• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly can't stand when people cherry pick typos like I just did, but it was too much of a softball to pass up.
Hahaha. I love it. I live for **** like that. Kudos to you. Now, time to get some coffee and take pictures of my watches.

ronscuba

Reaction score
I think OEM straps are the biggest ripoff in the watch game. What's Omega selling those for? $500? Why pay OEM markups when you can get excellent straps for (a still absurd) $200 all over the place?

Edit to add: I have a nice shell cordovan watch strap that I got from Hodinkee for ~$200 a few years ago. But think about the amount of leather and craftsmanship required to make a watch strap, compared to a pair of shoes. Every time I wonder why a pair of Aldens cost $700 I look down at my wrist and stop wondering.
Not sure I will buy an Omega strap, but I do like being able to see the strap on my exact watch. It will help me choose even if do not get an OEM.

Last edited:

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS - 43, hold a BSc (Hons); PhD in Astro (neurtralinos) and a MSc (Eng) Silicas.

Will be fine.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think OEM straps are the biggest ripoff in the watch game. What's Omega selling those for? $500? Why pay OEM markups when you can get excellent straps for (a still absurd) $200 all over the place?

Edit to add: I have a nice shell cordovan watch strap that I got from Hodinkee for ~$200 a few years ago. But think about the amount of leather and craftsmanship required to make a watch strap, compared to a pair of shoes. Every time I wonder why a pair of Aldens cost $700 I look down at my wrist and stop wondering.
Subtract $250 for the SS deployant clasp, $2790 for gold deployant clasp, $540 for gold pin buckle, or $50 for the SS pin buckle to get the price of the strap. Prices are for 18mm buckles and clasps. 16mm pins and buckles are probably cheaper.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hand make watch straps and I can tell you there is a reason leather workers will specialize in them. They are a pain ********** to make, and need to be correct across several points in their construction. Every little element is important. One bit off and they just don't work, in particular when making them for deployant clasps.

I agree on the OEM pricing, but if a customer wants an Omega Strap on their Omega watch, Omega is in a position to capitalize on it and has responded accordingly.

-DL

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL.

This is the best watch thread on the internet thanks to its cast of characters, your company included. To name a few:

George Red - Senior law partner who never bothers to read what is written to him; excellent taste and collection
Dino - Never loses patience with idiots; also excellent taste and collection
TheFoo - Village idiot who somehow passed the NY bar; mediocre investment banker with modest budget yet big fish; peak Patek and Prosche
Riva - Sorely missed
Medwed - Probably dead from vodka poisoning or in Siberian prison; trolls better than TheFoo
am55 - Most cultured man on StyleForum (voxsartoria included)
9thsymph - Better education than TheFoo; total savage
Chocomallo - Idiot and asshole (bit part)

Definitely, one of the most amusing posts here in a while. Thanks for the entertainment and kind words.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a plug for Guarded Goods straps as well (@Deusis) . I have two of his shell cordovan "Single Pass" straps (NATO like) and they are great. Unfortunately, while they are 20mm and worked great on my Seamaster, they don't fit easily under the spring bars of my Rolex GMTII. I no longer own the Seamaster so they sit unused until I get another 20mm lug watch.

Edited to add pics:

gg1.jpg
gg2.jpg
gg3.jpg
gg4.jpg

Will likely give @DavidLane a try at something for the new Speedy. It's 19mm so I don't have anything that will work other than the OEM strap. Will have to see what it looks like upon receipt. Seller says he wore the bracelet 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads