tone colourway do you like the best?

• Blue

• Red

• Gold

• All of the Above

• None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.